Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tips on getting a tourist visa to USA

7 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I'm planning to visit USA (non EU citizen) next February for two weeks as tourist , I filled the D-160 , got an appointment.

planning also to take these docs with me :

1- old and new passport

2- hotel/flight reservations

3- bank statements for last 3 months

4- pay slips from my current employer

5 - picture ( same as D-160 )

do I miss something? also any tips or advice to avoid rejections and delays?

Thanks

You might want to take a copy of your work contract and have your employer write you a letter confirming that you have vacation and when you are expected back at work (at least these are tips given to foreigners applying for a Schengen Visa).

Thanks for the tip I will take it with me, I'm on Blue card so will take a copy with me too ( still 3 years left till my Blue card expires )

You want to take as much proof as you can that you have reasons to return to Germany, and not overstay in the US. So, the job letter would be great. If you have family that will stay back, that would also be good proof. Depending on your nationality, you might also get a multi-year visa, which would make your life a lot easier in future. Make sure you ask about this.

Hi All,

I'm planning to visit USA (non EU citizen) next February for two weeks as tourist , I filled the D-160 , got an appointment.

planning also to take these docs with me :

1- old and new passport

2- hotel/flight reservations

3- bank statements for last 3 months

4- pay slips from my current employer

5 - picture ( same as D-160 )

do I miss something? also any tips or advice to avoid rejections and delays?

Thanks

You might want to take a copy of your work contract and have your employer write you a letter confirming that you have vacation and when you are expected back at work (at least these are tips given to foreigners applying for a Schengen Visa).

Do not take anything but your passport and Aufenthaltstitel. Americans don't require tons of papers, they prefer talking and asking questions, so forget about Schengen requirements. They absolutely know that you need work contract and health insurance to get Aufenthaltstitel, so they do not need anything else.

Questions which you have to be ready to answer:

1. About your job, what exactly do you do and where you work (explain in simple language). For example, scientists are expected to tell the officer about their area of research;

2. Your travel itinerary: what exactly you plan to visit in the US (approximate route);

3. If you have a family in the US (better not!) and if you are traveling alone or with someone.

Do not buy plane tickets before appointment: nobody is going to refund you these in case of refusal/delay, the consulate do not expect you to buy tickets. The same applies to hotels.

Tips to avoid rejection? Honesty is the best policy. The officers are trained to detect lies, so just tell them the truth, that's it.