Obituary thread of notable and obscure folk: Niki Lauda

1,187 posts in this topic

George H W Bush that is.

I didn't take much interest in US politics back in his days, but from all the tributes coming in, he was a well respected and liked man.

Shame that we don't have leaders with his integrity these days.

The funeral has certainly helped to purge a few more dumpers from my friend list.

Always a humble, reserved man. His views were obviously middle of the road, and never extreme.

An honourable and polite person, so rare in politics nowadays.

18 minutes ago, hooperski said:

Always a humble, reserved man. His views were obviously middle of the road, and never extreme.

An honourable and polite person, so rare in politics nowadays.

Absolutely. I liked the fact that he'd been in the Paras. imho we need more ex-military in politics. They tend to "know".

Too few politicians have military, industrial or scientific experience.  Most appear to be social climbers who are unable to put forward positive ideas to improve overall social standards. 

2 minutes ago, Clive2677 said:

Too few politicians have military, industrial or scientific experience.  Most appear to be social climbers who are unable to put forward positive ideas to improve overall social standards. 

You must forgive me. I'm in the middle of "Downton Abbey at Christmas". Set in 1920, when there were values present everywhere which have practically vanished today. You see, my mother in law who I will see this Christmas is exactly like Dame Maggie Smith, and in my early middle age, I feel I may be becoming something like both of them.

One of the best things I remember about Paddy was when the tabloids revealed he had an affair with his secretary. Instead of being mealy mouthed like the tories caught out or flatly denying it, he stood up and said yes he had and what are they going to do about it. It took the wind out of their sails and showed he was better than others in Parliament.

12 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

Absolutely. I liked the fact that he'd been in the Paras. imho we need more ex-military in politics. They tend to "know".

He was a Royal Marine and a member of the SBS. Dealing with boys like Cameron or Blair would have been so easy for him.

3 hours ago, French bean said:

He was a Royal Marine and a member of the SBS. Dealing with boys like Cameron or Blair would have been so easy for him.

I also felt the same way about John Smith the leader of Labour (he came after Kinnock I believe). I watched his great mind at the dispatch box giving hell to Thatcher which took some doing. Another who would've been a good PM.

I recently saw her in an episode of Midsomer Murders (Inspector Barnaby 16.4).  Like many of my age, I was familiar mainly with her comedy including from radio but there she was just utterly fantastic in a strong dramatic role.  Touching and moving, my eyes watered a bit at the end :wub:.  Not exactly a noted "weepie" of a show but the great comedienne pulled it off there :D.

A wonderful, versatile actress. Yes, i also remember her in radio comedy in my extreme youth!

She appeared in many tv serials, and who can forget her AbFab role as mum to Jennifer Saunders! Make them laugh up there, June!

Yes, she was in an extraordinary number of things by the looks of it.   I mentioned I have specific references spanning perhaps a decade so that was the series with Scott and News Huddlines (approx 75-85) but we can multiply about seven times.   I did not know she was in Carry On, or what is possibly the most famous UK comedy sketch, from the 50s: The Blood Donor.   I did watch some early LOTSW too which I also enjoyed but, again, no idea she was in it later.

It might almost be easier to list what she was not in, even EastEnders was on her resume.   Clearly always in high demand.   Also perhaps a surprise that the Damehood was very recent, last year, although she had been honoured before.