Changing electricity provider

33 posts in this topic

Hi All,

At the moment we have a contract with StadtWerke Bielefeld for Gas/Electricity so we get 85+70 Euro per month for Gas/Elec. But i have two questions:

1- I read the Gas usage (588 m3 over 161 days ) and asked them about my actual usage, and they told me i have used 125 Euro more than the above rate! I tried to calculate it by myself and i got different results. So anyone knows how to calculate the Gas price based on m3 usage?

2- Recently a guy came to the house (seller) trying to persuade us in signing a contract with them (Energie Beratung NRW) to get a lower monthly price (125 Euro in total). The difference seems tempting, however i wonder if switching the prover has any cost in general or if there are hidden costs with other private providers. I found a website for comparisons and noticed there are many appealing offers from different providers. So if they are real and honest, why should anyone still use a high price supplier?

thanx

The other providers offer you good deals for the period of your new contract, possibly even a bonus for changing providers but if you stay with them after the contract is up, the prices quickly go up so if you do this, you need to always be on the move, make sure you cancel contracts before they expire and find a new good deal. There are people who do this for you. I ran into one of them at Praktiker a few years ago and he now cancels my contracts for me before they expire and finds me new deals.

but if you stay with them after the contract is up, the prices quickly go up

Good to notify that, cause i wasn't aware of such terms. By the way, is there any cancellation/switching fees that you have to pay to the previous provider? (like when you switch to another phone operator and want to keep your number)

From my experience i have never encountered having to pay costs for changing.i have changed providers every year for the last 4 years.Basically to save money but also because there are a lot of electric providers out there that offer new customer bonuses.With my provider that i changed to in 2014 i received a bank transfer of €424 and did not have to pay my monthly rate for January.A saving of €534 in a year.€350 of this was my new customer bonus.Due to personal reasons i did not change in 2015 because i completely forgot LOL

There is no fee for changing. When you cancel the old contract, they even send you a polite letter thanking you for your business and hoping you come back in the future.

Hey amir21

just 4 days ago greenlinda, a newbie to TT, posted a link to an English language page on her "EnergyGirl" blog which appears on a (commercial) energy provider comparison site.

Like almost all internet comparison sites it appears to be monetized by referral commissions. I generally filter the neutrality value of advice offered on such sites through a healthy dose of skepticism but, although I decided not to register and try their actual comparison services, I thought the article was well presented and it did point out not only the advantages but also the most common risks and pitfalls likely to be encountered.

You can find greenlinda's post and the link to her blog here: Compare electricity prices in Germany

2B

Thank you for the information, however i still couldn't figure this out:

1- I read the Gas usage (588 m3 over 161 days ) and asked them about my actual usage, and they told me i have used 125 Euro more than the above rate! I tried to calculate it by myself and i got different results. So anyone knows how to calculate the Gas price based on m3 usage?

Gas usage is expressed in kWh, not in m 3 as the energy content of the gas differs. So you'd have to figure in a factor correcting for that which your provider should be able to tell you. IIRC one m 3 equals roughly between 10 and 12 kWh of energy.

I searched a few of these providers which offer various discounts and bonus for the first year, however i found something confusing.

1- While the contract is for 12 months, some of them have different start days (Gültig seit) for example 21.01.2015! Also i think it will take around 1 month until they switch to new provider, so does it mean if i sign the contract now (23.02.2015) and getting switched at the end of march, i will be charged from both providers for the first couple of months (starting from 21.01 )?

2- also i found there are 11 monthly installments (Voraus. Abschlagszahlung) based on the actual price (without any bonus or discount), so does it mean they will charge me monthly from 21.01 based on the actual price?

3- The monthly price i got from the online website was based on my own estimation from the annual usage. Does it mean they will make the contract (and monthly payments) based on my my own estimate?

You never pay for two providers at the same time. Once you have made a new contract with the new and cancelled the old, they will figure out the date they can change you over and you will be asked to read your meter on that date and inform probably both of them.

In my experience, you pay for your estimate the first 11 months and the last month, you get your switchover bonus. In my case, I usually don't pay anything for the last month, sometimes get money back.

They will either base it on your estimate or on your last meter reading. I am not sure which. In any case, you don't benefit from a low estimate as eventually you will have to read the meter and they will see what you used.

So what is the deal with "Gültig seit" which varies from one offer to another, for ex. it might be this month (22.02.2015) or even two months ago (20.12.2014) ! i don't get it!

It means the price has been valid from that date. It's valid until further notice (i.e. until changed again).

thanks guys for all the info, one last thing!

There should to be a 25% discount bonus on the total usage. So it would be calculated now and based on my current estimated usage? or it will be calculated eventually based on the reading at the end of contract (in case i consumed less/more than the estimate?

It will usually be calculated after the first year, when you get your first yearly invoice (based on your actual consumption), which will already reflect it.

I noticed some of them have price guarantee policies (for ex. 12 months ) meaning the provider cannot change the prices during the contract period. However, i found out that their prices vary over different usage estimates ( KWh rate and also the base price). Some of them have a price table in their website according to annual usage.

So what if enter the contract base on a specific usage estimate and at the end of the year my actual usage lies in a different price category (higher or lower), in that case will they change the price while doing the final calculation at the end of contract?

If you go to check24.de, they have a comparison which takes into account startup fees, kWh price, monthly base price and yearly bonus, giving you a final figure for comparison. Ignore the first result in the search (so-called "Top deal" or "recommended"), those are paid adverts.

Be careful when picking a provider and avoid those which appear not to have a brick-and-mortar setup. I contracted with Flexstrom a few years back and ended up losing 400+ euros as they went out of business; I've been with ESWE Wiesbaden ever since and am pretty happy.

I noticed some of them have price guarantee policies (for ex. 12 months ) meaning the provider cannot change the prices during the contract period. However, i found out that their prices vary over different usage estimates ( KWh rate and also the base price). Some of them have a price table in their website according to annual usage.

So what if enter the contract base on a specific usage estimate and at the end of the year my actual usage lies in a different price category (higher or lower), in that case will they change the price while doing the final calculation at the end of contract?

normaly, the "price guarantee"does not include the taxes and levies. means, if there will be an increase in EEG-Umlage your new supplier can change the price.

"different price category (higher or lower" it depends on the provider. ask the provider or tell me the name of the provider, I can tell you.

if you give me (or publish) your postcode and your estimated usage I can recommend a tariff (based on Stiftung Warentest settings). I work for a comparison provider and this is my daily business.

We also translated the comparison calculator and the technical terms, but links are not very welcome in a forum. send me a PM for that link.

cheers linda

It will usually be calculated after the first year, when you get your first yearly invoice (based on your actual consumption), which will already reflect it.

As i found the following in the gas.de documents:

"Neukundenbonus: Beim Mindestverbrauchstarif “fix“ erhalten Sie stets mindestens einen Bonus, welcher prozentual anhand der vereinbarten jährlichen Mindestverbrauchsmenge als Bemessungsgrundlage ermittelt wird, auch wenn Ihr tatsächlicher Jahresverbrauch die vereinbarte Mindestverbrauchsmenge unterschreitet.

Bei Überschreitung der Mindestverbrauchsmenge bilden die Gesamtkosten des tatsächlichen Gasverbrauchs auch beim Mindestverbrauchstarif “fix“ die Bemessungsgrundlage für den Bonus. "

base on my understanding it implies, no matter how less or much i consume than the estimation, the 15% discount would be calculated based on the annual estimated usage.

please correct me if i'm wrong!

You are wrong. It´s not based on the estimate but rather on your actual consumption, at least at the agreed minimal consumption (which you´ll have to pay even if you use less).

i want ti switch to another provider after the end of my 12 month contract. so i need to send them a notice for termination (no automatic extension of the old contract) and also to setup the new contract with another one.

Actually i received a letter from the old provider about price increases, saying that i also do not need to give them a termination notice because of the change in the prices. But i'm not sure whether and how to send the notice?

Also in check24,de when i want to choose the new provider, there are two options for " Gewünschter Lieferbeginn ": 

1- As soon as possible,   2- A desired date

And also they asked if they have to take care of termination or not? (Yes/ No)

I do not know how to answer these question in order to start the new contract right after the termination of the old one (end of the 12th month), And without breaking the first contract conditions (like early termination, etc.)