Samsung TV turning itself on in middle of night

21 posts in this topic

One of my Samsung TV's (F-Series) keeps turning itself on in the middle of the night.

What's odd is there is no picture, no blue or grey screen but we here someone speaking English, so far always a male voice.

It doesn't happen every night but some nights it happens twice and not at regular times either, it only lasts for about 20 seconds but long enough to wake us as its the bedroom tv.

Any ideas, I tried googling but couldn't find the exact problem, most are about the TV's just turning themselves on and off.

It's rather weird especially given it's always English language spoken on a german TV, whether the country store makes any difference I have no idea as that's set to the UK.

Must be on stand-by for this to happen. Switch it off properly if you want undisturbed sleep. As to what radio frequency is hi-jacking your telly, just be glad it isn't your fillings that are on the same wave-length.

This is very weird indeed.

Our ES series turns itself on all the time, the off (red) light is still on, and the screen is still black, but in a dark room you can still see light faintly bleeding from the screen. It then turns off about 20 seconds later.

We don't get any sound though.

I was wondering if this was some sort of self test or scheduled check for updates. I had a DVD player that done this - it would check for updates every morning at 8am, so switch on for 20seconds, then off.

But sound... now that is weird. I'd contact Samsung over this one.

What model is it by the way, as our F-series Samsung doesn't do this.

@Jaysmoove its starting to freak the missus as I was out till the wee hours this morning and it happened while I was out.

@optimista, I have 3 Samsung Tv's which are all in standby mode 24/7 and only this one does it.

@ovbg its the F UE 6740, I checked the settings and it is indeed on automatic update but what's confusing is that it's set to check updates 2 hours after going into standby mode. It doesn't make sense cause the times its happened don't correspond to the update settings and its also happened twice in the night and also in english.

I thought ARD was showing an english program or something the first time I heard it as that was the last channel we had watched but in the past week we've heard it several times.

I've now cancelled the automatic update so will see if it continues, watch tbis space cause if it does I might be selling a cheap tv if anyone's interested.

I've now cancelled the automatic update so will see if it continues, watch tbis space cause if it does I might be selling a cheap tv if anyone's interested.

You could just switch it off overnight :rolleyes:

Hi, Sir Percy B,

Some of the high class Samsungs have speech recognition capabilities. Not kidding.

Maybe that feature is enabled on your TV and some - errmmm - "noises" trigger the system to give a siri style answer like "sorry, I did not get that command". Yeah, the telly is talking to you.

The reason why it does so in English is because you have set it to have an English UI, I have to assume.

As a forensic start, I would switch the UI to German and see if it is going to talk German to you.

Cheers

Franklan

:o Type into Youtube Samsung smart tv recording your conversations. You may well be horrified enough to chuck the damned thing out of the window. Absolutely shocking and disgusting.

The world today is not a nice place

I am a Large.. infact XXXL.... :lol:

I have a Samsung and I heard this is because a couple of dollars cheap part they put in there then it gets hot, blows up and then people get rid of their tv without knowing whats wrong with it,i have not fix my tv because it has done this only a couple of times, its freaky but check this video out see if it helps!My link

Poltergeist?

Might even be a PolterGOOST!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7ob8KJ3xp8

@Franklan

funny you should reply, coincidentally this appears to have started since adding a TP Link router after seeing your post in "TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite". Thanks for the link by the way.

I'd had sitting around for sometime a Now TV box and finally got around to installing it about 10 days ago after buying the TP Link router for the DNS servers and since then the TV has been, well, coming on by itself with no picture for a few seconds.

I'm glad to report that last night was a quite night having set the auto update to off yesterday but will need to wait a few more nights to see if it was indeed that problem.

If not I will look to disconnect the TP Link router and see if that solves the problem but I'm guessing the auto update will do the trick.

Thanks for all the other replies by the way.

Hi,

I'd had sitting around for sometime a Now TV box and finally got around to installing it about 10 days ago after buying the TP Link router for the DNS servers and since then the TV has been, well, coming on by itself with no picture for a few seconds.

Man, that sounds spooky. I'd love to trace that down to the core (attaching a LAN logger that records the background network activities of that specific TV for a few days and analyzing it). Yes, and velcroing a microphone to the TV to record what "the male voice" actually says.

But Berlin is a little bit too far away and I do not have access to a TV of that brand.

Cheers

Franklan

I've seen a couple of similar reports to this on the Interweb, and the resolution was found by contacting Samsung who said to replace the TV under warranty. It seems there may be a faulty part which can cause this.

If auto updates doesn't work, I'd contact Samsung support.

Is your tv set near to some window facing some other appartments? Can a neighbour trying to have some fun with a similar remote control or a universal remote?

My PC goes on and off for a few seconds every few hours. As far as I can tell, this is caused by the NAS sending some 'keepalive' packets over the network and the PC having its 'wake-on-lan' (WOL) switch being set to on.

Doesn't the fire brigade recommend not leaving TVs on standby? There have been some very bad fires because of TVs going up in flames. Maybe the newer ones are safer. I always turn everything off at the mains.