Will US LCD/Smart TV (Samsung) Work in Germany?

5 posts in this topic

Hi All -- I arrived a month or so ago, with a new U.S.-purchased Samsung LCD/Smart (wireless enabled) TV in tow (not purchased for Germany specifically). I was told by Deutsche Telekom that this TV would work with my Telekom "cable" box and internet. I set it up last night -- surprise, I can't seem to get it to work. I don't know if it's me (completely possible) or the TV. The TV tells me the wireless is connected, but that it can't read the signal (connected via HDMI).

Any suggestions out there or must I buy a new TV (or read more books...).

Thanks!

Brooke

Hi El Jeffo...thanks, I'll try that as soon as I get home. Is there a "country option" under settings? (sorry, as you can probably tell, even signing up for this board was a technological step forward for me...)

The Country menu is the third item in the menu on my Samsung TV. Select country, then country, then set the analog and digital channels to Germany. That should hopefully do the trick.

Hang on a sec...

Please specify exactly which part is not working... the tuner (this is the traditional bit where you flick between channels), or the Smart Hub (the Internet bit).

I would imagine that the tuner has issues, since it was set for the US and not German digital transmissions. This part ,may be able to be remedied in an advanced hidden setting, but I am not entirely sure (it may even need a whole new firmware).

If it can't be fixed, you can always add a separate receiver for little money.

If it is the Internet TV side, this should work, and you can even change it to the US so you can watch Hulu (with the required Smart DNS or VPN of course). Try an Ethernet connection if Wi-Fi is having issues.

You say near the end that you have connected via HDMI... what have you connected, as technically speaking, the first test should be without any additional boxes.