Moving to Darmstadt

80 posts in this topic

Ok but do you actually pay the hot rent all year around or just in the winter?

So you're basically expected to pay 5 months cold rent up front :-O

You always have the right to pay the deposit in 3 installments, so you'd only need to pay 3.38 times the cold rent upfront. That is if you go through a realtor and he actually charges the legal maximum of 2 months cold rent plus VAT. That's normally how it works, but you may find a landlord who uses a realtor that charges a lower fee or doesn't use one at all.

Yes, you pay the cold rent all year round. The difference between cold and warm rent is that the warm rent includes the Nebenkosten (water, heat, garbage collection, property taxes, elevator maintenance, yadda yadda). The cold rent is what you pay just to rent the rooms and nothing else. How much you pay for water/heat each month is based on the previous tenant's consumption and the meters are read once a year, so if you use more or less than predicted, you'll get a bill or some of your money back.

Normally a realtor will ask you to fill out an application (contact information, jobs, income, pets) which the landlord will review and they'll let you know after 1-3 days whether you can move in or not.

Thanks chucha found it. oh and a totally random question but is the lake beside the hostel for swimming in in the summer?

Absolutely, assuming it's warm enough. In fact, the Woog is a public baths, a Freibad (so you pay to get in). Plenty of other free lakes in the area a few km out of town. There's a imho much better open lake (FKK) location about 5km out of town.

I cycled round this area today and it looks absolutely great in the first (snow-free) spring sun :) . However, there is a wide range in the "quality" of the builds of places and their immediate environs. Some look wonderful and well-located, others look tatty and drab and dumped in concrete surroundings in the typical late 50s / early 60s commodity-build style (some of the stuff round the Ostbahnhof, say).

HI thanks for all the advice guys we're here a week now and I love it. Germans are so polite and Darmstadt is very cute, great quality food too and so cheap.

We were staying in the Jugendherberge which was only OK and not cheap at all but now we're staying in Haus Martin on Loffel Strasse which is only €36 a night for the two of us and the room has a fridge, TV, microwave, kettle and wifi included in the price. I'd defo recommend it to anyone who is visiting Darmstadt or looking for a place to stay until they find an apartment. The owner speaks good English too.

Details:

ph: 01 72/9 89 16 97

Email: hausmartin-da@web.de

Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant in Darmstadt? I saw a tapas place on Landgraf Georg Str thta was packed on a Tuesday night so presumably that is nice? Otherwise we've had some horrible meals here apart from a good lunch in the Ratskeller? I'd prefer something that wasn't italian as i hate pasta. Cheers.

Cubana - Cuban food, nice cocktails. Huge place!

Enchiladas - Mexican, need to reserve for weekends

Shalimar - Indian, lovely food, great service, bit small inside so reserve for weekends

Corroboree (known locally as the Aussie Bar) - great burgers and cocktails, can get super busy

Ban Thai - Gorgeous Thai food!

Sitte - traditional German food, delicious! Book!

:D

(known locally as the Aussie Bar) - great burgers and cocktails, can get super busy

Ah yes, sent the OP a PM with a long list but forgot that one. If cocktails are your thing, the trick is apparently to stagger them across the 2 for 1 or Happy Hours in diferent places on different evenings. There are also loads of specific ones I just can't remember - an Austrian, some Greeks, Chinese, Portuguese etc etc.

As I said in that PM, no shortage of good places. Eating out is big here. The risk is only too many choices, you can easily get into eating out all the time, a lot of people do!

I hate to recommend this one as we love going there and I'd hate for it to be too packed!

http://www.baobab-erlebnisbar.de/

Baobab - great African food with a wonderful mixed platter where every dish really has its own unique taste. Very friendly service. Eat with your fingers. Book ahead if you want the floor seating.

Another good place down the road in Griesheim is the Piazza - http://www.piazza-griesheim.de/ - does good brugers and very good stone-oven pizzas (pizza fueur is wonderful!)

Also in Griesheim, Thai Orchid does an Oriental buffet and grill. not as extensive as the Mongolian in Darmstadt, but not as packed either, and the food seems (to me at least) to be tastier.

Well hello everybody,

I'll break the ice with my first post here and bump this old thread :rolleyes:

I'm moving to Darmstadt from Amsterdam as soon as I can find an apartment, but it is a difficult process.

Can anyone give me a helping hand to locate a place for myself?

Myself and my girlfriend (in Darmstadt) are busy with the usual websites and bauvereinag.de but there is huge competition and a first come first serve basis on a lot of places.

I just thought I'd ask here because you all seem a helpful bunch.

I honestly can't wait to move and get to know some of the locals.

Thanks in advance, regardless of how much help I receive..

I imagine you may hear from me a lot more as things move forwards B)

Your girlfriend in Darmstadt is your best bet. She needs to use her contacts because a lot of stuff never hits the market, no need for it, it gts handed on via contacts. Co-workers, mates etc. Tell everyone you are looking.

Bauverein has worked for quite a few people I know over the years, although, as you say, it may be harder now. That all seems fairly random - depends whether people in their myriad places are moving on or not - and also on what your needs are (two room places are easier to come by I think, everyone wants at least three). There is always movement in their bigger places (Waldspiral etc). Certainly no harm getting on their list.

There's also a lot of estate agents suddenly sprung up over town - sure sign of a boom - and so it is worth making contact with them perhaps?

Thanks for the fast response.

I will be back in Darmstadt on Friday so I will do my best to motivate things (and my girlfriend).

I think the advice about smaller places is fairly wise. Possibly it's better to start small and get 'a foot in the door' in Darmstadt and keep looking for better.

Hmm Waldspirale, I've heard the apartments are cool, but difficult to furnish due to the 'strange' walls. It could be fun.

Thanks for your time..

..and anyone else that wants to help a hardworking guy find a place to lay his hat, please feel free to comment.

Be usefulif you posted up some requirements - locations, maximum rent. number of bedrooms needed, that sort of thing, so we know what to look out for

Good point 'clickety6'..

Sorry for the slow response, 'swimmer' was right about my girl in Darmstadt being the best bet.

She's been working tirelessly and much more than I could ever have expected, searching and applying for places, bless her.

There really is lot of competition, and it pays to be friendly.

I have priority on 2 apartments as of tonight with another 4 viewings in the next 4 days.. phew.. but still there are no gaurantees so we keep our options open.

As for specs, I'm easy to please.

Studio, 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, anything around and above the 40m size is being considered.

Prices up to 700 warm.

I will be dropping in daily and hopefully contributing more to the forum, but these are busy days.

Thanks for showing an interest, all help is gratefully received.. :)

Oh and thanks also to 'acmark' for mentioning http://www.wg-gesucht.de/ in another thread, it is a lot better site than I first gave it credit for.

hope this thread isn't dead...

my wife, 2 year old son and i are moving to DA from chicago for a year (sept '11 to aug '12) -- we have a good sense of the apartment market (cutthroat!) but haven't been able to find a good map (or a verbal description) of where the various neighborhoods are located with respect to one another and what their individual styles/feels are -- any help? -- cheers -- george.

Hi George,

I hope this message doesn't come too late. Google maps may be of great help identifying the location of various neighborhoods. As for the public transportation connections, I'd highly recommend the Rhein-Main-Verkehrsverbund web site. It offers an English option as well - even though not that detailed as the German version.

To describe each and every area, that may be a bit difficult - and, of course, subject of each one's preference. I'd rather suggest you make up your mind for a couple of choices and then ask for details. If I'd have to sum-up the city and surroundings, I'd say North and East of Darmstadt is usually flat, while South and West is mostly hills. But, again, this is a very rough description - you may want to go into further details from village to village. The more you go towards Odenwald area (south of Mühltal), the more isolated you are, but the better the scenery is... It's just a question of what you're looking for. With a 2 yr. one, I'd suggest you should look for a place closer to city (or at least to a kindergarten). Also, depends a lot on your commuting habits. If you're ready to drive or you're relying on public transportation (Odenwald would definitely not be your choice if this is the case). If you're looking into socializing evenings (going out, theater etc. - again, no Odenwald) or rather relax at home, having a nice evening with the family etc.

There's a lot of diversity in the Rhein-Main Gebiet, you just need first to decide what you're looking for. And then - hopefully - there will be an option for it.

I have a 2 year old and we live in Bessungen/Paulusviertel which is really lovely for families, and not too far from town (10 min walk). There's plenty of parks around here and good kindergartens for when my one starts next summer.

Hi, I am resurrecting this thread, hope that's okay instead of creating a new one.

We are considering (early stages) a move to Darmstadt from San Diego. We know we'll miss the weather and beaches (to the previous poster from San D, I get ya!), but we only moved back here 2 years ago from Koeln, and we equally miss the European lifestyle.

Our situation has changed from when we last lived in Germany - we now have 3 children under the age of 1. So we were wondering about tips for moving to the area for the best family living. We would prefer a house with a small garden if possible. We want to be close to public transportation and be able to walk to the bakery and grocer if possible, and use our car as minimally as possible. In Cologne, we lived downtown and barely used the car. So we'd like to continue with the minimal car use, but I don't foresee us living downtown with the kids.

The kids would go to the local German schools, we have no interest in sending them to the international school, so that doesn't factor in. As a kid I lived in Heidelberg and loved it, so we would even consider living there and having my husband commute to Darmstadt (google says its 30 minutes on the IC). Does anyone do that? But equally I'd like to consider either Darmstadt itself or the surrounding villages. The main things are family friendly while not sacrificing public transport or walkability for errands. Although, if any of the villages have a river that would factor in too, I have this need for water in my life and Darmstadt is the only large German city with neither a river nor large lake. We'll only have one salary the first few years as I would stay home with the kids, so affordability would factor in as well.

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

I can't answer any family questions, I'm single with a grown daughter. as far as Darmstadt goes, the Rhein is just to the west. of course, public transport thins out the farther you get from DA. and directly south of the airport out to about Pfungstadt you can hear the departing aircraft.

Although, if any of the villages have a river that would factor in too, I have this need for water in my life and Darmstadt is the only large German city with neither a river nor large lake. We'll only have one salary the first few years as I would stay home with the kids, so affordability would factor in as well.

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Maybe not large, but Darmstadt does have some lakes:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gro%C3%9Fer_Woog

http://www.muehlchen.de/

http://badeseen.hlug.de/badegewaesser/darmstadt/grube-prinz-von-hessen.html

and a bit further out you've got Bickenbach or Pfungstädter Moor, oh and Darmstadt does have a river of sorts :-) http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darmbach