Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Travelling to Germany on Canadian passport

3 posts in this topic

I am travelling to Germany on my Canadian passport, and within the first 90 days I will receive my UK passport (dual citizenship). In order to have the benefits of being in Germany with an EU/UK passport, I have been told that I have to leave Germany on my Canadian passport, and re-enter Germany on my UK passport.

I was told that I can simply go to a neighboring country, such as France and find a checkpoint there. I am confused about how this all works. Will I be documented leaving Germany on my Canadian passport? Do they scan it or stamp it?

I know that the Schengen agreement allows free passage basically for Canadians, so how will my passport even get checked?

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Schengen doesn't mean that your passport doesn't get checked. They will scan it into the computer and the entry date will be recorded in the Schengen Information System (SIS). I know a Kiwi who got UK citizenship while in Germany and simply went to the city hall and informed them. Of course, she already had a residence permit. I would suggest coming over here, register and tell them that you will soon be a UK citizen and ask them what to do. I am guessing you should get the same deal, they will simply update their system (a different one from SIS) that you are in Germany as a UK citizen. When leaving Germany you show your UK passport. You don't need to ever show your Canadian passport again when entering or leaving the EU.

You'll be hard pressed to find anyone at the internal border posts these days. Plus France is in the Schengen zone so there is no need to scan a passport at the internal borders anymore. Occasionally they do spot checks and step things up when waves of illegal immigrants are coming but generally if you are white European looking they won't want to talk to you or even allow you to bother them with asking for a passport scan. But the UK is not in Schengen so that could be an option.

Your rights as an EU citizen in Germany are not affected by what passport you used to enter the country.

However: entry + exit is recorded, both electronically, and using good old stamps (for non-EU passports). So if you enter on a Canadian passport and don't leave the Schengen space within 90 days, the computerized Schengen system, which has a record of your Canadian citizenship only, may flag you as someone who overstayed the 90-day visa-free period that Canadian tourists are entitled to. So when you attempt to exit Schengen on your Canadian passport 90+ days since you last entered, the immigration officer at the airport may ask for explanations. Showing him your UK passport will put an immediate end to the discussion.