Garage or parking space rental?

10 posts in this topic

Hallo everyone,

I am trying to arrange an apartment in Sachsen or Bornheim area. I haven't found anything yet. But depending on where I end up, I might not have a permanent parking spot. I'll be purchasing an SUV. I know that I will use public transport for most of the time. However I want a car for the few times a month it will be convenient...and I don't want the hassle of finding a parking spot on the street, worrying about street cleaners, etc. My question is: are there any parking garages where I can rent a spot? I don't care if the car is anywhere near me, it can be located on the edges of town honestly as long as I can walk to the garage from a bus or train stop. If you know of any of these places, please list the general location and price. Also, is it true car theft is pretty bad? Thanks everyone!

If you only want a car a few times a month, why buy one? You would likely end up better renting one and not having to worry about insurance, parking etc.

There are also various carsharing schemes - rental without going to the rental company, but simply picking up the car off the street after the previous driver dropped it off, have you considered those?

I agree that carsharing may be for you, but hey, I use my car only every so often, and I still keep it, so there are limits to rationality in these matters. For one thing, street cleaning is not a problem - somehow, the city manages to sweep them without needing access to the kerb at all times. Still, finding a spot can be tough, even if you have a Bewohnerparkausweis. Look at immobilienscout24.de, ebay small ads and for notices in local shop windows and supermarkets to see what's available. Sometimes you see advertisements on the street, outside garages with vacancies. In any case, expect to pay over 75 Euros per month, though perhaps you can get good deals in places like Nieder-Eschbach (if you really want to take the train to and from your car). - I don't think theft is a massive problem, but it is reassuring to know your car is safe if it's not parked outside your house. Also, it's liable to get covered in leaves and bird poo...

If you only want a car a few times a month, why buy one? You would likely end up better renting one and not having to worry about insurance, parking etc.

There are also various carsharing schemes - rental without going to the rental company, but simply picking up the car off the street after the previous driver dropped it off, have you considered those?

I haven't considered a car sharing service. I have some experience with the idea since my good friends used them. I thought it was a very annoying concept to pay 25$ an hour (plus a monthly membership fee of $50 even if you don't use it) for grocery shopping once a week which is what they used it for. I will be using a car most weekends for rock climbing trips. I really want to get to Frankenjura area. From what I read online, this isn't one location, but spread out over many miles, some remote locations, etc. I guess it would be a good idea to calculate the costs of both ideas and do some comparisons. But instinctually, I don't love the idea of worrying about the cost as each minute is ticking by that I have the car.

I agree that carsharing may be for you, but hey, I use my car only every so often, and I still keep it, so there are limits to rationality in these matters. For one thing, street cleaning is not a problem - somehow, the city manages to sweep them without needing access to the kerb at all times. Still, finding a spot can be tough, even if you have a Bewohnerparkausweis. Look at immobilienscout24.de, ebay small ads and for notices in local shop windows and supermarkets to see what's available. Sometimes you see advertisements on the street, outside garages with vacancies. In any case, expect to pay over 75 Euros per month, though perhaps you can get good deals in places like Nieder-Eschbach (if you really want to take the train to and from your car). - I don't think theft is a massive problem, but it is reassuring to know your car is safe if it's not parked outside your house. Also, it's liable to get covered in leaves and bird poo...

In the U.S there are large, multi-level garages that charge anywhere from $30 to $100 monthly for a parking spot, usually assigned to the individual. Spots on the top level, which are open to the sky, are cheapest because they are exposed to the snow and you still have to shovel. Some of these garages charge a day rate of $10-$20 a day if you are just passing through and need it for a one time use. There are these tickets you have to push a button for on the way in and pay on the way out with a bank card. Sorry for the painful amount of detail here but I wanted to see if you or anyone else has seen or heard of these as an option in Franfurt?

Your response seems like my options are more likely people who have an extra space in their personal, home garage. Is that really what people do if they have a car but no space to park it? I clicked on your link but I have only just begun German lessons. I'm so sorry to be a burden but, what is a "Bewohnerparkausweis"?

Thank you

OK, a "Bewohnerparkausweis" is a residents' parking permit, which allows you to park in the zones designated by your permit (in your neigbourhood). Look out for the white-on-blue parking signs with a little panel underneath saying "Anwohner":

http://www.vkt-gmbh...rparken_mgn.jpg

You'd have to look into daily parking rates at large garages, I'd expect them to be pretty high. The kind of rental I had in mind may be in someone's personal garage, but it's more likely to be a larger garage or set of garages adjacent to an office or residential building with some extra capacity. Either arrangement is quite common.

Hi All,

I am looking for a parking space to rent (I don't want to have to deal with the stress of finding on street parking each time I use the car) - ideal location would be near Berger Strasse/Friedberger Anlage. 

I would need the space for between 1 - 2 years. I've tried a few websites but no luck yet ( https://www.immonet.de/ https://www.parkhausfrankfurt.de/en/service/long-term-parking.html etc.) :( 

Any help would be really appreciated!!