Travel to USA via Canada

17 posts in this topic

Having recently got back from our epic drive from Seattle to San Francisco visiting just about every volcano on the way I have a probable business trip to Portland coming up.

Difficult to find suitable flights that don't start at crack-of-dawn here for a 33 hour day - or arrive late in the evening in Portland with work starting the Monday morning at 8am! Cattle-Class of course & limited company budget.

The current route is the favourite candidate: HAM=>FRA=>YVR=>PDX (with LH, LH & AC) and back the reverse route. YVR = Vancouver.

Anyone done a similar route?

What is the situation when entering Canada as a transit passenger & also when entering the US from Canada?

Flights at weekend when hopefully LH doesn't strike.

If you land in Canada on route to the U.S. they will have U.S. Immigration officers to check you. It is strange, but true. At least it was a few years back.

I assume you can visit Canada during your layover without an issue.

Does that mean that the flight Vancouver => Portland is effectivly an internal flight ie no immigration?

I would not be exiting the airport in Canada (except by plane).

If you passed into Canada, and then head on to the U.S. you will go through immigration.

Your flight from Vancouer to Portland either you will pass throught U.S. immigration in Canada or the U.S.

I suspect if you fly from Europe through Vancouer and onto the U.S. you will be processed in Canada (by U.S. Officials).

I have used Air Canada twice for flights to Columbus. FF to Toronto was about 8 hours, then a short hop to Columbus. Coming back, the flight was only about 7 hours. Yes, you go through immigration when you land in Canada coming from Germany, but it is fairly painless.

Have you looked at Icelandic Air? I used them last year to go to Sacramento. Great flights, with just a 40 min. layover in Iceland. Flight to Iceland from Frankfurt was 3.5 hours, flight to Seattle was about 7 hours or so, 2 hours in Seattle, then flight to Sacramento was with Alaskan Air and took about 1.5 hours. I will definitely use them again as I really like the short flight to the West Coast.

Have you looked at Icelandic Air?

Not on the company-approved list. We have to book via an Internet portal (which offers things like impossible connections & overnight stopovers in US airports on the way home expecting you just to sit there). In a recent company magazine one guy (from Munich) wrote about the trials & tribulations of booking many trips via this portal & it all rang true.

Most of the airports in Canada now have US Customs & Immigration in them. So you land in Canada, go through American security and Immigration, and then you sit in a section of the airport that is essentially American territory. When your flight lands in the US it can then go to the domestic gates, since all of the passengers have already been cleared. It is easy and convenient.

I traveled to the US via Canada last year via YYZ (Toronto) and it sucked. Yeah, it's true that you clear US Immigration in Canada but they don't stay there all night. Make sure your flight arrives well before 9PM otherwise you'll be sleeping in Canada and waiting for the next day to clear immigration. Air Canada footed the bill as they were the ones who we were late but it sucked nevertheless.

@ Mellyco..Not necessarily so...when you flight to U.S you clear U.S. custom and immigration in Canada, but depending on the U.S. city you are transiting you may go through customs again. ie. I flew Toronto Washington IAD(Dulles) to Paris and had to clear U.S. customs and immigration again, they were finger printing and photographing everyone, even though that had been done in Toronto, plus there were only a few officers on duty... I was so freaked out I was gonna miss my conenction. I got finger printed (which U.S. customs does not do to Canucks in YYZ)I said to the customs officer when he was gonna take my pic, I thought Canadians were exempt from prints and photo and he let me go...never again no through U.S, the stress wasn't worth the savings.

On Tripadvisor under United States: Entry into the US from Canada I found:

Entering into the U.S. through Canada

If one is flying into the United States with a first stop or change of planes in Canada, like on Air Canada, one goes through customs procedures in Canada, recovers baggage, and then boards the connecting flight to the United States by domestic flight. This seemingly confusing procedure occurs, despite the international nature, to allow Canadian airlines to fly to U.S. airports that don't have customs facilities.

Departing from the U.S. through Canada

If flying from U.S. airports, flights to Canada or through Canada (again despite the international nature) are most often found within domestic terminals.

It worked out exactly this way today. On disembarcing one has to follow the signs that say "US Transit" and one

goes through customs, then security check (just come of an LH plane!) and then immigration. At least twice you get shown

a piccy of your luggage on a conveyer belt & you just have to say its yours...

After flight to Portland just pick up luggage & go.

I was going to suggest Condor - we went from frankfurt - las vegas - portland with a 3 hour layover in LV and the flight departed FRA at 1030 - but apparently I'm a bit late for my suggestion to be useful.

BurgerVille. There's one right outside PDX. You'll thanks me later.

The return trip (same route) went differently.

The flight from Portland to Vancouver was again with Air Canada & we all got Canadian customs form to fill.

On arrival @ Vancouver (departure with LH to Frankfurt ca. 2 hours later) followed signs to International Transfers and at some stage found myself in a small queue to a Canadian Border control. He looks at customs form & recites two questions about Ebola to which he wants to hear "No" both times.

He asked where I was going, then applied a stamp to my passport allowing me to enter Canada (which I didnt want to do) & then I found myself in the departure terminal. Cannot recall if had to go through security again during the process.