Indian restaurants in Hannover

25 posts in this topic

You are spot on! :D

To be honest, and I know it´s dangerous admitting it here, but I´m not such a big curry fan. I can take it or leave it. When we really go out for a meal we go to the little spanish place - Tierra - in the Engelbosteler Damm.

To be honest, and I know it´s dangerous admitting it here, but I´m not such a big curry fan. I can take it or leave it.

Heresy! Blasphemy! Discombobulation!

Er, well, I don't only eat curry...and even then I don't eat all curry, either. ;)

When we really go out for a meal we go to the little spanish place - Tierra - in the Engelbosteler Damm.

Haven't heard of that place before, but then again I'm not up in that part of Hannover very often (I only recently started going to those kiddie reading hours on Saturdays at Escape Books, and before that I was rarely if ever in the neighborhood).

What I miss is good Tex-Mex food. Spanish cuisine is only vaguely similar, and most "Mexican" places I've tried are just somehow...wrong. Fischer's in Linden is pretty close, the closest I've had so far in Germany, but even they have some oddities about the way the food tastes that I can't quite put my finger on...

Cheers.

Fairfax71

It´s just that for a lot of my fellow countrymen don´t seem to be able to live without it. Goes back to the days of the empire I suppose.

"Haven´t had such a hot one since the days of the Raj!" :D That´s not Python, just me, I thought the double-entendre was quite good though!

There was a good Tex-mex in Stuttgart, and we celebrated new year here in the Am-Mex (it´s gone now) a few years ago, next to the Bierbörse. Friends of ours are into South America, my wife was in Peru for half a year. Also the music, which isn´t really my thing - that´s the next thunderbolt from above... :)

I`m not a gourmet though, I eat pretty much anything - except celery! We go mainly round the corner to Was Nun? for a beer and whatever takes our fancy - they do salads, currywurst, baguettes, tapas, pasta. It´s not brilliant, it´s only a pub, but it´s cheap and edible. Kaisers in Schneiderberg we like as well.

I don´t know Fischer´s - have you ever been to the spanish place O Atlantico!, also in Linden?

"Haven´t had such a hot one since the days of the Raj!" That´s not Python, just me, I thought the double-entendre was quite good though!

What? You're not part of Monty Python? I thought all British citizens were!

There was a good Tex-mex in Stuttgart, and we celebrated new year here in the Am-Mex (it´s gone now) a few years ago, next to the Bierbörse. Friends of ours are into South America, my wife was in Peru for half a year. Also the music, which isn´t really my thing - that´s the next thunderbolt from above...

I like the food, not the music. ;-)

There used to be a Tex-Mex in Hildesheim, but they went tits-up a few years ago. Frankly they weren't all that wonderful anyway. *sigh*

My wife tried Café del Sol (there's one in Hildesheim and Garbsen) but was underwhelmed, so I haven't been there.

I`m not a gourmet though, I eat pretty much anything - except celery!

I'm only a "gourmet" in the sense that I'm a bit picky, but I won't get all toffee-nosed and pretend my taste is better than anyone else's. To each their own, I say.

I also have a special diet for health reasons, so it limits what I can eat somewhat; on top of that there is a laundry list of things I just can't stand, such as beans. So I'm the first to admit that I'm a pain to cook for. OTOH I taught myself to cook at a fairly early age (largely for the aforementioned reasons), so my wife doesn't have it too bad. :)

We go mainly round the corner to Was Nun? for a beer and whatever takes our fancy - they do salads, currywurst, baguettes, tapas, pasta. It´s not brilliant, it´s only a pub, but it´s cheap and edible. Kaisers in Schneiderberg we like as well.

The main place in Hannover like that that I would recommend is Mezzo, at the southern end of the Lister Meile in the Pavillion. Great food, cheap, nice relaxed atmosphere.

I don´t know Fischer´s - have you ever been to the spanish place O Atlantico!, also in Linden?

'Fraid not, no. Haven't really tried that many restaurants in Hannover, I'm afraid -- Fischers was a bit of a fluke, actually, as we were invited there by friends years ago and we don't go to Linden very often (we tend to be in Südstadt, downtown and parts east such as Kirchrode or Kleefeld). Fichers is sort of Tex-Mex, but with more of a Caribbean accent to it -- not quite what I'd expect when thinking "Tex-Mex", but not bad, either.

I'll keep O Atlantico in mind, though. What Spanish food I've had (mainly tapas) I've generally liked, so it's something to try. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,

Fairfax71

Mezzo is good, that´s true. They do quite a good Flammkuchen - which, due to the southwest connection we both really like.

I learnt to cook in Germany, I used to throw everything in the pot and hope it would be edible - which it mostly wasn´t. I worked in a couple of places in Stuttgart - I can do a pretty mean Käsespätzle! I also discovered how to season properly. I think I´m probably more often in the kitchen than my wife. A fact which she would probably strongly dispute!

Like I said I´m really not all that fussy, what I do find quite horrible though is that spinach, fried egg, potato combination that a lot of people seem to like here. And Grünkohl - I hated greens as a kid!