Splitboarding in the Alps

9 posts in this topic

Hi people, i was just wondering if anyone here is into splitboarding specifically? i am a beginner, but plan to do few camps with DAV this season. in the meantime would like to do few tours while snow lasts and would appreciate some company, both for fun and safety reasons:)

i am on karakoram softboot setup and of average fitness.

Hi,

I am a skier and interested in ski touring so I suppose we could ride together. I would prefer some easyish routes for now, just to check if I'm still ok, I'm not in the best shape these days.

I would also be interested about the things happening at DAV, if you have some more info, please share (their site seems to be only in German, which I don't speak yet).

Cheers!

Hey there, apologies for late reply, i've been on DAV course in Silvretta (some pics below). DAV has extensive ski touring programme, you can scroll through some offers here: http://en.calameo.com/read/000583297e6446c888931 they have ski tours planned every wend i think and they have guide with them.

i would suggest you visit one of their center on Isartor (in Globetrotter) on near Hbf for more info (i am sure most of them are rather fluent in English) as touring with splitboarders won't be the same as with group of ski tourers (due to speed, terrain choices etc).

post-166967-14230462375303_thumb.jpg

Also sorry for the late reply

You should try http://www.munichskitourers.de/

They ski tour (and I) up a local mountain each weekend and ski down.

All are welcome, run by an English man and does not cost anything

maybe it helps...

Just resurrecting this post.

Are there any splitboarders out there?

I've been boarding for years and last season starting dabbling in a bit of off-piste but thinking of making the step into splitboarding.

Is there an active splitboarding scene here? What are the DAV courses like, is fluent german a requirement for them? Is it worth buying the board or renting as there seem to be some decent discounts on last seasons gear (I have the avalanche equipment already). I checked out the link above for the ski tours but not sure if its still going.

Thanks

Hey Snowman, not sure about Toytown, but there are definitely few splitboarders around Munchen. Our numbers are nothing though compared to skitouring folk. 

I'd suggest you rent initially, DAV has K2s and Priors. I've been on few DAV courses, they are usually in German/Bavarian, so language knowledge definitely helps, especially when conversation turns in direction of route finding and navigation.

Also, there are few festivals and events dedicated to splitboarding, should we get some decent snow it might be worth visiting.