Do I need a visa as non-EU citizen w/German residence permit to travel to the UK

104 posts in this topic

Yeah that's shite, since there are automated gates in T1 and your ID is essentially never checked!

Can you share your experience getting the ID from the Bundespolizei? Like, what it was called, for how long and which countries it was valid (just EU?), and how much it cost/how long it took to issue? Would be good to know form someone with recent experience.

I urgently need your advice on this, please:

I'm turkish(non-eu) and married to a Swedish(EU) citizen. He is working in Munich, Germany and I moved here with him a short while ago. A month ago, I applied at KVR for getting a residence card and now I have 2-4 weeks left until I can pick up my card. They gave me a paper, that says I can live/work in Germany for 3 months, this is what I have until I pick up my card.

Here's the twist: I need to go to London asap for one day for a dream job interview. Of course, I'll act like a tourist. I've read about EEA family permit, Standard visitor visa etc. and don't know what fits for me. My husband can fly and come back with me, if it's needed. 

How can I fly to London and come back to Germany, with which permit??

@kaffeemitmilch what would you say?

What does the Fiktionsbescheinigung say? Does it mention anything about you being an EU family member? If so, you can try and board a flight with your husband, but you could easily be refused. You'll have the most success if you go by road/train. So, you can take a train to Paris, and then when you go through immigration for the Eurostar to London, you can show your residence permit, your marriage certificate, and your and your husband's passport. They will likely let you in that way. They might give you trouble, but ask for a supervisor. Of course, there is a slight chance that nothing will work. Just keep pushing, and print this out and show them: http://ec.europa.eu/justice/policies/citizenship/docs/guide_free_movement_low.pdf. The last paragraph on page 11 states clearly that you cannot be denied entry just because you have no visa, because you can prove your family ties to an EU citizen, who should be with you.

I appreciate your attention very much!

In the paper that they gave me, in german, it says I'm EU family member/free movement, and this is valid for 3 months until September. They gave me this because my previous visa expired. I have another paper that says my pickup information, which I need to wait 2-4 more weeks for my card to be ready.

I just asked how I can go to London for few days to the foreigner's office at KVR. Lady on the phone told me I should carry these papers with me, marriage certificate, passport and my husband should be with me on this trip. She said I should be fine because EU law says I have the right to travel with my husband. She did point out there are 2 different cards: 1. Cards with EU permission(this is my case) under Free Movement law, 2. Classic German residence card. She pointed out that after I receive my card, I should be able to travel within EU without my husband as well...

I'm scared of reading horror stories of non-eu members being refused at the border, but the lady on the phone sounded sure of herself and said this is the EU law and people at the border knows about this law...

I guess I'll take my documents and husband and will book this short travel....

She's right, but she hasn't accounted for airlines causing trouble. This is why I said it is riskier to fly than it is to go straight to the UK border agent in Paris or Calais. And remember, you are free to go around Schengen alone even now with your 3-month Fiktionsbescheinigung. You can likely even go to future Schengen states like Romania and Bulgaria. It's only the Brits, and maybe the Irish, who make things difficult for people like you.

Do you mean that it should go fine at the passport control at London airport but during boarding, at the gate for example, they might cause trouble? 

Now I just talked to UK Visa enquiry phone number which is 1.37 pound per minute.

They told me because my passport is Turkish, I need a visa, regardless!

I'm so so confused at this point :(

Of course they'll tell you that. And, technically you need an EEA family permit. It's free, but takes at least a couple of weeks if not longer, and is often arbitrarily refused.

53 minutes ago, ezgisa said:

Do you mean that it should go fine at the passport control at London airport but during boarding, at the gate for example, they might cause trouble? 

Well, if you get as far as passport control in London if you're flying, you'll be in good shape. It's the airline check-in in Munich or wherever you fly from (to go to London) that might give you trouble.

First time I flew to Australia I didn't know that British citizens needed a tourist visa the woman at the check-in desk made a quick call and got me an electronic visa within a few minutes and it only cost me about 20 Deutschmarks, I don't know if it would be as easy that with the UK.

Just to offer my experience. I am a british citizen and my wife is a turkish passport holder but with unlimited German residency (since birth). We have applied for the EEA Family Visa (Free) twice now with no problems. We have used it a few times for short trips to London. It takes about 2 weeks to arrive and is a longggg form. Originally we were applying for the tourist visa which was ridiculously expensive (250euro for 6 months). She got a 10 year Visa for the USA for 100e...

Regular visitor visas for the UK are insane when you look at the longer-term ones. The US, as you say, charges the same amount regardless of the length of visa granted as the processing required costs the same. How the Brits justify €1000 for a 10-year visa boggles the mind.

Hallo Toytowners,

I am hoping that some of you in TT have experience in this matter and can share with us your experience especially since Brexit vote.

I am non EU passport holder and married to a German husband, our son is also a German passport holder. We are planning to travel to London by car to attend a wedding in July. From what i have read i need to apply for EEA family permit that will allow me to travel to the UK together with my family, however it seems to be such a complicated process including applying in person at one of the centers. We live so far away from any of there application center (Berlin, Cologne, Dusserldorf) while we are in Hamburg. My questions are:

- has anyone been in the similar situation and travel without eea family permit to the border, present your documents( passport, german resident card, marriage certificate, birth certificate of my son) and were allowed in the UK?

-if you have been applying for the eea card, please confirm you had to attend the visa appointment in person, or otherwise if you had done it throughoutly online please kindly let me know how..I am in despare to which way to go and travelling to Berlin to attend the appointment will be tortourous with a baby one and a half years old so would avoid with all cost.

Thank you in advance for all your helps.

Hello! So Im turkish married to a Swedish person living in Munich. I applied for that EEA permit in the fall and had to apply in person at their visa center. Its a looong online form but its free and after applying it took couple of weeks only to receive it. 

Good luck!!

No experience here, but I know a couple of people who have driven to the UK border and been given leave to enter as EU family member, which the treaty essentially requires with or without a visa. You might get difficult border agents, but know your rights and insist, even asking for a supervisor and escalating upwards if necessary.

Some reading: https://eumovement.wordpress.com/2010/08/04/no-visa-but-still-want-to-travel/

Does anyone knows if EU family permit will still be issued post Brexit. I'm travelling to the UK with my spouse in December for christmas.

5 hours ago, justwise said:

Does anyone knows if EU family permit will still be issued post Brexit. I'm travelling to the UK with my spouse in December for christmas.

Information is scarce.  Mainly because it is still not clear what the impact of any deal/no-deal will actually mean on the ground.

But I found this resource which talks about EU partner rights for LIVING in the UK post Brexit:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/no-deal-immigration-arrangements-for-eu-citizens-moving-to-the-uk-after-brexit/no-deal-immigration-arrangements-for-eu-citizens-arriving-after-brexit

This says that nothing will initially change, and it is still possible to move to live and work in the UK as a spouse of an EU citizen until 2021 (with said citizen).

Therefore, I would expect that for a simple visit then the same rules will apply in that until 2021 nothing will change.

But, if I was you then when the deal/no-deal situation becomes clear that you should do more research and contact the British embassy and ask for clarification.  So that if you do need a visa you can still apply.

FYI:  It seems that the UK will also no longer accept EU identify cards for travel in the future, so a passport will be mandatory.  Although there is no date set yet as to when this will be applied.

On 9/16/2019, 1:56:11, justwise said:

Well you are definitely OK now!

I will be travelling with my non EU wife to the UK. She has EU family permit visa. We will be travelling this christmas and I will only stay in the UK for few days, but she will stay for another 2 weeks. Will it be a problem if I return to Germany before her or must we return at he same time.