The current weather in Hamburg & Surrounds

330 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, dstanners said:

I thought you were made of tougher stuff: stick the wet weather gear on and get out there. I've just come back from an hour being blown around the Eifel. If anything my dog prefers it wild and windy. There were plenty of fallen trees, but no other dog walkers sadly. 

My lovely young neighbour loves Mandy and asked if he could take her for a walk! They have just come back after half an hour.

I would, of course , have gone out with her as 7 pm is her time for her final walk but a Good Samaritan stepped up!❤️🐶

2 hours ago, dstanners said:

I thought you were made of tougher stuff: stick the wet weather gear on and get out there. I've just come back from an hour being blown around the Eifel. If anything my dog prefers it wild and windy. There were plenty of fallen trees, but no other dog walkers sadly. 

I have just remembered your area was badly hit by water last year. You have it tough down there. I admire your stamina being blown around the Eifel! I am so light weight these days I would probably have been blown away over a chimney, never to be seen again!😂

10 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Anything over 118 km is hurricane force. 

chart

No need to live in Florida, Hamburg will do.

Beaufort wind scale! I have learnt something new! Thank you!👍👍

Something we sailors use a lot, John. I can usually predict the Beaufort by looking at the water surface. I like to do that before looking at the instruments. I'm pretty good with speed, too.

5 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Something we sailors use a lot, John. I can usually predict the Beaufort by looking at the water surface. I like to do that before looking at the instruments. I'm pretty good with speed, too.

That's true. When I did my Scuba training there was stuff about looking at whitecaps etc. in the sea to estimate wind speeds.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

( Smiling ). " Pretty good with speed."

I used to be good at " speed " in my hitchhiking days- helped keep me awake!😂 

( Ever tried to hitch hike out of Las Vegas? Which fool would risk maybe winning some cash and taking a vagrant with them?)😎😀

One did and I am eternally grateful! All the way in one lift to LA! LONG way!!

Edit: I had forgotten my rambling annoys some people🤭. I am just of that grandfatherly age...

If you want me to leave the forum, just say the word. I will quietly disappear into the storm.

32 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Anything over 118 km is hurricane force. 

chart

No need to live in Florida, Hamburg will do.

I think a lot of the high numbers in the press today were of the maximum gusts, rather than actual sustained wind speeds.

Hamburg windspeed was 40 -50 kmh this morning, with gusts to 90 or so.

28 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Well, a song for you sailors!

I remember it as a kid. My Auntie Alwyn had the record!

15 minutes ago, Magmax said:

Stay safe everybody.

Thank you. We are just joking, pretending it isn't serious. Whistling in the dark, as it were.

Currently the proverbial calm before the storm.

This morning at around 7:30 there was a very orange sky which was gone 5 minutes later.

sorry to be so off topic (130Km away and not Hamburg)
but I do feel that this pic more than adequately captures the idea of how windy it was yesterday.

(Is there a "weather in Wismar" thread ??)

wind.jpg

After a few hours of relatively light rain & not much wind its now raining heavily & the wind is stronger.

Currently the direction appears to be from the Southwest.

its a bit lively outside at the moment.

Evening walk with dogs is cancelled.  They will just be pushed out into the garden.