Will work for room and board! Please help

121 posts in this topic

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=107817

If you are lucky things have changed since 2008. Otherwise, be warned.

Oh wow. The Hamburg Berlitz school is described as even more toxic than the one my friend worked for in Switzerland.

Be brave!

Many of the people that I have know over the years who did English freelancing quit because of the crazy travel times from one job to another for just an hour or two of teaching.

However, some landed some pretty decent regular private jobs in companies where they taught.

Have you worked for Berlitz before?

When they hire a full time employee, they expect them to be able to teach any of the materials at any level at a moments notice, with flawless Berlitz method.

otherwise you are a freelancer making 12 euros per unit.

I have. I spent two years with Berlitz Japan.

Oh wow. The Hamburg Berlitz school is described as even more toxic than the one my friend worked for in Switzerland.

Be brave!

Oh really? That I was not aware of. Okay, it's great that you all are telling me those because I would've went in blind and just thinking that it would be akin to my old branch. I'll be sure to ask a ton of questions and stand my ground. Thanks

Many of the people that I have know over the years who did English freelancing quit because of the crazy travel times from one job to another for just an hour or two of teaching.

However, some landed some pretty decent regular private jobs in companies where they taught.

Hmm, well the company almost always have students come to their offices. When I spoke to the manager I asked about outservices and he said that they don't really do them, so I doubt that I'll be traveling much. And even if I do they compensate for the time traveling (counts as a lesson or more depending on how long it takes) and the costs of getting there and back. So it shouldn't be too terrible. At least I hope not.

I would've went in blind and just thinking that it would be akin to my old branch. I'll be sure to ask a ton of questions and stand my ground. Thanks

I would've gone in blind...

Sorry, you may not have much ground to stand on if you go in speaking and writing bad English. :P

I would've gone in blind...

Sorry, you may not have much ground to stand on if you go in speaking and writing bad English.

"Would have went" is a common phrase, but you're right that it's not grammatically correct. I didn't know I had to be in teacher mode on a message forum. I'm a lot more casual in my English when I'm not in a lesson.

A cat has 9 lives and so does an English teacher it seems - you have been shot down twice :P grammatically

"Would have went" is a common phrase, but you're right that it's not grammatically correct. I didn't know I had to be in teacher mode on a message forum. I'm a lot more casual in my English when I'm not in a lesson.

We're not picking on you. We're trying to let you know that you're getting into something that you'll regret. I couldn't give a fuck if you use correct grammar or not.

I have to say op you have shown a lot of class in spite of repeated attempts by the tt dozens oh sorry doyens to undermine your attempts to get a job and visa in Germany. Good luck to you!

Yeah. Please forgive us for trying to save her from the wolves. Sorry about that.

I am not sure if it is still the case, but the Hamburg Berlitz was at one time the busiest school in all of Europe.

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Primark is one of the best selling chains, but still pays its employees in Bangladesh pennies per hour.

just giving her some info, mr c. but I could have said a bit more. Bascially the office has a revolving door. And, I know who she has an interview with.

If you have all the inside information, then let her know what she's in for!

Let her know that she'll do a couple of weeks of unpaid training.

Let her know that she'll travel for hours between lessons.

Let her know that she'll then have none of her travel paid for.

Let her know that they'll throw her to the lions, if she doesn't accept all of this for about 15 bucks a lesson, at about 2 lessons a day...

well if she lands the full time position, her situation will be quite different. B)

but if she is a freelancer, then that is about right...except they do pay travel.

Ok. I may have been misinformed about travel...

Lookit Jay you are Being a bit of a prick here. The girl is looking for a job in Germany and a visa, and hoping for some help to survive between now and when the job materialises, if indeed it does.

She has already stated she cannot or will not go back to the US so critics on her choices or on her use of English is particularly small minded and useless. Telling her how bad Berlitz are or how bad it is to be a teacher of English as a foreign language doesn't actually help her in any way whatsoever. Maybe she is aiming for this because it is the only real opportunity she has, so for people on TT to be undermining this and making fun of her English is pretty fucking low in my opinion,. In spite of this barrage the girl has remained upbeat and nice to a fault, so I say good on her. If anyone deserves a job and a chance in this country she does!

Jay is actually badly worried about the OP, if even if may come over differently.

I'm worried, too.

Lookit Jay you are Being a bit of a prick here.

Telling her how bad Berlitz are

hey hey hey...back off. leave mr cool alone!

and Berlitz IS a company.