Do I need a visa as non-EU citizen w/German residence permit to travel to the UK

104 posts in this topic

Dear all,

 

Please, I am a bit confused or may be I am missing something possibly.

 

Does it mean if one has the Niederlassungserlaubnis, you don't need a visa to the UK or?

 

Many thanks and looking forward to your responses?

 

Best,

P

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Anikha said:

Dear all, 

I would like to know the answer for the above question. 

 

It's only permanent residency, not citizenship.  You have to follow the regulations of the passport you intend to use to cross borders.  For clarity, if you're married to an EU citizen or UK, then this answer may change. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with slycookies, you have to base everything on your country of origin or the country whose passport you have.

 

In case you have visa requirement for the country whose passport you have, then you have to duly follow the visa application procedures, Find the link here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-uk-visa

 

Residence permit whether permanent or not only give you free access (i,e no visa requirement for some at least 3 months) to schengen countries.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2016, 11:10:40, papak said:

Residence permit whether permanent or not only give you free access (i,e no visa requirement for some at least 3 months) to schengen countries.

To combine this with slycookies' post, the residence permit matters when it states it's for a family member of a citizen of the EEA, so it is not solely dependent on your passport.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi. I have question regarding trip to UK in a few months. We have all paid and arranged, 7 day trip to London. I have EU Pass so for me is not a Problem, but my wife has non EU pass and a German Permanent Residency - Niederlassung. So my question is, would she be able to go with Eurostar with me as an EU national and she having only German niederlassungserlaubnis. Thank you.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rogger said:

Hi. I have question regarding trip to UK in a few months. We have all paid and arranged, 7 day trip to London. I have EU Pass so for me is not a Problem, but my wife has non EU pass and a German Permanent Residency - Niederlassung. So my question is, would she be able to go with Eurostar with me as an EU national and she having only German niederlassungserlaubnis. Thank you.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/non-eu-family/index_en.htm

 

From this it looks like although she can travel freely witinin Schengen, she might need an EAA Family Permit visa to visit UK (depending on where she is from).

 

You can try checking if she needs a visa from this site:

 

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NE does not qualify to visit UK, but being a EU national family member does.

 

So, does her resident permit state somewhere that she is the wife of EU national? If not, I am afraid you have to contact UK embassy to get some kind of visa.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yourkeau said:

NE does not qualify to visit UK, but being a EU national family member does.

 

So, does her resident permit state somewhere that she is the wife of EU national? If not, I am afraid you have to contact UK embassy to get some kind of visa.

Same situation here...I'm non-EU married to an EU however the residence permit nowhere says that I'm the spouse of EU national. Although I have a visa applied separately (travelling with spouse to UK), it's quite pricey. Hence, do you by any chance know where to get such a document? Shall i appy to ausländerbehörde and explain?

 

Has anybody been successful in getting such a document? Would help immensely. Thanks..

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Rogger said:

Hi. I have question regarding trip to UK in a few months. We have all paid and arranged, 7 day trip to London. I have EU Pass so for me is not a Problem, but my wife has non EU pass and a German Permanent Residency - Niederlassung. So my question is, would she be able to go with Eurostar with me as an EU national and she having only German niederlassungserlaubnis. Thank you.

 

I went through on the Eurostar a few months ago, and i am not EU.  They checked my passport and my German Aufenthaltstitel, and all was fine.   

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, emale said:

Same situation here...I'm non-EU married to an EU however the residence permit nowhere says that I'm the spouse of EU national. Although I have a visa applied separately (travelling with spouse to UK), it's quite pricey. Hence, do you by any chance know where to get such a document? Shall i appy to ausländerbehörde and explain?

 

Has anybody been successful in getting such a document? Would help immensely. Thanks..

 

I am not well-versed on the codes they use, but my card, under "Art" has a code that indicates or implies that i am married to a Swiss national and therefore am covered under his rules - rather than Aufenthaltsherlaubnis, it says Aufenthaltsherlaubnis - CH.    There are also some codes under Anmerkungen.  Perhaps yours has something?

 

In any case, i am not sure it matters - all they wanted to know when i went through the visa check for the train was that i had a residence permit for being in Germany.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Joanie said:

 

I am not well-versed on the codes they use, but my card, under "Art" has a code that indicates or implies that i am married to a Swiss national and therefore am covered under his rules - rather than Aufenthaltsherlaubnis, it says Aufenthaltsherlaubnis - CH.    There are also some codes under Anmerkungen.  Perhaps yours has something?

 

In any case, i am not sure it matters - all they wanted to know when i went through the visa check for the train was that i had a residence permit for being in Germany.

 

From the link in my previous post, the residence permit that is accepted for travel to the UK it seems the info about being married to a EU member is not hidden in some code:

 

"An Article 10 residence card should feature the wording “Residence Card of a Family Member of a Union Citizen”.

Another document, “Permanent Residence Card of a Family Member of a Union Citizen” issued under Article 20 of the Directive is also acceptable.

Documents issued on any other basis, for example (biometric) residence permits issued under the national law of another Member State are not acceptable and do not exempt the holder from the requirement to obtain an EEA family permit."

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joanie said:

 

I went through on the Eurostar a few months ago, and i am not EU.  They checked my passport and my German Aufenthaltstitel, and all was fine.   

 

Ok, and which one do You have? Normal Aufenthaltstitel or Niederlassungserlaubnis? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joanie said:

In any case, i am not sure it matters - all they wanted to know when i went through the visa check for the train was that i had a residence permit for being in Germany.

 

But where are you from?  Not all non-EU need a visa for short visits to the UK.  But if you are from one of these countries which do, a German domestic issued residence permit won't work, it has to be the Article 10/20 EEA family member one.  

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The UK officially says that they only accept a residence permit that states the holder is an EU family member, but they are required to, and do, allow close EU family members into the country as long as they are traveling with or joining the EU family member. They may make a fuss, but they must give you a Stamp 1A. The issue arises when airlines refuse boarding to family members because of official UKVI rules, but if you go by train or car, you will be face to face with a UKVI officer, and if they cause trouble, you can show them the freedom of movement rules. You should also have your marriage certificate if the spouse is traveling.

 

Now, there is a slight chance that your arguments will fall on deaf ears, but this is rare. Here's a good site that explains your rights: https://eumovement.wordpress.com/2010/08/04/no-visa-but-still-want-to-travel/, including a link to the freedom of movement directive.

 

In the end, the easiest would be to get an EEA family permit, but they are often really slow to process this, and often even reject it. UKVI are a terrible bunch.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6.7.2017, 05:57:55, Joanie said:

 

I went through on the Eurostar a few months ago, and i am not EU.  They checked my passport and my German Aufenthaltstitel, and all was fine.   

Please as an non Eu married to an EU citizen, can i travel alone to Ireland with my EU wife?

I want us to relocate to Ireland

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎06‎.‎07‎.‎2017‎ ‎06‎:‎04‎:‎23, Joanie said:

 

I am not well-versed on the codes they use, but my card, under "Art" has a code that indicates or implies that i am married to a Swiss national and therefore am covered under his rules - rather than Aufenthaltsherlaubnis, it says Aufenthaltsherlaubnis - CH.    There are also some codes under Anmerkungen.  Perhaps yours has something?

 

In any case, i am not sure it matters - all they wanted to know when i went through the visa check for the train was that i had a residence permit for being in Germany.

 

IIRC you are also from a country that doesn't require a visa to visit the UK, therefore, as long as you have a residence permit for Germany, it doesn't matter that you are married to a Swiss citizen.

 

1 hour ago, Oluwaseun said:

Please as an non Eu married to an EU citizen, can i travel alone to Ireland with my EU wife?

I want us to relocate to Ireland

 

If you travel with your EU citizen wife, you technically don't need a visa. However, since Nigerian citizens normally need visas, the airline might not let you board without one.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, engelchen said:

If you travel with your EU citizen wife, you technically don't need a visa. However, since Nigerian citizens normally need visas, the airline might not let you board without one.

Thanks, But can i travel alone without my EU partner with me.

As EU family member

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now