Changing electricity provider

33 posts in this topic

Write that you want as soon as possible and that they should take care of the termination for you.  That way, they will find out from your current provider which date is the first possible date and have your new contract start then.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i had my contract with my last gas provider based on minimum 15000 KW consumption and they were charging me monthly based on that assumption. 

Now that my 12 month contract has ended and i switched to a new provider, i noticed that i used 16000 KW of gas (1000 extra consumption). So they would charge me also for the additional 1000 KW, but are they going to do it based on the agreed tarif in the contract or based on their current tarif today?  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recently moved in an apartment. Landlord texted me a few days ago reminding me that I should register with an energy provider. From doing a few forum searches, I see that this is unlikely to be a simple, straight forward decision or process. 

 

I had assumed that since I'm paying warm rent to my landlord, the utilities would be in his name and he would sort them out and then we fix up the difference at the end of the year. It appears this isn't the case...

 

Without wading through lots of info, can anyone point me toward a nice summary of how it normally works? 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe warm rent includes only water (cold and warm) and heat. 

 

For electricity it is in your benefit to choose a provider that fits your need. I used check24. Upon entering the zip code and estimated usage, the site will have a list of providers in your area. 

 

Notice that sometimes there are sign-up bonus, some include discount on the cost of electricity. If my memory is correct those discounts usually only apply to the first year, so if you want to keep those "benefits" you need to cancel with the provider about 3 months before the contract ends, otherwise it will be automatically renewed.

 

Usually signing up with a provider must be done before the contract starts. But I remembered when I moved into a new apartment it is possible to sign up afterwards to start a contract at the move in date. Do not remember exactly the maximum delay  possible, in at least in my case a month after I moved in.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been with the same provider since 2011, when I moved into this flat.  Initially I was paying 50€ per month.  Understandably it has increased due to numerous valid reasons such as I work at home now and various electrical items are used in conjunction with work.  But my bill has increased each year, although I receive money back from the provider.

 

So, I compared on Check24 and found this:

 

check24.png

 

 

Am I understanding this correctly, that the cost is 537,98€ per year, with a 145€ and a 120€ bonus, making it 272,98€ per year?  What is the catch other than ensuring I change providers at the end of the contract?  Something seems amiss.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, BayrischDude said:

I have been with the same provider since 2011, when I moved into this flat.  Initially I was paying 50€ per month.  Understandably it has increased due to numerous valid reasons such as I work at home now and various electrical items are used in conjunction with work.  But my bill has increased each year, although I receive money back from the provider.

Thank this to Energiewende. The Greens celebrate that Schweinfurt AKW went down. Who will pay for "power autobahns" from Thuringia (where there is wind) to Bavaria (where there is no wind)? We, the consumers.

 

21 minutes ago, BayrischDude said:

Am I understanding this correctly, that the cost is 537,98€ per year, with a 145€ and a 120€ bonus, making it 272,98€ per year?  What is the catch other than ensuring I change providers at the end of the contract?  Something seems amiss.

That is all crap. Where do these cheap providers get the electricity? Out of thin air? Of course, not, they get it from the same power stations that your local Stadtwerke gets. If you are not a factory I see no sense in changing these providers who either go broke in a couple of years or will charge you way more in future. 

 

Call me a conservative idiot, but I would rather check with your Stadtwerke if they do not have cheaper tariffs. I was paying a Grundversorgung price in the first year because I didn't know what does it mean in German...

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BayrischDude said:

 

So, I compared on Check24 and found this:

 

check24.png

 

 

Am I understanding this correctly, that the cost is 537,98€ per year, with a 145€ and a 120€ bonus, making it 272,98€ per year?  

 

No, the cost is 537,98€. Your bonuses are already counted in.

 

1 hour ago, BayrischDude said:

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, someonesdaughter said:

 

No, the cost is 537,98€. Your bonuses are already counted in.

 

 

 

Ok, still much less than I am paying now!

 

2 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Thank this to Energiewende. The Greens celebrate that Schweinfurt AKW went down. Who will pay for "power autobahns" from Thuringia (where there is wind) to Bavaria (where there is no wind)? We, the consumers.

 

That is all crap. Where do these cheap providers get the electricity? Out of thin air? Of course, not, they get it from the same power stations that your local Stadtwerke gets. If you are not a factory I see no sense in changing these providers who either go broke in a couple of years or will charge you way more in future. 

 

Call me a conservative idiot, but I would rather check with your Stadtwerke if they do not have cheaper tariffs. I was paying a Grundversorgung price in the first year because I didn't know what does it mean in German...

 

Quite true.  The difference could be overhead, one might consider.  AÜW, the main supplier here in the Allgäu is a large company and most likely has more routine costs, vehicles, personnel, offices, etc.  Grünwelt most like has less.  For example, I would have to provide them the meter reading, whereas AÜW shows up and does it and that costs. 

 

If they did go broke in mid-contract, what would happen then?  I suppose reverted back to AÜW.

 

I too am a conservative idiot Yourkeau, but saving money is saving money.  86€ per month versus 44€!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BayrischDude said:

If they did go broke in mid-contract, what would happen then?  I suppose reverted back to AÜW.

Yep, and AÜW will charge you Grundversorgung price, which must be the highest price in their price table.

 

Well, you can try and tell your experience. I did check24.de, too, once, but it showed Stadtwerke as the cheapest provider in my area.

 

P.S. There was some electricity provider, who went broke and could not pay for electricity for their own office, and they started stealing electricity. More hilarious it can't be...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, yourkeau said:

P.S. There was some electricity provider, who went broke and could not pay for electricity for their own office, and they started stealing electricity. More hilarious it can't be...

 

 

oh the irony... :lol:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reactivating the thread.

Normally the contracts are of 12 months duration.

What if I change the rental apartment during the contract.

Do I need to take the provider with me in the new apartment?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, anipri said:

Reactivating the thread.

Normally the contracts are of 12 months duration.

What if I change the rental apartment during the contract.

Do I need to take the provider with me in the new apartment?

 

It depends on your provider. According to https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.focus.de/digital/experten/bernd_storm/stromvertrag-wechseln-wie-sie-beim-umzug-den-stromanbieter-am-besten-kuendigen_id_8869440.html you don't automatically have the right to cancel just because you move.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now