Neighbours trespassing in my backyard

82 posts in this topic

What a fun thread-- some of the signs could multi-task in other situations. It seems this can happen in any country. Problem is, if the neighbour has been doing this for some time and no complaints from other tenants, it requires diplomacy rather than WMD aggression. Not sure if there is a neighbourhood body who can provide some neutral refereeing?

It boils down to basics. If it's the OP's yard, it's the OP's yard. No discussion. Guns, dog's, sign's, nuclear reactors, etc. It's your yard and fuck the trespassers. Just an observation.

Also, the OP already tried diplomacy. IMHO, I would lock the gate (if you know it is part of the rented property, see sarabyrd above).

Maybe a quiet sign like "Kein Durchgang" (no traffic through here).

This would be a German reaction, not too over the top. Solving problems with signs is popular here.

Don't argue or fight anymore.

What a fun thread-- some of the signs could multi-task in other situations. It seems this can happen in any country. Problem is, if the neighbour has been doing this for some time and no complaints from other tenants, it requires diplomacy rather than WMD aggression. Not sure if there is a neighbourhood body who can provide some neutral refereeing?

Hey man, I've been shagging my neighbor's wife for long time, when you move into his house I will shag your wife then, in case you do not like it you will have to be diplomatic about it.

I propose that the OP hire Spiderpig to come by and stand in his puffy black jacket and heavy work boots. I have the distinct feeling that he has a scary visage!

Turn nudist.

While neither answer maybe the solution, perhaps a combination of the two - a naked Spiderpig in heavy work boots - would serve to scare off any would be trespasser?

This is a bit of an old thread, but I thought I'd share.

We kept finding that things in our garden were being rearranged when we were out. We had a childrens paddling pool behind the shed and that was brought out onto a patio. Then all the old plant pots were also brought out and placed arround the garden. I set up a battery powered security camera but ... whoever it was came in and stole it. It did manage to take a wobbly picture of a woman before loosing contact with the wifi. 

I have to be honest, although we currently have no decent photos, we know that it is the wife of our neighbour, who also happens to be our landlord. We recently bought a new security camera which is now secured in a place noone can get to. We had great fun watching as the camera was activated as someone tried to hose it off the wall while we were away on holiday. Whenever we are in the garden she comes out with her phone and has a conversation to her 'friend' on the other line, saying all the bad things that we do like ... having a cleaner rather than cleaning ourselves or putting up a sun sail and damaging the house (even though we got permission from her husband). She also has been throwing leaves, egg shells, onion skins, tissue paper etc over the fence into our garden. I caught her once and she said it was good for the tree in the garden. Recently she has also started bringing her dog into our garden to go to the toilet. Oh, and the dogs bark constantly - she actually encourages them because she thinks it scares burglers away.

Admittedly she is a little bit 'special'. She has also been going into the garden of our other neighbours (with the same landlord). They had a chat with the landlord who said that he can't do anything about it because he can't get her to take her medication. 

I've asked the landlord round to have a chat but I suspect he is going suggest that he can't control her. Poor guy. She must be a nightmare. I think the only thing next is contacting the police, however, I suspect that might not mean anything to her.

Sounds like the behaviour of your landlord's wife isn't going to change anytime soon. In fact, it could escalate.

Any chance of moving?

Police and then emphasise that the whole street and town is talking about how the police has to come. Then tell her, next time you will call the mental hospital then the whole street and town can talk about the ambulance. Think small town to deal with this.

17 minutes ago, black1 said:

Police and then emphasise that the whole street and town is talking about how the police has to come. Then tell her, next time you will call the mental hospital then the whole street and town can talk about the ambulance. Think small town to deal with this.

damn that's pretty harsh.

but might be effective

1 hour ago, nsuffield said:

Recently she has also started bringing her dog into our garden to go to the toilet.

Of all the things you mentioned this is what I would focus on first, last, and to the end. It's not just a sign she's fucked in the head, it's a biohazard.

1 hour ago, pmd said:

Sounds like the behaviour of your landlord's wife isn't going to change anytime soon. In fact, it could escalate.

Any chance of moving?

No ... I'd rather not move. Quite like it here. To be honest, it's annoying but not that bad. More like a soap opera. We've dined out on it many times. 

Ewww. You know what I mean.

52 minutes ago, black1 said:

Funny you should mention the police. Our other neighbours told us that a police car and van visited our landlord while we were away on holiday. 

26 minutes ago, nsuffield said:

Funny you should mention the police. Our other neighbours told us that a police car and van visited our landlord while we were away on holiday. 

Perhaps you could ask your landlord if he needs any help and support? 

Just now, Kommentarlos said:

Perhaps you could ask your landlord if he needs any help and support? 

We're having him over for a chat next week.  

16 minutes ago, nsuffield said:

We're having him over for a chat next week.  

You may wish to offer the standard German hospitality - kaffee and kuchen. Even if you are a tea drinker (as I am from civilised Blighty) either bake a decent simple apple cake or hit the local konditorei and fill him up with it. Proper coffee also. That will show respect to German ways more than anything. 

The landlord can almost certainly do nothing. Tenants are gods in this country. My father in law who is a softie has a tyrant renting from him in the weekend place. he cannot get rid of her, she has so many rights. 

A few weeks ago I was cutting the inlaws lawn which I'm happy to do in exchange for storing my caravan on their land, when this slapper comes out and wrenches the lawnmower out of my hands, claiming I am not allowed to use it, then she pushes it away to the stairwell to her flat. Clear insanity.

We had a similar problem, though not as extreme,  when we moved into our house.  A lady we didn't know used to drive past our house playing very loud music and often stopped outside for more than an hour, just glaring at the house and us.  We kindly asked her to move on.  She responded by doing the same in the early hours of the morning.  

The police said there's nothing they can do as she hadn't trespassed.  Until, one day, my husband caught her on our property, face at the window.  My husband asked her politely to leave our property...she launched into a very strange tirade that we had killed her husband with the internet.  The police did then take the issue more seriously and our young daughter was afraid.   They went to see the lady after I gave them her car number plate.  They reported back that she was definitely of a disturbed disposition though they made it very clear to her that she could absolutely not go anywhere near our house again.  She hasn't thank goodness.

Good luck

4 hours ago, nsuffield said:

... that it is the wife of our neighbour, who also happens to be our landlord.

Huge mistake: never rent a place with your landlord next door/upstairs/downstairs, especially if they are pensioners who have nothing better else to do than monitoring their tenants.