SKY GO - Problem with VPN

53 posts in this topic

Just arrived in Hamburg and using VPN ( Golden Frog) to watch UK tv on my iPad. It works great for BBC iplayer and ITV etc.ut there is an issue with SkY Go.It lets me into the screens all the way up to requesting to watch a movie, footie, a live programme and then it comes up with the following message.The requested URL is not found on this server.

I discussed this with Golden Frog and found it is a known problem but they are not able to fix it at the moment. I saw similar posts to this two years ago and here was a solution posted but it didnt make sense to me.

"Open iTunes. Go to menu bar. Choose Store. Choose Authorized this computer. Then restart the device. And try if it works well now. If does not work, you open iTunes. On the menu bar, choose iTunes. Choose preference. Choose Advanced tab. Choose reset warnings and reset cache. Choose Store from the menu. Choose Sign out. Then restart. This happens because of transfer of copyright of the movie or video. It is the logic behind the mechanism and content of transfer are legally taken by a single seller software and hardware."

Does anyone else have this issue? My Sky Go works perfectly in UK. Should I be using another VPN. Its a nightmare this, as the landlord in the property we are moving to wont allow sat dishes.

This is worth a beer to anyone who can help.Advice please.

Tony

Tony, my Sky Go account has run out, but when I last tested it, it was working perfectly good via Smart DNS (which is generally better than VPNs for watching TV). I plan to rekindle my Sky Go account in the next couple of weeks to test out the PS4 app, but until then, because the video quality is so bad on iOS, I don't really bother.

That said, maybe Sky Go have made a change or something and blocked it. I have an active Now TV account from Sky, and that seems to be working perfectly well.

There are a lot of ways to watch UK television in Germany if you can't get a satellite dish on to your apartment. Just have a look here, or ask the people on this forum, and it can be viewed on any normal HDMI TV if you have the right set-top-box.

In a nutshell, the best way is via Smart DNS which is usually cheaper than VPN, faster (as it doesn't tunnel everything) and easier to configure on Smart TVs and many STBs. There are lots of different Smart DNS providers, and everyone here has their favourite.

The cheapest STB if you are in a Budget is the Now TV box (£10) but has a bit of a small gotcha in configuration. (It will offer Now TV, BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD and Demand 5)

If you have an Apple TV, you can airplay BBC, 4oD and ITV, but not Demand 5, Now TV or Sky Go.

Again, loads of options.

Just use strongvpn.com or hidemyass.com as your VPN - both still working fine with SKY.

I personally prefer VPN to DNS 'cos you don't have to keep messing with updating IP's and less risk of things going wrong. Also I find it more stable than a Smart DNS...and I have used and tested many variations. Price normally the same - hidemyass is cheap.

the world is a better place, just installed hide my ass and Sky Go is perfect. Many thanks.

I don't know if this affects you or not, but I had an issue on Sky Go on my Samsung phone it used to work fine via VPN and then suddenly stopped and I believe that the reason is because the app was updated so that it is somehow reading information about your location from the device itself so if you are roaming (or have a none UK sim card?) then it can detect this can stop it running.

On my Nexus 7 (wifi only) then it still works fine via VPN, so I just use this now. So maybe if you have an iPad with a data sim card then this might be the issue?

Also of course make sure that your iPad is a registered device in your Sky Go account via the website.

Running Skygo over Strong VPN also here and it works alright. Strong has been a bit flaky lately on servers and I bene in a few battles with them with their VPN server kicking me off at time and then also slow speed. Changed servers as it is allowed but then got told I exceeded my changes a month.

Blah blah blah, and so it got sorted.

Telekom also is a bit sketchy on their routing protocols as they do something a few times a day that also agitates the VPN. Still on 50Mbs its ok most the time. Sometimes you need to log out and then back in if the quality goes down which seems to clear it up. This is on a Mac OS X.

Dish would be a bette solution, at least for quality if I could.

I'm looking for a Sky Go account that someone may want to lease to me, ideally Sky Go Extra (but not so important).  The Sky Go account would need to have Sports and preferably Movies (I assume Entertainment is the default option?).  I'm after 2 devices.

If anyone can help me out please drop me a private message.

Cheers.

On 1/7/2015, 4:30:59, redd20 said:

Hello Tony,

Probably your VPN has been blacklisted. Have you tried an other VPN ? You can maybe check this guide How to bypass vpn blocks. One other option could be to use Smart DNS but it's much more restrictive by nature.

Ok... I will resurect this one as its as good as any other VPN topic..

Mail just in from my UK VPN supplier.. 

They now supply VPN that is Dedicated to the States!!!   They say it works with all tested Providers in the states for their "Live/Catch-up " stuff.. ( Now, it could be that they have only tested 2 Providers/stations.. I dont know)

Stand alone Router that gives you a second Network in the house/Flat... One for General surfing and one for those times you want to appear to be in the states.. 

15 GBP per month... Plus the cost of a router... 

Its a tad expensive, but its all about the personal touch...!!!  They actually have a real live telephone number that gets answered 0900-1700 Mon-Fri UK times!!   

PM me if we can assist!

And if you dont know anyone in Ireland.? ( Or in the UK who you trust with your account info)

AND after Brexit... it could be that these Copyright deals are reversed !

16 minutes ago, HansGroover said:

you just need someone in Ireland or the UK to log in every 30 days

Or you could do it yourself with a VPN.

:lol:

I was using IPVanish, but it no longer works with Iplayer, ITVPlayer or NowTV anymore, so have cancelled it.

Shame as the app is very good.

Can anyone advise. I'm here in Hamburg looking at maybe subscribing to VPN and wondering if its fairly foolproof to get UK tv BBC and ITV, as well as Dutch and Danish TV. (main public broadcasters).  Do you have to choose one or the other country or can you get stations from all 3?

If so, are there any major technical snags? If you are supposed to have an IP identity in the 3 countries, do you these get offered to you and you just pick any ones at random? 

I assume it would work with a Toshiba laptop.   

6 hours ago, alexunterwegs said:

Can anyone advise. I'm here in Hamburg looking at maybe subscribing to VPN and wondering if its fairly foolproof to get UK tv BBC and ITV, as well as Dutch and Danish TV. (main public broadcasters).  Do you have to choose one or the other country or can you get stations from all 3?

If so, are there any major technical snags? If you are supposed to have an IP identity in the 3 countries, do you these get offered to you and you just pick any ones at random? 

I assume it would work with a Toshiba laptop.   

If you want your service to work for multiple countries then you will need to use a different VPN server for each one.  This means that you can only ever be connected to one at a time (per device) and that the VPN provider needs to offer this from the countries you want.  You then decide "today I will watch BBC", connect to the UK VPN server, then later, when you want to connect to the Netherlands you disconnect from the UK and reconnect to the Netherlands, and Bob's your uncle! 

However, you might want to consider a Smart DNS service instead, especially for the UK services, and then just use VPN for connecting to the Netherlands and Denmark (for which Smart DNS is not so popular).

This works by changing the DNS settings on your router (whole house) or PC/Laptop/Phone.  It then routes your DNS traffic via their service and makes your location appear as if it is in the other country (e.g. UK).  It is passive, so you don't have to connect and it only disguises your location for specific services.  So when you connect to iPlayer the BBC think you are in the UK, but on the same device you can connect to ZDF/ARD and they think you are in Germany and you don't have to do anything.  

Smart DNS is used mostly for UK & US services, NL & DK are not so popular.  So you might still want to use VPN for them.

I use  https://www.getflix.com.au/

I have the DNS set-up on my router for UK services, and occasionally use VPN from my desktop.  Works great, never had a problem.  I also use a Dynamic DNS provider from my router, this updates my IP address with Getflix every time it changes (needs support from your router), so that you don't have to do it manually.

They also have a "region switch" option for specific services.  They also offer a free trial, so check it out to see if it works for you.

9 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

If you want your service to work for multiple countries then you will need to use a different VPN server for each one.  This means that you can only ever be connected to one at a time (per device) and that the VPN provider needs to offer this from the countries you want.  You then decide "today I will watch BBC", connect to the UK VPN server, then later, when you want to connect to the Netherlands you disconnect from the UK and reconnect to the Netherlands, and Bob's your uncle! 

However, you might want to consider a Smart DNS service instead, especially for the UK services, and then just use VPN for connecting to the Netherlands and Denmark (for which Smart DNS is not so popular).

This works by changing the DNS settings on your router (whole house) or PC/Laptop/Phone.  It then routes your DNS traffic via their service and makes your location appear as if it is in the other country (e.g. UK).  It is passive, so you don't have to connect and it only disguises your location for specific services.  So when you connect to iPlayer the BBC think you are in the UK, but on the same device you can connect to ZDF/ARD and they think you are in Germany and you don't have to do anything.  

Smart DNS is used mostly for UK & US services, NL & DK are not so popular.  So you might still want to use VPN for them.

I use  https://www.getflix.com.au/

I have the DNS set-up on my router for UK services, and occasionally use VPN from my desktop.  Works great, never had a problem.  I also use a Dynamic DNS provider from my router, this updates my IP address with Getflix every time it changes (needs support from your router), so that you don't have to do it manually.

They also have a "region switch" option for specific services.  They also offer a free trial, so check it out to see if it works for you.

Thanks Jay. 

When you say, you need a different VPN server for each country, apparently VPNExpress cover all 3 countries I mentioned. When switching servers, how easy is that? Is it literally like switching channels on a tv, or satellites on a satellite system? Or does it involve messing around with the router? 

The Smart DNS sounds a bit complicated for me. I don't want to try changing router settings for the whole house (whatever that means), but it sounds like a fair chance I end up with nothing, or having to call out a technician.  

The VPN, if it covers all the countries I want, sounds the less complicated option. I imagine you also need to be dealing with a reputable company, and not some rip-off merchants or worse still, hackers. 

Why not just buy 3 cheap routers and programme each one up with the different sever addresses.. then call each network UK NL and Nor...  then simply connect to the country you want to wirelessly?