Moving to Darmstadt

80 posts in this topic

here a link to the noise level patterns from aircraft departing Frankfurt, always helpful in finding an appropriate area to live.

http://airtraffic.umwelthaus.org/noise_levels/view/59

Kreis Bergstrasse is very well connected to Darmstadt and has ample supermarkets, bakeries, and enough schools within walking or cycling distance. It is a really green area and there a a few lakes dotted about the place. The Rhine is not that far either and there are some great spots for going for bbqs and picnics in the summer. And no noise from the planes either.

We live in Bensheim, which is about 25km south of Darmstadt. My husband works in Darmstadt and we moved here last August from North Yorkshire.

I have to blow the horn for Bensheim - it's a really charming, picture-perfect town, with a very good pedestrianised centre dotted with playgrounds, fountains etc., which is big enough to have C&A, a nice department store etc. and lots of other shops, but small enough to allow children from 7 upwards or so to navigate unsupervised. We live within easy walking distance of the town centre and it's been great to be able to just walk or cycle everywhere.

The train station is on the intercity line to various places and takes you to Darmstadt in 10 minutes.

The Hessische Bergstraße is a wine-growing area, which gives Bensheim a lot of its character. There is so much going on here throughout the year - lots of well-attended festivals, which we all really enjoy. It has a lively and cheerful feel to it.

There are lots of schools here - apparently it's also called the 'town of schools'. All of them can easily be reached by bike or walking if you live in Bensheim itself. There are also lots of different kindergartens, including a forest kindergarten and a Steiner kindergarten.

As to water, Bensheim has a very nice swimming lake and nature reserves with lakes, and there is a stream running through the centre. The Rhine and the Neckar are not far.

If you want a change of scenery you can drive up into the Odenwald, which is pretty magnificient and there is good walking up there.

Wow Bensheim sounds marvellous for our needs. Thanks so much for the detailed write up. Do you know if it's possible to rent a townhouse or similar (a small yard would be nice) within walking distance to the Center? I'll call 20 minutes a nice distance. How is it expense wise? And is Hessen one of the regions where it's BYOK (kitchen)? Also is it supe competitive to find a place like In Cologne? We found it near impossible there as you were always competing with about 30 other applicants.

I think renting somewhere reasonably centrally shouldn't be too hard. We looked into renting initially but then decided to buy instead, friends of ours however are renting a house with a garden that is virtually in the centre. It's a five bed and was on the market for around €1100 pcm (we were going to look at it but it got snapped up by them!).

Looking at immobilienscout24, there are a couple of smaller houses for 925 - 975 in a very nice part of town (those Leimenberg ones), both with gardens. There's a big one in the centre for €1100, also with a garden. I don't think the rental market is terribly competitive here as it's not a big city. Most of the places I looked at when we were still looking at renting stayed on the market for a few more weeks.

Most of the houses I looked at came with a kitchen, one didn't.

Thanks again for all the info. It does sound lovely. Just out of curiosity - what do say 4 bedroom homes ( or 3 bedroom with a usable attic room) in a good area go for to buy? Maybe 130 qm or so. I looked on immobilienscout but since I don't know the area I have no idea if some of the prices that seem to good to be true really are (bad area, way out of town etc). And do homes to buy usually come without kitchen? Because that idea I like - if you're buying g I like to choose my own kitchen, for renting it's a bit much.

With the kitchen I suppose it completely depends on the circumstances of the person moving out and the state of the kitchen. If the kitchen is left in you can always get rid of it, unless it's a brand new kitchen (unlikely!) the fact that it is staying in will make little or no difference to the house price.

FWIW, our house (a renovation project) came with its old and ugly but functioning kitchen. We replaced it with a new one after we'd finished with all the other work.

Looking on immobilienscout, I think you'd be looking at 300k - 500k for a house here, the one with scout ID 71441384 for instance seems to be centrally located and sounds really nice. Once you start looking a bit further out it gets much cheaper.

As to the locations in the adverts, if it says 'Bensheim Schwanheim', or 'Bensheim Schönberg' or (almost) anything like that it'll be in a village. If it says 'Bensheim Auerbach' then it's not too much of a rural location, Auerbach is a separate part of Bensheim and has its own little centre and a train station, but intercity trains don't stop there.

If it's central the advert will generally state that you can walk to the train station and the shops.

EDIT: Just looked at that house on immobilienscout again and it looks tiny. Can only see two bedrooms. Maybe not ideal...

I love Weiterstadt. Another option that is near Darmstadt. ;)

Excellent amenities- Loop5. Media markt etc etc... Kaufland.. Edeka, Lidl, Segmüller...

Plus if you have children, excellent child care. Plus after school clubs until 17.00!

It also has an exit/entrance from the Autobahn which is pretty handy. Especially for work, and travel.

http://weiterstadt.de/begruessung-englisch.php?edit_document=1

Also how far would I be from the closest beach if I were living in Darmstadt?

I go to the Raunheimer Waldsee, between the town of Raunheim and Frankfurt airport. It's an large quarry and it has an artificial beach, a little snack bar, toilets and a nude section. You can swim, water ski and paddleboard. It's under 1/2 hour drive from Darmstadt.

Of course, this is not a "beach-beach" as we are many hundreds of miles from the ocean, but it's as close as it gets and I really love it there. I take my bike on the train to Raunheim and then cycle through the woods to the lake.

I also would like a place that has some greens and is close to parks to go running or bicycling.

Germany is great for cycling. There are lots of cycling paths going through forests and along rivers (in the case of Darmstadt, the Rhein). Parks are not really meant for cycling here.

Do pubs in Germany show NBA games or do the cable or satellite companies offer the NBA League Pass package which allows you to watch every game? If not it's ok and I can get the online internet version of NBA League Pass broadband .

You will need to get a VPN service or similar to watch American TV online here. Search for other threads here that explain how it works.

Hello.

I am moving soon so I need a moving service company or  taxi van. I am only changing the addresses  so i am staying in darmstadt so its only couple of km. I have few suitcases and boxes but no furniture so I think a van would be enough, i definitely dont need a whole moving truck. What would be the best way to do this? I was thinking just a big taxi van but I dont know how to make sure I am getting the whole van, not a car. Since I dont speak german it is not so simple as to just call and ask, taxi services often dont speak english somehow. Taxi definitely seems like cheaper option then actually paying a moving company. what do you think?

16 minutes ago, Lenna said:

What would be the best way to do this? I was thinking just a big taxi van but I dont know how to make sure I am getting the whole van, not a car.

There are firms which specialize in meeting precisely such transport needs. Their trading classification is typically found in telephone directories and the like listed in categories under these headings;

"Last (=load) Taxi"

"Möbel (=furniture) Taxi"

"Transporter (=van) mit Fahrer"

As an example here's an online directory listing with 39 entries for such services in the Darmstatd region (Note that region does include towns and villages within a 50Km radius of Darmstadt city centre)

Last-taxi Darmstadt region

Although they may be more competetive in pricing compared to a regular taxi you should be aware that it is common for them to have a policy of fixed price delivery to kerbside only. so, in case you may need the driver's help to carry items upstairs, it could be less stressful for you to negotiate the cost of any additional time or effort with the the firm when booking or with the driver before starting the journey.

2B

thank you. You have been very helpful. :D last time i had to take a taxi two times so it was kind of annoying, 

Hi all,

I'm moving to Darmstadt in October with my husband and (soon to be) newborn baby. This thread has been useful for getting a sense of the different areas and what the market is like (scarily competitive it seems!).

Unfortunately, we're currently based in the UK and unable to get over in advance to view places. Does anyone have any idea how difficult it might be to organise somewhere to rent via email etc.? Any advice? We've been looking at some of the sites mentioned previously on this thread although alot of the places are looking for people to move in start of September rather than October so maybe we're a bit early.

We're not too picky on the area - my husband will be working at the university but is happy if he can either cycle or take a short train there. I'm guessing it might be easier to find a place somewhere like Bensheim rather than Darmstadt itself.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions please let me know. I think it's going to be a stressful move regardless!

@RoseNeu, does your husband already have good relationships with the people in the research group he is joining? (Assuming he is indeed joining one rather than having an admin/management position.) This was so when my ex-husband and I moved over here to a university city and the flat hunt was very much a joint effort. I spoke very little German, but could understand the adverts and my days off were most people's work days, so I did all the online searching. He spoke German and he called the people from the ads I found. Calling works much better than emailing in this process unless, of course, you are told in the ad that you should initially email the landlord or management company. When it looked promising, we asked someone from the reserach group to view the flat to see if it was genuine and send some photos. We were third or fourth time lucky. Had the contract delivered and returned signed by snail mail. 

@LenkaG Thanks for the reply. My husband does know a few of the people he will be working with so we will definitely ask if any of them would be willing to have a look around any places that look promising. I hadn't thought of that!

Thankfully my husband also speaks German so we will try calling places from the adverts.

Also, do people generally rent direct from landlords or via an agency? And how far in advance to properties get advertised. A lot of the ones we see at the moment are looking for people to move in beginning August or September. Are we a bit early to be looking for October?

Thanks again

If your husband speaks German, it may be worth joining some of the Facebook pages for the various  local communities as there seem to be quite a few places advertised on these. 

5 hours ago, RoseNeu said:

Also, do people generally rent direct from landlords or via an agency? And how far in advance to properties get advertised. A lot of the ones we see at the moment are looking for people to move in beginning August or September. Are we a bit early to be looking for October?

In regard to the first question you should be aware that whoever engages the services of an agency (Makler) is obligated to pay their fee of 2.38 (incl VAT) times the nett monthly rent (Kaltemiete). For this fat fee, as a tenant, you can expect virtually zero service and absolutely no ongoing assistance with any aspect of your tenancy.

Until a change in law last year that bill was always the tenant's responsibility regardless of whether the landlord had offered the property through them or the tenant had engaged the agency to find a property. Since it now follows the near universal German legal principle that says 'whoever orders (a good or service) pays', more private landlords may be likely to advertise their properties directly.

In short, people do both and, unless they are supported by a generous moving package or rich parents, most prospective tenants would prefer to rent direct. When searching most popular sites like Immobilien Scout24 | Real estate and Homes search the use of the filter word Provisionsfrei should eliminate offers which require payment of agency commission fees.

Standard legal periods of notice are three full calendar months (literally to the end of the second month following the month in which notice is served no later than the 3rd work day) so, Saturday being a work day, people whose notice is received on Tuesday July 4th will be expected to vacate on or by 30 Sept 2017. Therefore you may notice a change in availability dates advertized by next weekend. You can never be too early to look for semester-oriented accommodation in a university city.

Good luck, and enjoy your stay in Germany.

2B

Joining the local Mieterverein is a good idea. They can advise on rental contracts and help with landlord issues.

Be careful of 3-4 year lease. Landlord may hold you to this. Best to get a 1 year and renew.

expect you have already checked the UK gov. Website on Moving to Germany. That gives good info on issues such as Health insurance, registration / Anmeldung etc. ( Do please read  health insurance posts- especially as you have a baby on the way)

Also- TT search function throws up lots of posts and threads.

Good luck!

@RoseNeu, is your husband going to work at the Technical University or at the Hochschule? If it's the TU, the housing department can help you as well (ENG, DE) if you fill out their form.  

I don't know what your plan is since you'll have a baby soon, but just for your information, you should also be able to benefit from what the Dual Career Service has to offer (ENG, DE). Ours organised my place on the DSH course so I could learn German quickly, though that would not be appropriate for you right now. 

Thank you all for the help and advice. It has been really useful. In the end the housing service of the University has offered us one of their apartments which comes fully furnished so for the sake of convenience I think we will take this. We can always then look for somewhere else when we're in Germany and a bit more settled!