Remove German dubbing from American TV shows

67 posts in this topic

I do have to say one thing against dubbing: Acting is an art. An actor's voice is as much their instrument as their body. You have NO IDEA of the quality of any actor's acting unless you hear them work in their original voice. Nothing drove this home so hard as when I said to my wife, "For some reason Sandra Bullock's voice just makes me laugh." To which she replied, "I have no idea how she sounds." Now my wife cannot imagine watching dubbed programming and has discovered why that is best.

Try doing an impression of a well known Hollywood actor to a German. Most don't get it as they've never actually heard the actor speak. Just some German guy speaking his lines. I've also heard that's it's strange when the 'dubber' for a well known actor dies before the actor dies. This means the next time the Germans hear the actor he's got a different voice. Odd!!

I've given up on moaning about dubbing. There's no point. Germans (and the French and the Brits, etc) are too dumb to understand why dubbing is a bad idea. I just stopped watching dubbed programming.

I do have to say one thing against dubbing: Acting is an art. An actor's voice is as much their instrument as their body.

Which doesn't necessarily mean that it's better with the original voice. I remember when I first heard the "real" voices of several Hollywood actors and instantly disliked them. Bruce Willis for example, his real voice sounds plain boring to me compared to his german dubbed voice. Sometimes a dubbed voice matches the screen character much better than the real one. Which is also because different countries have different perceptions of what a voice should sound like.

You have to have a channel that has the English soundtrack, but you generally have to pay for these channels, TNT Serie/Film, FOX, A&E, AXN, SyFy, etc. My husband is German so this is preferable than getting a package of English only stations because he doesn't want to always watch the stuff in English. If you really rather just have the option for English only across the board, Netflix would be the way to go rather than cable/satellite TV.

Illic, the mistake you made was calling the German voice "his". If you don't like Bruce Willis, you don't like him; however, you do not "like" Bruce Willis' acting, you like some German guy who sits in a booth and talks to a microphone.

Hi,

you like some German guy who sits in a booth and talks to a microphone.

and here is a picture of exactly that guy talking to a microphone in a booth: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manfred_Lehmann

Cheers

Franklan

I will never understand why broadcasting companies should pay extra for the original language stream. The producing companies should stop to demand extra money for a thing that should be already included in the product. A broadcaster like pro7, sat 1, rtl... will not spend that money if more than 90% of the customers want to watch only the german dubbed version. Those companies get nothing from the 17.98€ state fee.

Yes it would be nice if you would have the choice to switch easily languages in TV, but it will not happen for the reasons mentioned above. The best choice in the moment are streaming services and video rentals.

Also I do not understand people here who think, that every german in germany should watch undubbed stuff just cause they are blessed to speak the language of the worlds biggest entertainment business / or for the sake of art. Or even call germans dumb cause they like to have dubbed TV. Why should my grandparents or whoever, who never needed english in their whole life be threatend to glue their eyes to subtitles (while their eyes are not good), it would be very uncomfortable for them. Just think of how it feels for you to hear people talking in a language you do not understand, i mean a lot of expats should understand this. A lot speak their native language at home and do not like to watch tv and other stuff in the language of their new country, cause it is more comfortable and more relaxing for them.

And sorry tv is not art for me, it is there to entertain me.

Acting is more then speaking, bodily expression is in my view also a very important part of it (some idiotic actors forgot this while participating in a botox party).

A lot of people are accustomed to the voice of an actor and therefore will never give the dubbing in another language a a chance. I have watched stuff like Magnum in my teens in german, now I tried to watch it in english and it was uncomfortable for me, I did not like the voices cause i had all the time the german ones in my head. Nowadays I start to watch a lot of stuff in the original language before it is broadcasted in germany, after this I do not like to watch it in german, even if the dub is good from my point of view, cause i am used to the voice of the characters. But i can not watch stuff in the OV with subs,if i am exhausted from work and want to relax myself before the TV.

@bontasan

As was pointed out in other parts of this discussion, I don't think anybody would ever really consider transmitting only original language content (albeit subtitled) in any sovereign country, especially Germany. Progressive Scandinavian Countries excluded obviously.

I think what you probably missed from the discussions is that both the public and private German broadcasters have all the means to transmit, without impacting or influencing the German dub in any way or form, the original language content as an alternative. Meaning, only if you really really want to, can you switch to the original version soundtrack. But if you do nothing then standard German dub is what you will always get.

Nobody is forcing you, nor any one of your grandparents, to watch original language content subtitled, nor will they ever, nor was it ever taken into consideration. Nor does it ever need to be considered.

The original language content is only a second option that one can choose, should it ever be available.

The main point that is being discussed is that Germany seems to be the only amongst the other primary European countries, that although possessing all the means to offer it as an alternative, refuses to do so. Both with private and public broadcasts.

And, the fact that it would cost more does not seem to be the only reason, as many other European Broadcasting companies, from countries with far less means than Germany, some state funded, but also many private ones with advertising as primary income ( basically non-German equivalents to the examples of pro7, sat 1, rtl as you mentioned above) do offer the original language content as a "second" option to the primary language dub.

Curiously, seeing as Germany exports allot of its "televisual-art" , that also means that in those countries you do, should you ever really want to, have the option to see that content in, you guessed it, German.

I actually prefer the dubbed voices of The Big Bang theory in German than in Englsih. The pronounciation of "bazinga" by Sheldon is better in German and Leonards voice is less whiny in German.

Yes the "threatend" was a bit to much / exaggerated from my side, but the bashing of dubbing got a bit on my nerves. Also the you can only cherish an actor if you hear his voice stuff, as if acting is just speaking,

that would mean a pantomime would not act. An actor in an old silent film would not act ... And sorry i doubt honestly that the number of people who want to see it in OV with subs is big enough in germany that pro7, rtl... would care to buy the rights, especially for free tv with advertisement of german products. Also there are nowadays a lot of way better solutions to get content with the original language stream than TV. I mean it is way better, to have the possibility, to watch the stuff you want to watch, anytime you want and to be independent from the TV timetable.

German TV stations broadcast their programs free to air all over europe and north africa. Because they broadcast the dubbed german version they only pay licence fees for about 100 Mio people (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, parts of belgium, Luxemburg, and south Tirol). If they would broadcast the english version they would have to pay for about 600 -800 mio people. French, spanish, italian... stations prevent those fees by broadcasting encrypted.

UK TV stations broadcast over Astra 2E which is directed to the UK, so they only pay fees for the people in the UK and Ireland.

Scandinavian and dutch Tv station are not more advanced they are just to small to afford dubbing plus they are also encrypted.

I actually prefer the dubbed voices of The Big Bang theory in German than in Englsih. The pronounciation of "bazinga" by Sheldon is better in German and Leonards voice is less whiny in German.

Have you ever seen 'The Nanny' in Germany? You take out Fran Dreschers voice, and its actually watchable. Ergo, it lasted longer in syndication here than it did back in the US. :D

I cant even address the rest of this thread...

t. On some channels they already switch back to the German track, before the program has finished. Meaning you watch 98% of the the program in English and then the last minute or so it goes back to German automatically.

Yeah I noticed that on Big Bang Theory, what a pain in the ass, last 30 seconds it switches back. I now watch it via CBS.com

This thread is funny, because we all know that Americans like to remake "foreign" (read: non-American) movies and tv series just because most of them do not like to read subtitles. But once they are out of their country they are all for "original version", which at the end it is the same thing: "Give me my shows in my language".

Truth is English is one of the most spoken languages in the world, so that's nice for English speakers, but this is one of the few situations were that plays against you, they won't broadcast shows in English because the licenses will be much more expensive.

Funny you should mention this.

Was talking to a workmate about Laurel and Hardy etc and the conversation got around to English films in German and he is happy as he doesn't speak a word of English however his daughter who is an English teacher actually watches as many shows as possible in English because it appears more natural and makes more sense.

She thinks the BBT in German is totally unwatchable.

Not entirely unwatchable in German, just a hundred times better with the original voices.

I tend to always watch stuff I used to watch back home in English,yet anything new I will watch in German as I'm not already attuned to the English version.

The words not matching the lip movements used to bug me but you do tend to get used to it and not even notice it after a while.

However my biggest bugbear with dubbing is to me what seems the lack of people who do the dubbing.I used to watch American Chopper and the person who dubbed the dad in that I can swear dubbed every other voice of an over 50 man on every other TV programme.

A small thing with me is for example when a newspaper or something readable appears on screen they most times dub in the actor saying what is written on that paper or they'll subtitle it.The dubbed in voice always sounds so out of place.

They need to stop being cheapskates and CGI in the paper or whatever in German which I have seen done only a few times.

Yep. I've been watching dubbed German TV for 25 years now and you get used to 5 different people having the same voice. :D

I worked for premiere editing trailers and I actually found the dubbing quite useful, taking the audio from one bit and adding it to to other bits with a better shot.