Obituary thread of notable or obscure folk: Wilko Johnson: Dr Feelgood star dies aged 75

2,094 posts in this topic

On 14.10.2022, 19:28:58, snowingagain said:

Robby Coltrane.  I liked all sorts of his.  Cracker.  And of course my kids loved him as Hagrid.

Rest in peace Robbie Coltrane. I loved him in Cracker, also in Harry Potter.

He was also amazing in this Kate Bush video.

2 hours ago, Anna66 said:

He was also amazing in this Kate Bush video.

I've liked that  track since I first bought Sensual World, but I never saw the video. That was nice. Was that Noel Fielding at the end as well?

22 hours ago, pappnase said:

I've liked that  track since I first bought Sensual World, but I never saw the video. That was nice. Was that Noel Fielding at the end as well?

I'm not sure to be honest. But yes a great track :)

22 hours ago, pappnase said:

Yes, it is Noel Fielding, currently of the Great British Bake Off.  I was quite taken aback watching the video and by Noel being in it, I'd never seen that video before.  It's also so relevant for today.

Great music but there was that very unsavoury marriage weirdness...

On December 12, 1957, at the age of 13, Myra Brown married Jerry Lee Lewis, then 22, in Hernando, Mississippi.[3][2] When Lewis arrived in London for a 37-date tour in May 1958, Brown revealed to a reporter at the airport that she was his wife.[4] Lewis asserted that Brown was 15 years old and was his wife of two months. However, it was discovered that she was only 13, and that they had been married for five months.[5] This caused an uproar and after a few dates the tour was cancelled.[4] 

By the time they returned to Memphis, it had been discovered that Brown was not only Lewis' wife, she was also his first cousin once removed.[6][7] In addition, Lewis had not yet divorced his previous wife, Jane Mitcham.[4] After Lewis finalized his divorce from Mitcham, he remarried Brown on June 4, 1958.[5] The scandal over the marriage destroyed Lewis' promising rock and roll career,,,

By 1970, Lewis' drug addiction, alcoholism, and infidelity took a toll on their marriage.[10] Brown filed for divorce on the grounds of adultery and abuse,[5] charging that she had been "subject to every type of physical and mental abuse imaginable."[4][10] Their divorce was finalized on December 9, 1970. They had two children, Steve Allen Lewis (1959–1962), who drowned at age three, and daughter Phoebe Allen Lewis (b. 1963). Phoebe Lewis-Loftin later became her father's manager and lived at his ranch in Nesbit, Mississippi until 2012, when he married Judith Brown,[11] the ex-wife of his first cousin once removed, Rusty Brown (Myra Gale's brother).[12]

Shortly after her divorce, Brown married Pete Malito,[13] the detective she had hired to trail Lewis and document his infidelities,[14] and moved to Atlanta, Georgia. The marriage lasted a year and a half. After they divorced, Brown worked as a receptionist to support her daughter as a single parent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myra_Lewis_Williams

12 hours ago, fraufruit said:

That was terrific!

Danke!  I was a bit rusty

Leslie Phillips.  Ding Dong.  Ask not for whom the bell tolls...

Really only remembered for the Carry On films, but had a long and varied career.

58 minutes ago, hooperski said:

Leslie Phillips.  Ding Dong.  Ask not for whom the bell tolls...

Really only remembered for the Carry On films, but had a long and varied career.

The Navy Lark (radio comedy series)...   He reached the age of 98.

Gal Costa, Brazil's most popular female singer, dies at 77. I bet this is creating even greater headlines than Brazil's preparations for the World Cup.

Brazil's Janice Joplyn ( but lived longer)...