5cccb5c773098_Chewbacca050119.jpg.5ed81c

'Pardon?'

On 3.5.2019, 17:29:49, Wulfrun said:

Peter Mayhew, the actor who played Chewbacca died on 30th April

May the force be with him :(

RIP

From the BBC

Rest in peace. :(

‘People miming on this very stage on the Royal Command Show, how dare they. They’re cheating. They have a man stood behind the curtain with a tape machine. He flicks it on, the music comes through the speakers and you think it’s those artists singing well it’s not, they’re miming. Cheats. Ladies and gentlemen, I’d like to sing you a beautiful song now, it’s called Vincent…’

On 3/5/2019, 2:54:49, 2B_orNot2B said:

Nobody has been able to edit the title for quite a while now.

Reports have been made either on the thread which @Editor Bob opened for the purpose of being alerted to post-update bugs or the one for suggestions for improvements to TT. Apparently those threads are no longer monitored otherwise we'd have to assume EB does not care to act, which may be a possibility but not really likely IMO.

I'm just guessing here but there's a possibility that the board software may have some automatic default setting which disables the title edit button after a preset number of changes to a thread have been made.

That might make sense in view of the history of editor warring since the days of the usenet which still causes international disputes on such sites as Wikipedia today.

If my guess is correct it may require dumping of the earlier thread title edit history in order to be able to reinstate the function.

I don't know whether reporting your own post with a request to reinstate the thread edit button function might work as it may not be within the powers of a mod to do so. 

OTOH if EdBob (who presumably holds the administrator rights to do so) should see it perhaps we might all be able to let Windsor Davies, (who I found to be a much more generous drinking companion than Michael Caine when they and Sean Connery slipped into the corner of the bar beside me in the Bear & Staff in 1976), finally Rest In Peace.

2B

Woo, hoo, we can edit the title again. Dunno if it was your doing, if so Cheers!

A classic. I would roar watching this.

Conway played a postal employee who has gone postal and been reassigned to the dead letter office after biting a dog, in the movie Dear God.
Dear God trailer

Australian PM Bob Hawke

No Australian by a long shot, but heard today he died.  Personally sad for me.  In 1985 I was at university in Texas, oddly enough, and was at a gathering near Johnson City, Texas.  Had something to do either with Austin, Texas and a city in Australia or sister universities.  Cannot recall.  It was on a rather extravagant ranch.  Aside from the a-list of politicians, there were Texas Rangers, FBI, Secret Service and Australian LE.  For me, as I was about to go into federal LE it was big.  Eventually one of the Rangers took me into the game room where I had a beer and talked to some people.  A man walked up to the group and asked if anyone was interested in a game of snooker.  He had a beer in hand, as did I.  I looked at the others who consenus stated they didn't know snooker.  I did.  I offered to play and introduced myself, as did the man, 'Hi I'm Bob'.  We played two games to which he truly ran the table.  The LE guys stayed and watched.  Bob and I had a grand time.  He asked about me and my future, as I was 21 at the time.  A really nice, down to earth guy.  I vividly recall asking about him and what he did.  He was so humble, his only reply was a smile and stated, 'nothing significant'.  His words. He was in the process of a shot, so I went over to get another pint for me and asked one for him as well.  One of the Secret Service agents leaned in to me and said, 'Hondo, you do know who that is, don't you'.  No. who?  The fookin Australian Prime Minister! I was shocked.  'Bob' is a PM?!  Yes, he is.  I brought him his pint and stated something along the lines of Mr PM I wasn't aware and I think I was too informal with you and offered my apologies.  He blew them off and told me, to not worry as he is enjoying himself and did simply state his name was 'Bob'.  After our snooker games ended, we talked for about 10 more minutes.  What a truly good man.

I didn't know his politics and honestly could have cared fookin less.  He was simply a good guy and I enjoyed spending about 30 - 45 minutes with him and sharing a few beverages.  I played snooker, shared a pint and learned a few wise things from a PM.  Rather cool, that.

Bob, I enjoyed that.  34 years on, and it was my one truly memorable brush with a famous person.  Cheers! 

What a lovely story, dear Bayrisch!

😍🙏🏻👍🏼

I sincerely hope that we two/too can have a beer together over a game of snooker before we clog it!

Dear TT folks- I joined TT the other week or decade or so and - LISTEN UP- I was mercilessly bullied by some then members and Bayrisch was lovely and kind and funny and supportive. 

We have never met fist-to-fist but he makes great bags, has an insane Mexican-Scottish accent on Skype and is on my bucket list of people to meet before he dies!!😂

I am going AFTER him- have some tax payments to make first!

Noblesse oblige et al!!

@john g, we will John, we will.  Thank you for the kind words.  Nice way to start the day of an otherwise shite week! :D

Nice story Bayerisch! Sharing things like that is what TT is about. RIP Mr Hawke.