Exchanging Indian driving license for German

45 posts in this topic

Even if German DL or Intl DL is valid in India, my only worry is that I have applied for Class B alone and hence I cannot drive a Motorbike when I visit India. For my friend who applied for German DL in Chemnitz, they didn't get his Indian DL in Rathaus. Simply they got his translated version only.

German class B includes AM and L (motorbikes < 50 ccm and max speed 45 kmh).

Chemnitz is in other German state. While the law is the same, its application varies with regards to whether you can still get your old license for visits or not.

I think the best solution here is to stick to scooters while in India or get a new license there (or report old license as lost and get a news one). Stupid intergovernment agreement which Germany enforces while it doesn't make sense any more.

You just have to tell the person at the KVR that you want to have the original license back and they will return it with a sticker which states that the license has been used for conversion to a German Driving License (Klasse....).

On 1/12/2015, 3:45:33, yourkeau said:

No way. There are only two cases in which you can keep your license:

1. Beamter forgets to take it away.

2. You have multiple categories but exchange only category B (a car). For example, you have AB license (car and motocycle), then you exchange it into German B license and keep Indian license because it contains additional category A.

Hello Yourkeau,

Do you know if there is some law or specific reference that I can show to the Verkehrsamt officer for point #2 here? I am in the process of exchanging my Indian license for German one (in Hannover) and am in this exact situation: India licence has Motorcycle + Car on it, but so far I'm working on the German license only for car, ie category B.

Many thanks!

On 2.6.2020, 22:38:10, chinster said:

Hello Yourkeau,

Do you know if there is some law or specific reference that I can show to the Verkehrsamt officer for point #2 here? I am in the process of exchanging my Indian license for German one (in Hannover) and am in this exact situation: India licence has Motorcycle + Car on it, but so far I'm working on the German license only for car, ie category B.

Many thanks!

Hi Chinster,

I was in the same situation as you. I had a motorbike+car licence from India but had to surrender it in the Verkehrsamt in Hamburg.

I chose to have a motorbike+car license in Germany, so it won't be a big problem when I go back to India as I can get an International Driving Permit from the Verkehrsamt.

It is not ideal that you lose your Indian motorbike driving license when you just want to apply for a car driving license here in Germany. Then again, many of my Indian friends in Bavaria were able to hold on to their Indian driving license even after getting a German driving license. So, I guess in the end it all boils down to which state you live in.

On 6/2/2020, 11:38:10, chinster said:

Hello Yourkeau,

Many thanks!

The law is formulated very vague:

In begründeten Fällen kann die Fahrerlaubnisbehörde davon absehen, den ausländischen Führerschein in Verwahrung zu nehmen oder ihn an die ausländische Stelle zurückzuschicken.

https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/fev_2010/__30a.html

Ability to ride a motorbike outside Germany constitutes such a "justified case" (begründeter Fall) when the Driving License Authority does not take away your license. So, go ahead and speak to them!