Flight booking name Vs passport double name

15 posts in this topic

I had to book a flight online with Ryanair and the name on the passport is:

name: AAA BBB

surname: CCC

I made an account on Ryanair but at payment time it replied with a first name error -> unusable account.

So I tried to book it with with fluege.de and the first name became: AAABBB (without space).

So I booked the flight with:

name: AAA

surname: CCC

Could the lack of BBB be a problem at the airport?

My name has this pattern:

First name: AAA

Last name: BBB CCC (no hyphen)

I've booked flights removing the space between my two last name for 25 years and never had a problem. So I do it like this:

First name: AAA

Last name: BBBCCC

@trallallero, it's not double first name, it's called first name and second name :)

For your flight reservation you type your first name (Vorname) and last name (surname, Nachname), AAA CCC.

That's it.

There is famous German guy with name Karl-Theodor Maria Nikolaus Johann Jacob Philipp Franz Joseph Sylvester Freiherr von und zu Guttenberg. How do you think he flies? :)

@trallallero, it's not double first name, it's called first name and second name

For your flight reservation you type your first name (Vorname) and last name (surname, Nachname), AAA CCC.

That's it.

There is famous German guy with name Karl-Theodor Maria Nikolaus Johann Jacob Philipp Franz Joseph Sylvester Freiherr von und zu Guttenberg. How do you think he flies?

On somebody else's name? (it worked - nearly - for his doctoral thesis...)

Ok, thanks all, I was wondering because in Italy, to specify a second name, you have to use the comma: AAA, BBB otherwise it's considered one name.

There is famous German guy with name Karl-Theodor Maria Nikolaus Johann Jacob Philipp Franz Joseph Sylvester Freiherr von und zu Guttenberg. How do you think he flies?

:lol:

Good test case for the Ryanair web site.

And, indeed, it's reasonable.

Once you have reserved a seat, payed the ticket and you have all the valid documents to move to that country, the name used to book is not so important after all.

In few words: stupid question :unsure:

Ok, thanks all, I was wondering because in Italy, to specify a second name, you have to use the comma: AAA, BBB otherwise it's considered one name.

Yahoo! I finally learned something today - thanks!

Personally, I never think to mention my middle name when I book flights, but maybe I should. Anyway, never had a problem so far...

I guess, if you have any doubt about your double name being recognised, you should carry some kind of ID with you which has your complete name on it.

And, indeed, it's reasonable.

Once you have reserved a seat, payed the ticket and you have all the valid documents to move to that country, the name used to book is not so important after all.

In few words: stupid question

Absolutely untrue. If the name on your ticket doesn't match that of your passport, you will be refused to be boarded. These days with online checkin it's easy to get around, but you could still get caught at the gate. It is not a stupid question. Yours is however a stupid answer.

Absolutely untrue. If the name on your ticket doesn't match that of your passport, you will be refused to be boarded. These days with online checkin it's easy to get around, but you could still get caught at the gate. It is not a stupid question. Yours is however a stupid answer.

I know that but what I meant is: the name used to book should not be so important.

What I use online should be my business, I should be able to book even anonymous in my opinion.

Then, at the airport, I show that I've payed, that I have valid documents, and so on...

Airline reservation systems do not recognise space. hyphens etc.

Smith/Robert Arthur Mr...will show Smith/RobertArthur on your ticket, same thing if you have an hyphenated last name, it will run it together. The name that you book should as in your passport...smith/Robert A Mr. or smith/Robert Arthur Mr. in the event there are 50k plus with same name and 1 is on terror watchlist, they don't think it's you and you get the royal treatment, also the same reason it requires for date of birth.

I have a middle name which appears on only one of my passports. I have booked flights with and without the middle name and often use both passports on the same journey (meaning go through security at point of origin with one passport and show the other to security in transit). So far no problems, but it may help that I have a fairly uncommon name.

In my case:

First Name: AAA BBB

Last Name: CCC DDD

And like anyone from a Spanish speaking country, I've used AAA CCC for almost everything everywhere except official documents. Never had a problem.