Teenagers not in school

125 posts in this topic

Thank you for joining Toytown Germany, a forum that answers a plethora of questions any ex-pat might have. The Search function (top right of your monitor) is invaluable for finding such questions and answers. Do not hesitate to use it, make yourself familiar with the other features of the forum, such as the multi-quote function, enjoy your stay in Germany.

Unfortunately though, someone assuming that I am having a mid-life crisis can only be seen as a personal attack and I didn't appreciate that response.

The forum in general does not appreciate your kind of personal attack in replying to what you consider just that:

woah! Judgemental much englelchen? You don't know my situation so please don't assume too.

You came here asking for advice from people with experience of living in Germany. Just because you don't like what you hear doesn't mean that it's not helpful, if only to exclude various scenarios.

My best piece of advice: If you are hell-bent to relocate to Germany start learning the language/improving your knowledge of it now. Contracts are in German. Dealings with authorities are in German. Daily conversations are in German.

Sarabyrd - I have been doing plenty of research on here, and yet I still cannot manage to get my 'multiquote' to work? Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I have tried nonetheless.

Also, I fail to see how assuming I am having a mid-life crisis is remotely helpful. Assuming anything for that matter! Most people have been polite enough to ask a question if they were needing more clarification.

Take Hazza for example... yes, I do have permission to live and work in the EU as I will be traveling on an EU passport with dual-citizenship.

And "What will she be doing for 2 years"? She will be almost 17yrs when we leave for Europe. We may stay for 2years .. or more. In any case, she will be 19yrs when we/if we return. She will get a job here in Australia if we return and if she decides she wants to go to University.

As I have said before, it is not that big a deal here to leave school at 17yrs, or to not go to University. There are still plenty of opportunities. But that is not relevant to the question I have asked initially.

In Germany you have to go to school, technical school, or do an apprenticeship until you are 18.

Wrong. Mandatory schooling in Germany (German link) is not regulated by age but by the minimum number of years that you have to spend at school, generally nine or ten (it varies from state to state).

Sande, how to use the multi-quote function:

1) hit multi-quote (bottom right of each post)

post-4788-14240005490045.png

2) hit Add reply

3) the quoted post/s appear/s in your Post field

Wrong. Mandatory schooling in Germany (German link) is not regulated by age but by the minimum number of years that you have to spend at school, generally nine or ten (it varies from state to state).

2) hit Add reply

Thank Sarabyrd, as I said, I have tried, but it hasn't worked for me. :(

Apparently there are several FREE bilingual schools in Berlin. Maybe there are some in Munich too?

My quote refers to the Mindestschulpflicht - minimum mandatory schooling. Back when it was all fields around here, the farmers' kids went to school through ninth grade and then started working full-time on the farm. No apprenticeship, no vocational school.

EDIT: Sande, don't insist on Munich - it's very expensive regarding rent and costs of daily life. Try a smaller city.

2) hit Add reply

I am not so sure in other states, but here in NRW, they can't just stop their education when they finish Realschule/Hauptschule if they are under 18. I know this because I have worked at several Realschulen and we had to ensure that those leaving had an Ausbildung place or a place at further school type (Berufskolleg/Gymnasium/Gesamtsschule). For the ones that will turn 18 by the next school year, they could chose if they wanted our help if they couldn't find something on their own.

EDIT: Sande, don't insist on Munich - it's very expensive regarding rent and costs of daily life. Try a smaller city.

I am not so sure in other states, but here in NRW, they can't just stop their education when they finish Realschule/Hauptschule if they are under 18.

The minimum in Bavaria as outlined above is:

9 years fulltime schooling plus either

- successfully completing 10th grade at a Realschule or Gymnasium

- successfully completing "10th grade" at a vocational school

- successfully completing an apprenticeship

- getting kicked out of school

- sitting around in a school setting where you repeat classes till you either do one of the above or are over 21