Paying for meals on a Condor flight

62 posts in this topic

It seems that most domestic flights have food and drinks, but charge passengers. So, bring some sandwiches , snacks on board with you, especially if any diabetics travelling.

International carriers still provide free meals. If any special requests- vegetarian, diabetic, kosher, vegan,etc, these can be ordered on airline website. But, remember to order well in advance. If a member of a programme, just edit your profile so your dietary needs are listed.

Point well made that those of us in steerage get lousy food. So, bring food anyway.

I once had low sugar on a flight from England despite having eaten just before getting on the plane. The flight attendant gave me two small cans of coke and a couple of sandwhiches for free.

Last flew with condor to cyprus aaages ago. I remember even then people warned me bring your own food because its traditional german coldcuts, pates and bread and not much else. I didnt mind that so much as having to change flights in MUC for the return flight to CGN.

I think a lot of the problem is that it's not consisent and you don't know in advance unless you painstakingly check the specific airline shorly before your flight. Some airlines go back and forth on their policies - I've been on LH flights of the same length where sometimes you get only a drink, sometimes there's a tiny bag of pretzels, and sometimes there's a decent-sized sandwich/wrap..

Was just reading "Clever reisen" where it was mentioned that currently some of the "cheaper" airlines are bringing back features such as free luggage/seat assignments, probably because they've found that they really piss off their passengers by springing that on them and have decided it's better to hide the cost in the ticket price.

The airlines try out various different concepts, and as coolness-p points out, flying has become a lot cheaper than it used to be...and the airlines are looking for ways to look competitive on the comparison websites, and one way seems to be to surprise customers with the extra charges after they purchase their tickets! Doesn't exactly lead to repeat business..

I mean, just look at this stuff -- totally disgusting. I really will take my own.

Flying to Guyana via Tobago! The airport is just next to the beach so I will take an hour or two relaxing under palms.

http://www.condor.com/de/fileadmin/dam/pdf/tcf-de/03_Fluginfos/04_An_Bord/Premium_Menue/Condor_Menuekarten_Premiummenue.pdf

Tobago's airport is cute. I went there from Caracas (via Port of Spain) some years ago. There was a TUI (?) plane sitting on the tarmac which had come from Düsseldorf and seemed to dwarf the airport building.

As to the food, to call it haute cuisine is obviously laughable, but I've seen worse. I do see why it doesn't appeal to vegetarians, though.

If you don't like what they serve on the plane, or don't want to pay extra for it, then bring your own food.

How hard is it to understand. So quiet your bitching.

Was just reading "Clever reisen" where it was mentioned that currently some of the "cheaper" airlines are bringing back features such as free luggage/seat assignments, probably because they've found that they really piss off their passengers by springing that on them and have decided it's better to hide the cost in the ticket price.

As of April 2014 LH started charging for seat reservations on their long-haul flights. Fell foul of that for an upcoming business trip to Portland (US) for which the company books the cheapest possible ticket (I bet they'll book "Economy Minus" when it becomes available on some airlines).

Anyhow I presudaded my manager to approve seat reservations for the long-haul & then the fun started getting such reservations as the flight had been booked via coimpany travel agency & not LH directly. Sorted it in the end - for this trip.

No one ever heard of you get what you pay for?

If you go budget be it travel,electric goods etc then you're not going to get the best quality,service etc etc.

You want a free meal then book on an airline that gives them which no doubt also charges more for the tickets.

People fly budget to save money end of.

Paying more for a 'full service' airline also does not guarantee edible food. I virtually always decline any food offerings on flights of < 4 hours. Lufthansa used to do a nice roll/sandwich year ago even on 1 hour flights and I used to take that, but not for a LONG time.

Even flying business class long haul you often get very average food too often. It might look much nicer, but it doesn't taste as good as it looks. When flying to/from the US last year I was amazed how bad some of the food was (business class). In fact the bread was wo bad I took one bite and spat it out! And I left half of the meal.

Krieg DOES make a very good point, doesn´t he? Some of us are very spoilt and unrealistic.

Of course I want to eat wonderfully on a plane, too, but a short flight? Not so important. Why not just pay over the odds prices at the airport before take off for a coffee and sandwich? :)

I can remember flying Olympic Airlines in the 1990s to Thessaloniki with fellow students. We could drink as much (alcohol) as we wanted which was odd at the time. Later, they went bankrupt , but I still have fond memories.

You can fly to the other side of the planet for 600 EUR but people still complain because they do not get gourmet food and drinks in the plane. You can fly 1000 km (i.e. Berlin-Paris) for 40 EUR and people complain because they do not get free food and drinks. When I fly Paris I pay more for the taxi ride to the airport than what I pay for the fly. Do I complain because the taxi driver did not give me a gourmet meal for free?

Sometimes people are either spoiled or they have unrealistic expectations.

I don't want to eat gourmet or get a first class service on an economy flight; I am realistic and just want something edible. Condor imo is not a chattel-class airline; I used to fly it regularly when it was Lufthansa, and it was Lufthansa-standard (and at the time of my "complaint" I thought it was still Lufthansa -- which would really have been shoddy! In long-haul flights a warm meal is actually part of the service -- I wouldn't expect it in an inner-European flight. I'm just flummoxed that there is no selection, no veggie option. In all my (about 40) years of long-haul flying this is the first time I've encountered this.

Tobago's airport is cute. I went there from Caracas (via Port of Spain) some years ago. There was a TUI (?) plane sitting on the tarmac which had come from Düsseldorf and seemed to dwarf the airport building.

Very cute; you can literally walk off the beach and onto your plane (well -- not quite! But lots of people in swimsuits and flipflops walking around.)

Once while waiting at Port of Spain for a flight a guy ran across the tarmac and leapt into one of the running jet engines, where he was reduced to mincemeat.

No one ever heard of you get what you pay for?

If you go budget be it travel,electric goods etc then you're not going to get the best quality,service etc etc.

You want a free meal then book on an airline that gives them which no doubt also charges more for the tickets.

People fly budget to save money end of.

How is Condor going to know that their food is so horrible if nobody complains?

ven flying business class long haul you often get very average food too often. It might look much nicer, but it doesn't taste as good as it looks. When flying to/from the US last year I was amazed how bad some of the food was (business class). In fact the bread was wo bad I took one bite and spat it out! And I left half of the meal.

My wife & I recently flew Businesss Class with LH to Seattle & back from SFO (plundered my LH Miles account). The food was excellent & well presented (we took fish on both long-haul flights). Next trip is for work so I'm sat in Cattle Class "Chicken or Pasta"...

How is Condor going to know that their food is so horrible if nobody complains?

This is so very true - in all walks of life. Within our company I often experince that people complain to anyone & everyone EXCEPT the correct person / channel (even though this is described in the documents etc. that they complain about.

I reckon that for every 100 people who want to complain, 10 might tell you if they meet you in the corridor & just one might write an e-mail which may or may not be helpful in finding out what the problem actually is.

The best plane food I ever had was on Olympic Airways even on the first stretch from Munich to Athens (with overnight stay) on the way to Sydney was great (mind you this was back in 1997.) The next day the flight attendants had a break at some point and there was a free-for-all at the mini-bar.

I agree with the OP, they should have vegetarian, halal, lactose free, vegan, dairy free, hindu, kosher, raw vegan, low sodium, raw vegan, low calorie and baby meals and still remain cheap and every meal should be made fresh for that flight...

PS those are the special options, they should of course a nice selection of beef, pork, poultry, fish dishes all with various levels of spiciness for the rest

So they should prepare 20+ meals per person and chuck the rest away or have chefs on board making each person a special meal depending on their wishes

Ginga: that is not what I said.

A simple choice veg - non-veg is really not beyond the means of an airline catering service. Condor used to do this.

In the last 20 years or so things hjave changed in Germany; it's no longer an exclusively meat-eating society.

And you know. I can understand the need to pay for a "Sondermahlzeit", and would be willing to pay. But not €18, for what is basically junk.

Yes, they used to do it, but then market became way too competitive and prices went so cheap that they have problems making profit, so it is understandable they have to cut corners. You might think having a veggie option should be a must because it is what pleases YOU and you think the company would not have any extra costs by providing you the extra option, but truth is having extra options have indeed more costs even if the option seem to be cheaper, you are using the "Why should it be more expensive if it does not have meat?" logic. But there a other costs you are not seeing.

I myself have special requirements for food on planes, in long flights most airlines actually offer a bunch of choices at no extra charge (meat, veggie, kosher, halal, etc) and in short flights I just do not eat and do not make a fuss about it. I prefer not eating for 2 hours instead of paying 5x from what we pay now for flying compared to 20 years ago. What's actually the big deal with not eating for 2, 3 or 4 hours? I take lunch at 12m and dinner at 7pm. Seven hours of no food, every day.

I think Lufthansa is now charging 25 EUR for early seat reservation, this is a douchy move because the ones that will be affected are the people in need, like people traveling with babies and need to reserve the places with baby bassinets, families who need to seat together, elderly or people with mobility problems who want to be on isles or close to the toilets, etc. But at the same time I undestand they try to scrap money from everywhere because flying is way too cheap nowadays.