The current weather in Hamburg & Surrounds

343 posts in this topic

I'm supposed to be showing a potential new member around our club facilities tomorrow.

There is a risk that whole thing gets rained off.

Weekend doesn't look so good either.

5 weeks on - and its roasting here!

There were a few towering clouds yesterday evening & distant thunder but nothing close.

Currently a little cool air coming in from the open window.

Apart from the sound of distant traffic (the A23 & Pinneberg Westring are just a km or so away) one can hear the frogs croaking (singing?) in the Fischteiche...

(7:40): The promised rain started to fall a short while ago - just what the garden needs.

Currently without accompanying drumrolls.

Update (7:46): Spoke too soon...

48 minutes ago, HEM said:

(7:40): The promised rain started to fall a short while ago - just what the garden needs.

Currently without accompanying drumrolls.

Update (7:46): Spoke too soon...

We had drumrolls and flashies in the early hours, at least there is a bit of a breeze and its not as hot as the last few days!

Yup. 4:30 am the drumrolls were here. 

The breeze is beautiful. Bringing the scent of elderflowers into the house. Such a transformation from the heat of the last few days.

Very heavy rain in the night & this morning - currently just reduced to "normal" rain.

So far for our club's "Sommerfliegen" we have only been able to operate on Monday.

I suspect those younger members camping in the club garden might not be so happy.

Come August - come Autumn.

We were lucky at the weekend - able to fly both days even if there were almost no thermals - but at least OK for student pilot training.

Sunday started with rain but we believed the forecast & were able to start operations late in the morning.

At any rate it was better than today - strong winds & lashings of heavy rain.

5 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

I know this really belongs in the SH thread -

The tread title does say "The Current Weather in Hamburg and surrounds" so you are good to go...

A hefty cold front system is forecast for Sunday - batten down the hatches!

Yesterday (Saturday) was not too bad -  most of the day was dry but there was very little Sun & the afternoon was quite cold.

We were able to have 36 glider launches on our airfield despite the cross wind which was less strong than forecast.

Today (Sunday) was as forecast - high winds from Southerly dirtection & occasional rain showers.  Flying ops had been cancelled the evening before.

Not quite sure how Hamburg manages to get its own weather thread, but as a resident, I have to say I'm starting to appreciate it. Though I should mention I have to be careful about excessive exposure to the sun.  So when I view those high temperatures in Baden Wurtemburg and Bayern, I'm not envious!  

And with global warming on the way,  it will be pretty much optimal here long term, though will have to watch out for the Elbe water level rising.  

2 hours ago, alexunterwegs said:

Not quite sure how Hamburg manages to get its own weather thread,

Thats easy to answer: because I created it!

Though I should mention I have to be careful about excessive exposure to the sun.

The risk of that happening over the next 6 months is rather low.

6 hours ago, HEM said:

The risk of that happening over the next 6 months is rather low.

I was somewhat disappointed with the weather  when I came to Germany and lived in Hamburg.

The clouds came down to chruch spire level in October and gave us a grey, 

featureless sky until Easter. Only occasional breaks in the clouds during the non summer

months lifted spirits noticably. (Very noticable if you travelled on the U-Bahn)

But in the 1990's we did get frozen canals &  lakes (Alstervergnügen) which was

something I'd never experienced in Blighty

On 4.10.2021, 10:27:10, HH_Sailor said:

I was somewhat disappointed with the weather  when I came to Germany and lived in Hamburg.

Coming from just South / Southwest of Manchester I didnt find the weather in Hamburg to be too bad.

Mind you, 40 years ago the weather was better.

Anyhow - our airfield is sodden from all the recent rain so the gliding season has finished for this year...

All club gliders are scheduled to have a weekend or two in the workshops; theory lectures for those in training start in November.