Obituary thread of notable and obscure folk: Actor Earl Cameron, 102

1,464 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

Nicholas Parsons, TV & radio personality, has died aged 96

RIP

Just a Minute's Silence, "without hesitation, repetition or deviation"

Sad day...

14 minutes ago, French bean said:

Used to love listening to Just a Minute when travelling home from work.

There is an internet radio channel for non stop episodes.

I remember watching Spartacus,  Kirk Douglas was   really good, and I still remember Khachaturian's music-Adagio. ( Also used in the Onedin Line!)

RIP

He also played in many westerns. He played in Paths of Glory by Stanley Kubrick and he was a very good Vincent van Gogh. A Hollywood GOAT.

From a Facebook post:

Grim Reaper Not Sure Who to Take After Thousands Proclaim ‘I Am Kirk Douglas’
~ The Hardtimes. net

Kirk Doglas was truely  a film legend. May he rest in peace.

@sarabyrd's FB tribute to Kirk Douglas:

There are not enough words on all of Facebook to honor Kirk Douglas. It's not just the (literally!) rags to riches story. It's not just an actor of the golden age of Hollywood. It's not just an old, old man.
It's the determination to be an actor, in his own way. It's about declining lucrative roles to act roles that he deemed important. It's about never forgetting what poverty feels like and caring for the poor. It's about ensuring that children get the education every one of them deserves. It's about providing a self-respecting living situation for people who need a chance to get their lives back together.
It's about being an actor, an artist, a director, a singer, a person whose energy exhausted others but brought out their best.
It's about a long life well-lived, with joy, tragedy, danger, risks, success. It's time to say good-bye.

Image may contain: 2 people, possible text that says 'I WAS SPARTACUS! Rest in peace, Kirk Douglas'

My cousin wrote, 'My mother, born 5 months later than he, attended St. Lawrence University and was a casual participant in their theater productions when “Izzy” Demsky was a student there. She told me that, even then, everyone knew he was going to be a star.'

Yes Magmax - Agreed. And having known several people who lived to be over 100, one who lived to be 111, all notable too!

Kirk Douglas in 'Lust for Life'! Seeing the film inspired me to read Irving Stone's wonderful book, which I recommend, by the same name.

Daily Motion has the film online for free (in 40 minute parts) here:  https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ar0nu 

I thought the Queen Mum was amazing living to 101 and here Kirk beat her by two years. 

Robert Conrad, star of Wild Wild West, dies at age 84.

one of the original 'how do we get his shirt off this week' stars.

5e3f4cae2f402_robertconrad.JPG.864ac6613

A true legend and Diva. Mirella Freni has passed away at age 84.

Freni had a lovely voice, and she was also a cutie-pie. She and Pavarotti were lifelong friends, beginning in their childhood.