Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Insurance for car hire from private persons

8 posts in this topic

Does anybody know whether there is insurance available to cover liablity claims if you rent a car from a private person? I am aware if insurance4carhire, but they only cover the excess and only if you rent from a company.

Hi,

Does anybody know whether there is insurance available to cover liablity claims if you rent a car from a private person?

if you rent a car from a "private person" he/she is commiting tax fraud for sure. You just cannot rent stuff to folks without having things set up properly and legally. And that includes the proper insurance. And if you run around asking for an insurance for that you basically could go to the police right away, as this will end up with a criminal charge anyway...

How on earth do you think somebody is going to insure that kind of a "private unofficial half ass business"?

Cheers

Franklan

How on earth do you think somebody is going to insure that kind of a "private unofficial half ass business"?

The owner of the vehicle has to buy insurance that allows renting the car, any private person can do that. Then the owner of the car and the client sign a renting contract.

Hi,

Then the owner of the car and the client sign a renting contract.

and then the owner has to pay taxes. :-)

The deal jeba is trying to make is renting a car without official insurance by the owner and without official renting contract, I have to assume.

Cheers

Franklan

Hi,

What would happen if the owner "lent" the car to Jeba, as a friend? Would his personal liability insurance cover him?

depends on the small printed in the contract:

https://www.test.de/Autoversicherung-Wenn-mehr-Fahrer-das-Auto-nutzen-moechten-4680191-0/

In the contract you specified who is going to drive the car, and the fee was calculated based on that (The "Fahrerkreis").

Keep in mind that the insurances offer you low fees when you are an experienced driver with a clean record. Now, you "loan" that car to somebody with a bad record who couldn't afford a car in another way (due to the obscene fees he has to pay)... That is basically cheating the insurance, isn't it?

Cheers

Franklan

There is nothing illegal to it. I want to rent a cottage in another country from a lady who will be going to Germany for a few weeks and would like to rent her car together with the cottage. I myself rented out my car a couple of years ago and for a 10% surcharge my car insurance gave cover to the renter as well. However, they don´t do that anymore. So I wonder whether there is another option. Maybe there is some kind of insurance which comes with credit cards or with a club membership (e.g. like the ADAC - but not the ADAC as they don´t offer it).

Hi,

(e.g. like the ADAC - but not the ADAC as they don´t offer it).

Why didn't you ask the ADAC, they for sure offer that in cooperation with arisa?! And why didn't you mention the fact that we are talking about a different country?! What you need is usually called a "Mallorca police", an additional (German) insurance as add-on the existing insurance of the foreign car.

"Zusatzhaftpflichtversicherung für Mietfahrzeuge im Ausland"

http://www.arisa-direkt.de/PDF_Documents/FLYER_MT.pdf

Cheers

Franklan