Ticket Reservation/Flight Itinerary

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I live in Munich and I am going to South Africa for my internship. I have to apply for a long stay visa and they require a Proof of Flight Reservation (e.g. flight itinerary / booking) from me. I have to apply for the visa two month ahead and my travel dates are not fixed yet.

Is it possible to only reserve a flight without paying for it and change or book it later? I went to a TUi travel office and they told me that my only option is to buy a ticket and any later changes in dates would be subject to a fee.

Cheers

Hi Ben, if they wanted to be super nice they could book a dummy itinerary for you and print it off, then cancel it so the airline don't bill them for not cancelling a reservation, as the reservation will have a ticketing deadline.

I did that for a client that needed an itinerary for a travel visa request. I told him upfront that I charge a fee and done.

HI,

Thanks for the information.

I just found out that Turkish Airlines website has an option for a free 5-day valid online reservation. Do you think that embassy accepts this?

This is what exactly they want: "a valid return air ticket or proof of reservation thereof, e.g. flight itinerary / booking;"

The embassy may or may not accept this as anyone can book online and print it and it is not proof of a payment. So getting it done through a travel agent, the itinerary will be printed on their letter head. Some embassies want an actual ticket.

I had a guy that decided on a whim he was going to Saudi Arabia to look for a job as his friend had told him how much money he was making etc. The Saudi embassy wanted the actual ticket, which carried a penalty when cancelled. He purchased ticket, and I encouraged him to take out insurance incase he got turned down to claim cancellation penalty, which he declined. Unfortunately in his case, he got turned down because they also required a company letter from his employer sending him there or a company there inviting him for work, he lost about 350.00.

You have a couple of additional options.

1) Lufthansa have a price guarantee service: http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Flightreservation-with-priceguarantee

Basically you go through the booking procedure on their website, then you click on the "Secure your fare" button and pay a fee of 30 Euros and the flights are guaranteed for 48 hours. If you don't confirm then it just costs your 30 euros.

2) You can book a fully flexible ticket

You book a fully flexible ticket which will cost a lot of money but will allow you to cancel for a full refund (sometimes against a small fee, depending on airline and booking conditions). So you use this for your visa, then cancel the ticket to get the money back and then book a cheaper flight for the dates you want.

Be careful however, it really does need to be fully flexible.

3) You can book a semi-flex ticket and change dates

(As somebody said) you can book a semi-flex tickets for the dates which you think you might travel, and then if they change then you can pay a fee to change your flights.

Be aware that depending on the ticket type the fee to change tickets can be 50, 100, 300 euros! Plus, you might have to pay a difference in fare class between the flights