Regensburg promo ad sparks outrage

47 posts in this topic

Regensburg issued a set of postcards and a video promoting it as a tourist destination. However, discussion started that these postcards can also be interpreted as racist and sexist. For example, a chorus with women and a black man is "worse, than original", a chorus of white men.

Some CSU Landrat members described these ads as "geschmacklos". The mayor said that this is all bullshit and that he ordered to remove ads only because it sparked this bullshit discussion, but not that he feels that this discussion makes sense.

What do you think? Do you agree with the mayor?

Do you find these postcards funny? Would you visit Regensburg in future (very nice city, btw)?

post-138204-14221384928091.jpg

More postcards here: http://www.br.de/nachrichten/oberpfalz/inhalt/werbemotive-stadt-regensburg-tourismus-100.html

News article: http://www.br.de/nachrichten/oberpfalz/inhalt/domspatzen-postkarte-100.html

Persons depicted on those postcards are employees of Regensburg Tourismus and basically those who came up with this idea.

Yes you can focus on the white men vs a mixed choir, or you can notice the new choir is horribly disorganized and without any discipline at all. Not to mention of severly reduced capacity. The stuff that german nightmares are made of, eh?

I confess I don't understand the one about the Dom.

And the sausage card is almost scary.

At the very worst I think they come accross as silly and a bit naive. The point seems to be that Regensburg offers a bit more than the ordinary.

I tend to agree with the mayor - it seems like bullshit to project so much negativity onto these ads.

I confess I don't understand the one about the Dom.

Regensburger Domspatzen, a famous all-boy choir currently in the news as its leader has been refusing to cooperate with the head of a supporting organization because she is also head of Donum Vitae, an organization that helps women in quest of an abortion. This has lead to the supporting organization dissolving itself and the Domspatzen receiving less money for trips, instruments and other necessary support.

Way to go, Regensburg.

She's referring to the one with the beer crates in front of the Dom, i think.

Ah, I heard hooves and thought zebras.

But the other news is important enough to leave it up.

its leader has been refusing to cooperate with the head of a supporting organization because she is also head of Donum Vitae

The manager of the Domspatzen is a member of the Förderverein. The one refusing cooperation was the bishop of Regensburg after Eichhorn wanted the Domspatzen to sing at a donation drive for Donum Vitae in 2008, right after she became head of the organization - she had previously been deputy leader of Donum Vitae since its founding in 1999, which apparently wasn't a problem until then at all.

Completely off topic off course but does anyone else find the use of the word "touristic" in the title a bit odd?

I was going to add Is it racist? Is it sexist? Is it bad English? to the title but doubted if my Irish humour would be appreciated :D

Right, I got the antagonists confused. At any rate, the bishop's orthodox Catholic behavior has caused the choir a major financial loss. I am sure that his mother is very proud of him.

*It makes me very, very mad that the city of my alma mater is associated with this kind of news.*

Germans attempting humour, fraught with risk

You could be right. On my 50th I received a birthday card from my local church. Some God-speak words in the middle and a separate slip of paper asking: "Why did you stop paying church tax?" :rolleyes:

The birthday card front cover:

post-118206-14222071039741_thumb.jpg

WTF? :blink:

To this day I have no idea what message it was supposed to convey, other than I found it oddly disturbing.

Looks like the priest is regretting having groped those in the first row.

Nope, wait - they're girls.

Haha, that's not a priest, that's the chorus conductor (see how the clothing matches on the smaller picture).

Completely off topic off course but does anyone else find the use of the word "touristic" in the title a bit odd?

I was going to add Is it racist? Is it sexist? Is it bad English? to the title but doubted if my Irish humour would be appreciated

It is yourkeaunglish :). In German it was just "Werbe Aktion".

"Why did you stop paying church tax?"

To this day I have no idea what message it was supposed to convey.

Expecially because the church tax was probably the only thing they cared about.

Isn't that Herr Lipps choir? Did they move from Duisburg??

I have no idea about Herr Lipps, but this is some traditional local chorus, not from Duisburg.

Maybe Regensburg should ask themselves why their entire boys choir is white, with no diversity at all? If the choir was a diverse one, then the ad wouldn't be racist. Simple fix.

Haha, that's not a priest, that's the chorus conductor (see how the clothing matches on the smaller picture).

It's the choir conductor, you can see his baton. A priest would be hiding his.