Paying for meals on a Condor flight

62 posts in this topic

Apparently they have their standard menu and that's it. If you want anything different -- I am vegetarian -- you need to pay extra.

http://www.condor.com/de/fluginfos/an-bord/premium-menues.jsp#c20721

Here is what they serve. For instance, breakfast is scrambled egg with bacon. Every dish is meaty. In this day and age? Even 3-star airlines (for example Caribbean Airlines) offer a vegetarian alternative as standard!

http://www.condor.com/de/fileadmin/dam/pdf/tcf-de/03_Fluginfos/04_An_Bord/Premium_Menue/Condor_Menuekarten_Premiummenue.pdfIt's not cheap either: €18 for an airplane meal??? You've got to be kidding. I'm taking my own food.

This is a Lufthansa company -- they have to be kidding. What cheapskates!

You might get a vegetarian meal if you let them know in advance, maybe even when you book your ticket (this used to be the case.)

No, it's not. Lufthansa has sold its stake years ago. Condor is owned by Thomas Cook.

Flying chattel class is less comfortable than taking the S-Bahn nowadays.

I've only seen this on Ryanair and Easyjet to date. Bah humbug!

Try any US-internal flight (and that includes Canada <=> US) where there is no food at all in cattle-class (has been so for years).

No, it's not. Lufthansa has sold its stake years ago. Condor is owned by Thomas Cook.

Depends when its suits them - for instance seems to be reasonably easy for crews to move between LH & Condor (I know two captains who moved from Cityline to Condor & others who started with Condor & are now with LH).

The Condor logo is very similar to the Lufthansa one... in fact, I thought it WAS the Lufthansa one. I haven't used them for many years. Used to be you could use Condor miles for your Lufthansa Miles and More.

Depends when its suits them - for instance seems to be reasonably easy for crews to move between LH & Condor (I know two captains who moved from Cityline to Condor & others who started with Condor & are now with LH).

Doesn't change the fact that Lufthansa sold its last stake in Condor in 2009.

Apparently they have their standard menu and that's it. If you want anything different -- I am vegetarian -- you need to pay extra.

http://www.condor.com/de/fluginfos/an-bord/premium-menues.jsp#c20721

Here is what they serve. For instance, breakfast is scrambled egg with bacon. Every dish is meaty. In this day and age? Even 3-star airlines (for example Caribbean Airlines) offer a vegetarian alternative as standard!

http://www.condor.com/de/fileadmin/dam/pdf/tcf-de/03_Fluginfos/04_An_Bord/Premium_Menue/Condor_Menuekarten_Premiummenue.pdfIt's not cheap either: €18 for an airplane meal??? You've got to be kidding. I'm taking my own food.

They pass out these free brotchens that taste like shit and puke. Then afterward the hand you the menu so you can order an €18 meal.

I will never fly on Condor again.

Nothing new here, nothing to see..move along! :D

As a really young man, 20 years old and in 1973, I flew with Laker Airways from Luxemburg to Nassau, Bahamas ( because it was the cheapest way out of Europe to anywhere West of Europe! NO internet those days and I was a kid anyway!).

I had hardly any money and found out I would have to pay for a meal on board...luckily, a passenger next to me felt ill and gave me his paid for meal! I hope he lived for ever!

Horrible... but now and again you get lucky. On my return flight from India in February, Emirates upgraded me to Business Class. Ahhhhhhh...

I mean, just look at this stuff -- totally disgusting. I really will take my own.

Flying to Guyana via Tobago! The airport is just next to the beach so I will take an hour or two relaxing under palms.

http://www.condor.com/de/fileadmin/dam/pdf/tcf-de/03_Fluginfos/04_An_Bord/Premium_Menue/Condor_Menuekarten_Premiummenue.pdf

I've flown with Condor a couple of times in the last few years and was pleasantly surprised that they gave free meals (admittedly, I'm not vegetarian). Given that it is essentially a Thomas Cook bucket holiday airline I hadn't expected to be given complementary food and drinks - and actually, I didn't think it was too bad! Made a welcome change from SleazyJet, Ryanair and the likes where you have to pay for absolutely everything. Has this changed then? Are they now charging for food too? (or is it only if vegetarian/special dietary requirements?)

Germanwings, SAS also have no meals if you book the low budget class. On inner European flights it's a non issue. No one will go hungry in 2hrs.

It's the new day and age of flying. :-/

I remember the days where a flight from sydney to brisbane return was 1 dollar cheaper than the single journey and the price was about 500 AUD. This is back in 1998 when I used to fly this now and again. But Qantas.gave you a free drink and some dodgy meal. 500 back then would be probably worth 1000 today in terms of salaries.

Now a flight can be booked that morning for usually less 100 each way, but you only get a shitty snack. Yes flying has become so mainstream these days. I prefer the good old days when a flight cost a weeks salary not a couple of hours pay but you got a 'nice" meal.

And my flight to sydney in 3 weeks, that i booked a few days ago with etihad cost 970 euros return. I almost paid that 10 years ago for a copenhagen to iceland flight.

What do you expect? To be flown in a tube half way around the world at 900kmh as well as a 5 star meal for the cost of a packet of peanuts?

I fly ryan air for business all the time. It saves a crap load of money and if im hungry i buy a dodgy sandwich at the airport before i leave for 5 euros. Problem solved.

Well, most short and medium haul flights either don't provide a free meal or it's very basic/poor quality. People have opted not to pay for poor quality food, so that's why it is so.

It seems that most domestic flights have food and drinks, but charge passengers. So, bring some sandwiches , snacks on board with you, especially if any diabetics travelling.

International carriers still provide free meals. If any special requests- vegetarian, diabetic, kosher, vegan,etc, these can be ordered on airline website. But, remember to order well in advance. If a member of a programme, just edit your profile so your dietary needs are listed.

Point well made that those of us in steerage get lousy food. So, bring food anyway.