Obituary thread of notable and obscure folk: Jerry Stiller, 92

1,445 posts in this topic

Watched all of the Harry Potter films last weekend, this is such sad news...

RIP Professor Snape

Alan Rickman as Jamie in "Truly, Madly Deeply"- an emotional, funny, thoughtful movie.   One of his  wonderful roles.  Sadly missed, but  lives on in his work.

I always looked out for films starring Alan Rickman since his role in Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves. He always acted so precisely, and with such Britishness :). Very sad to hear that he's died at this early age.

Another legend taken from us much too soon. I just watched Die Hard and Dogma again recently. He stole the show in both of them, just as he did in every production he appeared in.

I've always admired Alan Sidney Patrick Rickman; such a brilliant actor. He's been a joy to watch in so many of his films and plays. One of my favorites is the 1990 release Quigley Down Under, which also starred Tom Selleck.

Some of you older folks may remember the wonderful TV series from late '70s called The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams. I remember watching the show with my family back then. On Sunday afternoons we'd all sit in front of the TV and enjoy the soulful theme tune by Thom Pace and the adventures of the frontier man hiding in the mountains from the law after being wrongly accused of a murder. Grizzly Adams would adopt a grizzly bear cub who grew to adult size and became Adams' pet friend. The rugged mountain man was a kind soul who was close to nature; taking care of other animals and befriending a mule-riding trader called Mad Jack (Denver Pyle).

The actor Dan Haggerty, who played Grizzly Adams, passed away today at the age of 74. Once again, cancer was the cause.

The Independent (Jan. 15, 2016): "The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams" Star Dan Haggerty Dies at 74

56998818749c7_GrizzlyAdams.jpg.ca67877d0  

Sad news about a man that made a character so unforgettable, they named a hockey team after him.

Abe Vigoda, of ‘The Godfather’ and ‘Barney Miller,’ Dies at 94

Jan. 26, 2016 - Abe Vigoda, the sad-faced actor who emerged from a workmanlike stage career to find belated fame in the 1970s as the earnest mobster Tessio in “The Godfather” and the dyspeptic Detective Phil Fish on the hit sitcom “Barney Miller,” died on Tuesday morning in Woodland Park, N.J. He was 94, having outlived by about 34 years an erroneous report of his death that made him a cult figure.

56a7dade0dc73_AbeVigoda.jpg.f264be728b73

I loved Barney Miller; one of my favorite shows back in the day. Abe was fantastic as Detective Sgt. Philip K. Fish. 

Paul Kantner, founding member and guitarist of Jefferson Airplane died Thursday, January 28th at age 74.

All I can say is that January has been a rough month.