The current weather in Hamburg & Surrounds

343 posts in this topic

Wednesday at 13:00  - looks windy outside...

But as someone on TT used to say

"There's a storm coming"

Well, batten down the dog kennel, cause it's going to blow tonight!

Here a forecast  from Windy.com for our area at 22:00 Wednesday

storm-hh.jpg

add to that, that it is 50 years ago this week that the North Sea invaded Hamburg, killing some 315 people

These days the dykes are much higher (and hopefully much stronger)

HH Flood 1962 

Storm Force 10 (cue the Steeleye Span album) forecast and up to 12 in exposed places.

All due to last until Thursday evening according to Wetter.com:

STORM.jpg

37 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Avoid the ferries ...

Really surprised these were still operating in the circumstances.

Thankfully, no seriously injured passengers who were on their way to Airbus. They left from landing pier Teufelsbrücke, devils bridge (what a name).

I did a round trip this morning - Pinneberg - Oha (really called that) - Tornesch (give mash with medicine to horse, then Lidl) - Prisdorf & home.

First there was a large branch down at the side of the road. 

Then near the recycling center a refuse truck appeared to have the wheels on one side in a ditch & be leaning against a tree.

Through Prisdorf the Bilsbeck was over its banks & meadows both sides of the road flooded as bad as I've ever seen.

I was just about to go out of the office for a doggie walk. Postponed!! The rain has just restarted...

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Thankfully, no seriously injured passengers who were on their way to Airbus. They left from landing pier Teufelsbrücke, devils bridge (what a name).

I still can't get over that the ferry was operating in a hurricane. It just seems to me that sometimes people who are in authority here can't use their common sense. 

The airbus employees obviously had no other choice to get to work. They shouldn't have been in a position to take that ferry.

15 minutes ago, pmd said:

I still can't get over that the ferry was operating in a hurricane. It just seems to me that sometimes people who are in authority here can't use their common sense. 

The airbus employees obviously had no other choice to get to work. They shouldn't have been in a position to take that ferry.

Why did they even have to go work, much less board a ferry?  Call me crazy, but I don’t get it.  I grew up in a climate with hurricane season.  As a storm approached everyone was told to stay home until/unless instructed to evacuate, and we all prepared for the worst while hoping for the best.  Hurricanes are serious business.  🙄

28 minutes ago, john g. said:

I was just about to go out of the office for a doggie walk. Postponed!! The rain has just restarted...

I thought you were made of tougher stuff: stick the wet weather gear on and get out there. I've just come back from an hour being blown around the Eifel. If anything my dog prefers it wild and windy. There were plenty of fallen trees, but no other dog walkers sadly. 

2 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

Why did they even have to go work, much less board a ferry?  Call me crazy, but I don’t get it.  I grew up in a climate with hurricane season.  As a storm approached everyone was told to stay home until/unless instructed to evacuate, and we all prepared for the worst while hoping for the best.  Hurricanes are serious business.  🙄

Yes, the Airbus HR Dept dropped the ball there too. 

31 minutes ago, pmd said:

The film from the  shore shows the boat was handling the waves well.  It would have probably made me throw up though.   The problem was the window.  The emergency services did not find out about it for hours, they were not called out.

19 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

As I just logged in, I got this weather warning.

I've never received such a warning before.

IMO we are lucky more people didn't get killed.  The powers that be seem to have grasped that fact.  People stayed home for years to avoid Covid.  They can certainly stay home during a hurricane.