Moving to Darmstadt

80 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

just wanted to say thank you all for the very interesting posts, I've just spent the last half hour reading all of them very carefully. :-)

I'll be moving from Italy to Darmstadt with my boyfriend mid June because of his job. We've been there on a short 3 days trip last month and the town looked beautiful and sunny. My boyfriend’s company found us an accommodation in Pfungstdat, what do you think about it? Is it a nice / quite area?

I'm currently looking for a job in the Darmstadt / Frankfurt area, I'm using monster, jobrapido.de; meinestadt.de - Any other suggestions?

I'm Italian, with very good English (I've worked three years in the UK) and intermediate German (I need a bit of practice) and my expertise is mainly in marketing. I really hope to find something quite soon, wish me good luck!!

My boyfriend’s company found us an accommodation in Pfungstdat, what do you think about it? Is it a nice / quite area?

Most of this area is nice enough. But, first things first, Pfungstadt is not in Darmstadt. It's a separate town to the south east of Darmstadt. I don't think it's got many great enticing features or wonderful public transport links to the centre of Darmstadt, let alone Frankfurt (ie. it's more of a gateway to the surrounding area and south, mainly via motorway - Seeheim and even further south). So you might want to see the thread: "Life in the town of Pfungstadt" or Pfungstadt's web-site.

No particular reason for young professionals to live there imho unless it is a good choice for your money (ie. it's cheaper than a lot of other parts of the area) or is on your work doorstep etc. There are better, though more expensive, options. This thread is called "advice" and my personal advice would be live in Darmstadt.

Good old-fashioned newspapers are probably your best source of job ideas (eg. FAZ, F Rundschau, Darmstädter Echo). You can also place a "situation wanted" ad.

Hey everyone,

I arrived in Darmstadt last week and have been looking for a suitable apartment. The eastern ring within a couple of kilometers looks nice. One thing that's important to me is to be able to practice basketball at a nearby court - but where are they? I'm only found one so far, in the sports area North-East of the city.

Also, I'm looking to buy a used bike. Does anyone have experience with this in the Darmstadt area? I only need something modest that works but wouldn't be stolen. Would I need to go to Frankfurt to get a good deal?

Thanks!

Some public parks for basketball courts but it's not a big sport here and you'll probably be sharing courts with children (if they let you, my local court is only for up to 18). Sport is often quite organised here and so your best starting point may be one of the clubs (Verein).

Damstadt is an advanced and prosperous western town (not an undeveloped / dependent satellite of Frankfurt). Thus you can buy pretty much anything you want, obviously including bikes, new or used. A lot of us have "experience" in purchasing (at least) one used bike. There are many bike stores that sometimes have used ones - google.de is a good place to start looking for them. There's a bike flea market (I think) every first Saturday of the month at Citibike. Our you can use Spermull and other such magazines / websites. Another option is supermarkets (like Real) and department stores (Karstadt) who have an enormous range of new ones. Homeware stokes (like Praktika) periodically offer the cheap but quite robust self-assemble ones.

No guarantees it'd not be stolen though - the rate of that's high here. Invest in a good lock.

Things for your helpful reply swimmer. Gives me something to think about, especially with the bikes. My supervisor (also new to the area) just lent me his bicycle, until I find a good offer on one. I used it to ride in from Reinheim and was taken aback at how beautiful the woods were surrounding the bike track.

Where is the bball court located that you mentioned? Hopefully not the one in the sports area north of Vogelsbergstrasse - it's the only one I've seen!

The court is in failry central (Bessungen) but, as I said, it's a kids one, big notice outside, kid's space, no under 18s, so no point saying where. Organised sport is often how it works here. Google and you'll find the clubs easily enough. Good luck.

Hi everyone! Good forum so thank you - I'm considering moving from Stuttgart to the Darmstadt area and will plan a trip next weekend to see some of the area. I will be working in the southwest portion of Darmstadt and like both the Heidelberg and Frankfurt areas. I would be interested in 150-200 square meters living space, with an American kitchen and something close to shopping, train, airport, good food and some night life. What is the traffic like during commuting hours in the Darmstadt area? Is it hard to get in from the north or south? Any areas you think really stand out for a single 30 something professional to live before I begin my search?

Thanks in advance!

Rob

From what I understand, the getting into Darmstadt by car can be pretty grim from the east. It kinds of depends on what your journey involves though. Coming fromGreisheim to the west is easy or south (say Bensheim) OK too if your work is actually on the west or south side of the city - different story if you need to cross. City centre traffic and (lack of) parking is a big bug bear too. Trains from FAM seem to be heaving in the morning.

Personally, I see no need to live in Heidelberg or Frankfurt. Darmstadt's not immediately as attractive but it actually has a great deal to offer and is a good "base" for going further afield. Trust me, it took me a while but I was converted on this one. I've got a high quality of life here and wouldn't live anywhere else now :lol: . My advice to any "unattached professional with resources" is - always - go for the centre. No reason not to. However, expect tough competition because most of the other young professionals with resources have exactly the same idea!

Dear all,

I am relocating in Arheilgen. Can anyone suggest a convenient electricity supplier?

Many thanks in advance!

Valuvataivas

I'm moving to Darmstadt in two weeks and have inititally booked to stay in the hostel while I look for an apartment. I'm on the two rental websites immobilienscout24 and wg-gesucht.de so I have seen a few possible places. I'm just wondering how exactly one gets sorted with an apartment. In ireland you just turn up with the cash and they give you the keys but i've heard it's a little more complex in germany like i'd need two months rent as deposit. So how long does it take from seeing an apartment to actually being able to move in? There don't seem to be too many apartments in darmstadt so i'd likely see all of them in a week.

Also do many landlords speak English, our perception is all germans have great english but that might be a bit exagerrated?

Another question i've noticed estate agents say the commisssion is 1.91 of rent so is that actually almost two months rent like could it be €1000 or is it 1.91%??

We found our apartment on a noticeboard in ESOC, that way it was a private deal with no rip off commission! Have you tried looking in the paper? There are loads in there. We turned up to view our place, liked it and shook his hand then and there. The next day we signed the papers, and as soon as he had our deposit (3 months up front which included first months rent) and references (incl payslips/letter from employer to prove we could pay every month) we were in.

Our landlord speaks great English, but I wouldn't assume they all do just in case. Do you know someone in Darmstadt that could go with you and translate if you need to? I'd offer but my German is very basic at best!

There don't seem to be too many apartments in darmstadt so i'd likely see all of them in a week.

You can say that again. Apart from the teeny-weeny places for students, competition is fierce as the place is full of well-paid professionals all wanting decent places. It seems to be getting worse, if anything. A lot of long-established, well-off Germans have real trouble and are being pushed out into the burbs.

However, Zizy's example (no problem) shows it can be done. That also seems to be a trend here - word of mouth - people "hand on" their rented places to whoever they know is moving in from their company or needs somewhere (ie. a lot of the "prime" stuff never goes anywhere near the EA's or websites, because people pounce). If you have any sort of relocation agent, or contacts through your company / employer, then, absolutely, use them. Don't be frightened to ask future colleagues etc. If you have German family here, get them to place an ad and negotiate for you (that's what I did and it worked).

Whilst Zizy is right that there are loads of offers in the paper, not all are Darmstadt itself (you are into the neighbouring towns). A lot are completely other towns some km away. To widen your range, then it's other local places not "officially" in DA, like Pfungstadt, too.

If you want to say more about budget and aims, then maybe we can say more?

I'm not sure how much you want to pay, but the first search on Immowelt shows this apartment in Seeheim-Jugendheim for Euro 650, which has a direct tram link to Darmstadt and is about 20 mins by car if I remember correctly.

http://www.immowelt.de/Immobilien/ImmoDetail.aspx?ID=17019597&BC=2

Our budget is under €850 a month including all the charges and we definitely want to be in DArmstadt city not hte suburbs we don't care about size really but we definitely want a fitted kitchen and preferably two bedrooms. We're not actually there yet we arrive on March 1st but i'll buy a paper that day. We have virtually no german but hopefully my husbands colleagues can sort us out. We're staying in the hostel initially but I really want to be in our apt as soon as possible to get settled.

This place: http://www.immowelt.de/Immobilien/ImmoDetail.aspx?ID=16810992 looks ideal but i'm not sure what they mean by temporary.

That apartment looks great. I think what they mean by "Zeitmietvertrag" is that you will be on a kind of probation period before they decide they like you and sign a rental agreement for a longer period.

Right, that's the thing to check, could be why it seems cheap (600 Eur does not buy a lot here and often not 80 sqm in a "good" area, according to the link he "average" is 9,4 Eur per sq m). In some ways a limit might not be bad in that it given you time to settle and check other places. The other thing it seems quite emphatic about is that it's one bed (it's "two living rooms").

The other thing in that slightly east part of town (not quite "city") is lesser transport links with centre and the rail station etc across the other side of town. (I looked at buying in this area but decided against for that reason but I've gone a bit native there - why put up with a 10 minute walk / bike ride to the centre if you don't have to?).

You can see the newspaper on-line (Darmstädter Echo - property etc is advertised on a site called something like click-rheinmain.de, googling should fin it, no need to wait for the physical paper version).

OK great thanks. We're looking for somewhere near the Technical University as that's where my husband will be working. So that'd be a priority rather than transport links etc.

I've done a few google searches on that website swimmer and I can't find it? I can find the newspaper website but not the rental ads.

Apart from the teeny-weeny places for students, competition is fierce as the place is full of well-paid professionals all wanting decent places. It seems to be getting worse, if anything. A lot of long-established, well-off Germans have real trouble and are being pushed out into the burbs.

That's what I found as well, when looking for an apartment last year. When you have specific criteria (I wanted to be within 15-minute walking distance from the train station), there are very few decent offers coming up. When you first look in the Echo, it seems like there are plenty of places available, but after you weed out all pfungstadt/eberstadt/weiterstadt, 30sq meters studios and >1500Euro penthouses, there isn't much left. And many ads repeat from week to week, so there are even less new ones.

I can find the newspaper website but not the rental ads

Go to marktplatz, then to immobilien, there will be a search form. Technical University is right in the center of Darmstadt. It's not easy to find a place in that area, but it's worth the trouble (and the slightly higher prices).

Good luck with your search!

Thanks chucha found it. oh and a totally random question but is the lake beside the hostel for swimming in in the summer? Like is there somewhere to sunbathe swim in the good weather? coming from ireland i'm quite excited by the prospect of more than a few days of sun a year!

I'm moving to Darmstadt in two weeks and have inititally booked to stay in the hostel while I look for an apartment. I'm on the two rental websites immobilienscout24 and wg-gesucht.de so I have seen a few possible places. I'm just wondering how exactly one gets sorted with an apartment. In ireland you just turn up with the cash and they give you the keys but i've heard it's a little more complex in germany like i'd need two months rent as deposit. So how long does it take from seeing an apartment to actually being able to move in? There don't seem to be too many apartments in darmstadt so i'd likely see all of them in a week.

Also do many landlords speak English, our perception is all germans have great english but that might be a bit exagerrated?

Another question i've noticed estate agents say the commisssion is 1.91 of rent so is that actually almost two months rent like could it be €1000 or is it 1.91%??

The deposit is usually three months (cold) rent, realtors typically charge two months rent (plus VAT, so 2.38 X cold rent). YMMV.