Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Uzbekstan Airlines and Tashkent airport

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have two 60+ travellers planning a trip from india to germany. Cheapest option available is uzbekistan airlines with a overnight halt in tashkent airport. I have no experience of this airlines or the airport and reviwes online are very mixed and some of them too outdated. If anyone of you have used their services or this international airport recently please advice if it is a sensible option for elderly people.

Thanks

N

I don't know about the airline or the airport, but as you can understand, an overnight halt in any airport is an inconvenience, elderly or not. Sitting on those chairs for more than 3hrs will be a pain, and without sleep it is worse. If I were 18 and on a backpacking trip then I dont mind sleeping in the airport to cut cost, but when the middle-east routes are faster and reasonably priced, why not take those?

or do you mean, "is there a convenient and affordable hotel close to the airport for an overnight stay?" :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, being an Indian, it is very hard, if not impossible to get a transit visa in most of the countries. We do not get visa free travel or visa-on-arrival in most of the counties(incl. Uzbekistan).

If it was the only route, then yes. But why go through all the trouble of applying for a tourist visa, getting out of the airport in an unknown country, booking a hotel and paying for all this when there are more sensible options to get here faster?

Middle Asia is the most corrupt place on the whole continent. I don't want to say that airport area is unsafe (it probably isn't) but you don't go there without thorough research. I don't recommend such a stopover for those who don't speak either Russian or some Turkic language.

I don't recommend such a stopover "because it's cheap". This is like not buying health insurance to save money.

thank you all for suggestions and recommendations. i guess i will pass this option and rather book another faster and known route.

thanks again

The good thing about Uzbekistan Airlines is that they don't fly Tupolevs :).

I was in Turkmenistan and my passport was checked 7 times at the airport!! Each guy from customs was wearing a bigger typical Russian hat. Hilarious, but no unemployment.

Turkmenistan is not a typical country in this region. In fact, it's one of the most closed countries in the world, if not the most. Even Russians are not allowed there. In Uzbekistan they will also check documents often, but not that often, it has interesting architecture and is full of tourists.