Can I use my US T-Mobile cellphone in Germany?

15 posts in this topic

Hello! This my first post, so pardon my newbness.

I'm moving to Germany in a few months, and I recently got the new iPhone 6 Plus. I'm with the US T-mobile company, and they work with a simcard. I was wondering if I came to Germany can I get a cellphone contract under my current phone? Or do I need to buy a whole new phone..? Cause I'm not about that life. LOL. I don't want to loose my baby :angry:

can I get a cellphone contract under my current phone? Or do I need to buy a whole new phone..?

How long will you be in Germany? Phone contracts here run for a minimum of 2 years. Anything less than that and its

faster/easier/cheaper to just get a cheap temp. phone.. One of the problems with iPhone 6, is that while they have

SIM cards, the SIM card is not a normal Plastic SIM card, it is part of the logic board and can not be removed. And as far

as I know you can not insert/use a normal SIM. Thus your available carrier options here will be very limited. You will not

be able to use prepaid contracts, or any of the smaller carriers that can't reprogram the iphone SIM chip.

After all that, the Cell frequencies used in the US and the rest of the world are different. While you may be able

to make/receive calls on your iphone here, you most likly will be stuck with slow data service.

Bottom line, to many pitfalls, leave your iphone in the US, and get a cheap temp phone here.

PS: Even thought T-Mobile are also in Germany, your phone has a US plan and you will be paying International

roaming fees if you use it here without getting the SIM chip updated to a German contract. T-Mobile US/Germany

are 2 completely separate companies, and do not share users data/contracts.

If your phone uses a sim you should be fine. You'll need to get a new sim when you arrive but that's it as far as I know.

disclaimer: I have no idea which GSM frequency bands an IPhone can use. Normally it's a no brainer as many manufacturers are offering quad band phones to support roaming all over the world, but if anyone were to come up with a tricky scheme In this area, it would very possibly be apple ;)

One of the problems with iPhone 6, is that while they have

SIM cards, the SIM card is not a normal Plastic SIM card, it is part of the logic board and can not be removed. And as far

as I know you can not insert/use a normal SIM. Thus your available carrier options here will be very limited. You will not

be able to use prepaid contracts, or any of the smaller carriers that can't reprogram the iphone SIM chip.

Damn - is that really true? I remember back when iphone was married to at&t, they used GSM but somehow eliminated the sim card...but I had thought they updated their phones to use normal sim cards a few years back.

Why am I not surprised? fucking Apple. GAH!

Smells like more DK Apple-bashing bullshit. According to T-Mobile USA's website, both the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus take a standard nano SIM.

@OP: Bring your phone, buy a PAYG or 1&1 contract (which you can cancel monthly), pop in the SIM card, and you're good to go. Ignore Darkknight - Apple made him impotent or something.

@SpiderPig: DK doesn't think, it makes his brain hurt.

ok maybe this sheds some light on the situation. For the sim card at least, it appears you are in the clear.

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-15851

eta: oops - hot topic, eh?

One, two, three links, found by three different people in three minutes, proving DK is WRONG AGAIN!

post-47703-14146537387132.jpg

Ah ah ah!!!

How long will you be in Germany? Phone contracts here run for a minimum of 2 years. Anything less than that and its

faster/easier/cheaper to just get a cheap temp. phone.. One of the problems with iPhone 6, is that while they have

After all that, the Cell frequencies used in the US and the rest of the world are different. While you may be able

to make/receive calls on your iphone here, you most likly will be stuck with slow data service.

Bottom line, to many pitfalls, leave your iphone in the US, and get a cheap temp phone here.

PS: Even thought T-Mobile are also in Germany, your phone has a US plan and you will be paying International

roaming fees if you use it here without getting the SIM chip updated to a German contract. T-Mobile US/Germany

are 2 completely separate companies, and do not share users data/contracts.

I'm actually moving to germany for 6 years (university). I'm fairly certain that the iphone simcard is the same as any regular simcard just without the excess trimmings. I've gotten even better 3G/4G in Germany than in the in the U.S.

If you bring your own phone, you can get contracts here for €14.99/month that include unlimited phone calls into all German networks (mobile and fixed), unlimited texting, and 1 GB of fast Internet per month (throttled to 64 kb/sec once your fast volume is exhausted). You can get more data if you pay more.

As long as your phone is unlocked, which you say it is, it won't be a problem for you to sign a contract - either month-to-month or on a standard 1-year or 2-year plan - and put the SIM card they send you in your phone.

If you have an unlocked phone, I don't actually see a reason to even sign a contract -- just go with one of the many prepaid / pay-as-you-go services. Maybe someone else could chime in as to the advantage of going on-contract, if they're not subsidizing your phone.

It all depends on usage

If you want to use it a lot, get a monthly contract

if you think you will hardly use it get a pay as you go.

A lot of the pay as you provides offer option to go all-you-can eat for a month.

I bought my iphone5 in the US (from Apple, unlocked), used T-Mobile while I was there, then moved here. I'm currently using Vodafone with no issues. Just walked into a Vodafone location, signed up for a 2 year contract, plugged in a new nano SIM card, and was good to go. You'll be fine.