Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Using a German cellphone in the US

18 posts in this topic

I have a very very basic cellph I bought in Germany. Can I use it in US? I dont wanna have to buy another one there...I am looking into what US subscriber to get a prepaid card from..

Thanks

I have a very very basic cellph I bought in Germany. Can I use it in US? I dont wanna have to buy another one there...I am looking into what US subscriber to get a prepaid card from..Thanks

no

Is that because the phone is not unlocked? I have heard that there are legal websites where u can get free unlock codes for older phones...atleast that#s how it was in North America...is that also the case here?

Depending on the type of phone you have the problem may be that the technology is different (e.g. CDMA vs GSM) or that the frequencies used in Europe are different from those used in the USA or a combination those problems.

Based on the description "very very basic cellph" the best we can do is guess that it is something like a GSM phone with for use on just the European bands (900Mhz/1800MHz). That won't work on US bands (850Mhz/1900Mhz).

If you want a better answer you will need to post the actual specifications of your phone.

"very basic phone" is not information which can answer your question. Post manufacturer and model, please.

Is that because the phone is not unlocked? I have heard that there are legal websites where u can get free unlock codes for older phones...atleast that#s how it was in North America...is that also the case here?

Was it a 1 euro phone which comes with phone contract? If yes, then it is locked (for at least 2 years, then mobile operator should unlock it for you). If you phone was bought without any contract, it's not locked.

The phone is Samsung GT-E1200. I think I bought it for 20 bucks here. It never bought any contract, just a prepaid 20 bucks SIM. That ran out after a month, then I never used that phone.

Ok, it's GSM 900/1800, not locked. PeterN wrote above that in the US frequencies are 850/1900. It will probably not work.

One more question on this: If I travel to UK, will this German phone work there? And if yes, then I guess I better buy a SIM card in UK to use it for UK calls? Currently, the phone has no money left, and I dont intend to use it again in Germany.

Is that because the phone is not unlocked?

No. It's because the US uses different GSM frequencies, which cheap European phones usually don't support.

One more question on this: If I travel to UK, will this German phone work there? And if yes, then I guess I better buy a SIM card in UK to use it for UK calls? Currently, the phone has no money left, and I dont intend to use it again in Germany.

Yes and yes. You can have a pre-paid SIM card delivered to a UK address, e.g., from this company.

For the US, you can order a cheap pre-paid phone like this one.

and if nothing else, $20 in a 7-11 will get you a phone in the US

I have a cheap phone I bought a while back in Germany. The shop put some WIR Mobile card on it, and I just used it without thinking much. That amount was finished a long time ago, and then I never used that phone, since I just started using the phone my office gave me. Now I am returning the office phone, and need to resurrect the old phone back, so I can use it for some calls when travelling in UK.

what are my options? I dont even know the phone number anymore...Can I put a 10€ Lidl card/SIM in it? Or must it be whatever WIR Mobil is...what would be the phone number if I put a Lidl card in it?

Thanks for the help

Can I put a 10€ Lidl card/SIM in it?

Yes

What would be the phone number if I put a Lidl card in it?

The number it says on the Lidl package. If in doubt, just call another phone and see what number is displayed on caller ID.

Thanks lapsus alumni

If I put a Lidl card in it, would the incoming calls and texts while I am physically located in germany be free? Is that the standard in germany - free incoming calls and texts?

If I put a Lidl card in it, would the incoming calls and texts while I am physically located in germany be free?

Incoming calls are free while you are in Germany.

Incoming texts are free wherever you are in the world.

Is that the standard in germany - free incoming calls and texts?

Yes.

Instead of Lidl, you could also consider Lebara. Their website is available in English (unlike Lidl's, which is only available in Germany), they're on the Telekom network, which is the best in Germany, and you can order a SIM card to be mailed to you for free.Link.