Obituary thread of notable or obscure folk: Christine McVie Singer with Fleetwood Mac

2,102 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Yarra said:

I am so glad she gets a well deserved mention here. Growing up with the sounds of the Seekers, it was so sad to hear she has gone.  However, her beautiful voice will live on.

I was listening to the Seekers songs over the weekend and one song that I don't remember as a kid but was surprisingly patriotic was, I am You are We are Australian.   The State of Victoria is going to give her a State funeral to “honor the life and contribution of a true icon of Australian music.

The Seekers accompanied my children and me on a round-trip cross-country journey in 1965. They were so good to listen to.

Olivia Newton -John- RIP. Born in the UK,  emigrated as a child to Australia.

A joy to listen to,  fun to watch in 'Grease",  a fighter for Cancer research, and sadly lost her 3rd battle with breast cancer.

Fun fact to lighten the sad passing of a childhood screen crush; she was also known (in Britain anyway) as "Olivia Neutron-Bomb", oh how little did we know, her Grandfather was Max Born

In January 1933, the Nazi Party came to power in Germany, and Born, who was Jewish, was suspended from his professorship at the University of Göttingen. He emigrated to the United Kingdom, where he took a job at St John's College, Cambridge, and wrote a popular science book, The Restless Universe, as well as Atomic Physics, which soon became a standard textbook.

Jean-Jaques Sempe - Illustrated  "Le petit Nicholas/Der kleine Nick" died August 11th, 2022. My children adored those books

Eddie Butler , the well known and highly respected Rugby Union commentator had died at the age of 65. I always enjoyed his commentaries , especially when he was with Brian Moore. The two were perfectly matched and made the game so much more enjoyable. Rugby Union has some pretty complicated rules and it was helpful to have them explained by these two.

Louise Fletcher, who won an Oscar for her unforgettable role as Nurse Ratched in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, has died aged 88.

The US actress died at her home in the south of France, her agent said.

While she was best known for her portrayal of Nurse Ratched, Fletcher's career spanned six decades, including TV and film.

Former colleagues and fans paid tribute to the actress, calling her an "absolute great".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63019250

49 minutes ago, pappnase said:

Coolio wrote probably the first rap song I ever actually liked.

Cool number, it was also on the soundtrack for Dangerous Minds with Michelle Pfeiffer

1 hour ago, pappnase said:

Coolio wrote probably the first rap song I ever actually liked.

You mean he wrote some words to go along with an old Stevie Wonder song. 

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

You mean he wrote some words to go along with an old Stevie Wonder song. 

No I mean he wrote a rap song I liked.  The point about rap is the "words".

Obviously Stevie Wonder wrote a banging tune and some good words for passtime paradise, but the lyrics and the rap parts of Gangster Paradise meant something. It is quite possible for something to be derived from something else (like Gangsta Paradise clearly is) and still be good (Which again).