Private bilingual daycares

17 posts in this topic

While waiting to get a spot in a kindergarten (Kita-Gutschein has already been issued) I need to put my child in daycare until August. I found one place without contracts, and parents can pay by the day, week, or month. It is great for the short-term.

Are there any bilingual private daycares in central Berlin like this? It doesn't have to be English-German. It could also be French or Spanish. I find €40 per day very reasonable, but I would like to find something around €400 per month.

Hi,

I am so happy that I found your post. I am in the same shoes as you are and I am so desperate to find a place for my son until August even if I have to pay more. I tried to search on Google but couldn`t find it - so can I ask where is this private kita where you can take you child and you pay on a weekly bases?

It would be so much help!

Many thanks,

Olga

Interested in the same! 

We arrive in Berlin from abroad in end of July and need to enroll our 3 year old in a bilingual nursery asap. We will be staying either in Mitte or Prenzlauerberg. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Of course we will be workign on the Kita Gutschein but a temp solution for the month of August is what we are after.

Many thanks in advance,

Crumb

a temp solution for the month of August is what we are after.

Many Kitas actually close for a few weeks in August.

Some of them close too. You should also be aware that Kitas in Germany generally have an Ein­ge­wöh­nungs­phase during which time the parents are expected to stay with their kid until the kid is comfortable with the place. Depending on the Kita and the kid this can take a few days to a few weeks.

Why don't you also look for a Tagesmutter? Your local Jugendamt can supply you with a list.

All food for thought. Given our child has already done a year of nursery and quite a bit of travel with us, we hope that she will do well in a relatively quick period. But we of course are expecting to spend some time at the new nursery with her. A Tagesmutter is a foreign concept to us but I will look deeper into it. Do the kids get sufficient play time outdoors in such an arrangement? Or do they only stay in mostly? I really appreciate your kind responses by the way.

I don't know what your budget is, but a private babysitter might be better in your situation. Yes, try the Tagesmutter route first, but Kita "settling in" is, to be frank, a total pain in the ass and not worth it for a short period of time. With "settling in" you're looking at losing at least 1 week of work time for that, more if your kid isn't adapting rapidly. Every kita is different of course, but that's the average minimum from asking around (and in our case it was 2+ weeks)...

We have never had to do 'settling in' with any of our 4. They were all 3 or nearly 3 when starting. The kitas never suggested it. My husband went in with the 4th (much against my personal policy) and had a world of pain when he tried to leave, silly man. The others were a bit upset and then forgot about us in the face of all that lego and crafting gear. We were in 3 different areas of Niedersachsen. Weird. Clearly it is normal in Berlin. Or is it just for tinies? Crumb if your kid is 3, maybe like us you won't have to stay.

We're coming to Berlin to stay actually, Amanda. We were hoping that she will stay with the same nursery after August but recently learned that the Kitas are closed in August. SO we are looking for an alternative solution for August. We are really just hoping to get her busy for a month while we look for a permanent flat and furnish it. Neither my wife or I start work in August so it's not so pressing to hire a nanny.

Kiplette, I agree with you hypothetically. Our child is well traveled and comes from a big extended family, so she is used to being away from our home and to sleep overs even. She has also done one full year of nursery in Dubai But she does not speak any Deutsch so I will tread carefully in Berlin.

On 1/20/2015, 10:42:01, sellingbacon said:

Are there any bilingual private daycares in central Berlin like this? It doesn't have to be English-German. It could also be French or Spanish. I find €40 per day very reasonable, but I would like to find something around €400 per month.

Did you ever find a private day care?

Why are you desperately looking for daycare at the moment in the middle of the crisis?  Most places are closed.  If you have one of the critical jobs (thank you for your service) then contact the Jugendamt for a solution, you will have to contact them via telephone most probably because they are not open to the public except for emergencies (Kinderschutz).

18 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Why are you desperately looking for daycare at the moment in the middle of the crisis?  Most places are closed.  If you have one of the critical jobs (thank you for your service) then contact the Jugendamt for a solution, you will have to contact them via telephone most probably because they are not open to the public except for emergencies (Kinderschutz).

I know in NRW all of private kitas and schools are closed. I know if you work with drs or in a bank or so you still get childcare... my niece is still going to kiga and there is only her and another kiddi, not private though!. 

Hey Krieg, I think the person was just asking a question for a post 5 years ago.

2 minutes ago, McDee said:

Hey Krieg, I think the person was just asking a question for a post 5 years ago.

No, Lucas bumped several Kita in Berlin threads.

I don't follow so many threads. I was just referring to what they said here.

On 25.3.2020, 15:31:43, Krieg said:

If you have one of the critical jobs (thank you for your service) then contact the Jugendamt for a solution

Small correction, in Berlin it is not the Jugendamt, but rather the SenBJF that is responsible for setting the rules for the Notbetreuung. More Info here: https://www.berlin.de/sen/bjf/coronavirus/aktuelles/notbetreuung/

Please note that this emergency care is only available for people providing essential services such as in health care, transportation, retail (essential goods), police, firefighters, etc.