Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Moving to Goettingen with Kids

3 posts in this topic

My husband took a job at the University and we will be moving to Goettingen soon. Now the impossible, finding a place to live. We are moving from Mannheim, a much larger city with excellent public transportation. We have not needed a car here, nor do I want to have to purchase one in Goettingen. So, we are looking for a part of town that is not in the Innenstadt, but has good access to the bus, and shopping possibilities such as grocery stores, bakeries, butcher, pharmacy, etc. nearby. Where we currently live, everything is within 5 minutes walking distance (and we don't live downtown) including 3 playgrounds, a Reformhaus, many little fruit/veggie shops, restaurants, etc. If I don't want to, there is no need for me to go downtown. Is there such a place in Goettingen.

Further, we have 2 small children and I would love some tips for best areas for schools, playgrounds, etc.

Thanks for any tips at all! Feel free to include tips for newcomers to Goettingen.

PS - I have read the previous posts regarding moving to the city and we just visited to check out the city and we were unable to find a lot of "neighborhood" bakeries, butchers, grocery, etc. I do have to say that the people we met, from the moment we stepped off the train, were very friendly and helpful.

I suppose living in Weende would be a nice solution. It has major supermaket chains like Rewe, Real, Aldi, Media Markt etc. It also has some sort of Farmers' market (I have never been to one - but I've heard it's good). There are pharmacies and bakeries around too. There is at least one park (which has streams flowing through it, so it's quite nice). I have no idea about schools and butchers though. It is well connected by bus. This is the general area: https://goo.gl/maps/U230a

I'm not sure if there is any place in Goettingen that meet your requirement. If your husband is working in north campus, Weende might be your best choice. There is a playground and a kindergarten in north campus. The only problem is that there are few restaurant in Weende.