Traveling solo through Europe - your thoughts

31 posts in this topic

Yeah, except when you only have Magnums (i.e.-condoms for umm bigger dudes...call me optimistic) and the guy's got a ummm smaller member :o

Again risking TMI...I am a liberated woman and I do always carry condoms if I think there may be any small chance that I could get me some.

BUT. US condoms were very uncomfortable for my partner at the time, and we tried several brands on various occasions. Condoms bought here = no issues whatsoever no matter which brand or style we used. I think the problem with condoms sold in the US is that they are serving a mostly circumcised community, which does not exactly fit the German market? I have to suppose that was at least a factor, but I admittedly don't know the fine points of condom fitting and design.

But like I said, maybe I'm just (un)lucky ;)

My point wasn't about being antiquated but purely about comfort for him :)

Hi, I am thinking of doing a solo trip to Europe, starting off in Munich as I know people there, but then travelling solo for a couple of weeks. Is it a safe thing to do? Are there others that do this too that I may be able to connect with on my journeys? Has anyone had any experience doing this sort of thing? I am open to all kinds of advice please. I am in my 40's, so not a youngster

Its a lot safer than the Outback! Watch out for the cyclists, though. Lethal.

Hello,

If this is in the wrong place, please move it.  Single older female traveling alone in Germany in October.  D-Dorf, Dortmund, Dresden and Berlin.  Already have train tickets and places to stay (Airbnb) but if anyone has any other safety or fun suggestions, I would like to hear them.  

Thank you.

5 hours ago, cacilia_1 said:

If this is in the wrong place, please move it.  ..

It can stay ;)

I don't know how long you're traveling for and why you chose the places you have (and why only Germany), but you've left out the whole southern part of the country:  Freiburg, Heidelberg, Stuttgart, Munich. You're even overlooking Hamburg. 

As far as safety is concerned, I never felt uncomfortable as a woman travelling alone, but 10 years ago i'd have no qualms about being drunk and taking the last night bus or train back home, I won't do that anymore. Is it because I am now "older" (and a mom) or because the country has become a bit more dangerous, I don't know. I think maybe after what happened to those poor girls in Köln 2 years ago is was a wake-up call of sorts. 

Well, I'm in my 40ies and have recently been in Dresden without male protection(TM) and there's really no issue (caveat: unless you are not white(*), though women have a lot less problems than men in that regard). I speak German though.

(*) Dresden has a sorry history as the founding city of Pegida. Though you are unlikely to encounter them as a tourist. And there's obviously a seizable number of people in Dresden who despair about Pegida, but that's beyond the scope of this thread.

On a related note: I highly recommend the Hygienemuseum in Dresden:  http://www.dhmd.de/en/

(Avoid the Cafe though. Overpriced and not very good.)

Just wondering about your choice of cities. Are you visiting people? I am in Dortmund but it isn't a big tourist place. Unless you are into soccer or football, which ever you prefer to call it, Not a real lot in Dortmund.

13 minutes ago, programdirector said:

Just wondering about your choice of cities. Are you visiting people? 

Just be careful what you ask... You may just Get the R100 Police foce after you!

9 hours ago, programdirector said:

Just wondering about your choice of cities. Are you visiting people? I am in Dortmund but it isn't a big tourist place. Unless you are into soccer or football, which ever you prefer to call it, Not a real lot in Dortmund.

You got it!  Nur der BVB!

And to all who replied, thank you.  I speak German and am picking cities that I either have friends in or like Dresden, a place I have never been.

5 hours ago, cacilia_1 said:

You got it!  Nur der BVB!

And to all who replied, thank you.  I speak German and am picking cities that I either have friends in or like Dresden, a place I have never been.

Well then a trip to the new Deutsches Fussballmuseum might be something that interests you. :) Oh and there is a cute bar, Gänsemarkt ,that I really want to go to but haven't had a chance yet. Very traditional beer place.