Neighbours trespassing in my backyard

82 posts in this topic

...aka "Betreten verboten!".

You can buy that sign in the hardware store / Baumarkt.

Barking dogs? No, thanks!

Germany is a bark-free country with non aggressive dogs, so when you walk around the village you don't experience harassment of 100 dogs in the area. Unfortunately dogs are idiots and can't differentiate between a trespasser and someone who just wanders nearby.

Who said anything about barking? Biting, on the other hand...

Who said anything about barking? Biting, on the other hand...

Hmm, didn't think about it. Silent biting dogs. Not a bad idea :)

I can see this developing into a typical German neighbourhood war.

Go and see your local tenants' association (you ARE a member, aren't you?) and get their advice.

Depending on what they say, you will probably need to go and see a lawyer. (Did you say you have legal insurance?)

And whatever you do, don't have anything to do with this neighbour without a witness.

Good luck.

I propose that the OP hire Spiderpig to come by and stand in his puffy black jacket and heavy work boots. I have the distinct feeling that he has a scary visage!

A motion activated sprinkler (or two) aimed chest high across the path of someone entering via the gate should do the trick and is enviro friendly.

yes, I've heard similar stories in the UK.

A friend of mine had a right of way through his garden, the right of way was about a metre or so higher than his lounge window... he'd be having breakfast or dinner just in time to see someones dog having a massive dump as it was being walked through his garden... He erected an 8 foot fence made with concrete slats around the garden, so people could walk around the garden but not through it...

When I lived up north in England, I had bad neighbours, they decided to have a bonfire in my yard... they were seriously rough, so a confrontation would have resulted in violence I think... I went around around about their dog barking with a friend, some lessons learnt that day... This is when landlords house DSS in the nice properties near the centre of town... so you end up renting a nice place, next to rough neighours -actually, it was probably so expensive council tenants were the only one that could afford it as the rent was paid by the council...

Anyway, this is Germany, maybe write a letter to your neighbours why they use your backyard? Stating its is kind of unnerving seeing people in your backyard you don't even know... Not sure what to do otherwise... probably already answered, count yourself lucky your neighbours are human...

Can you plant some really thorny bushes.

Back in San Diego my brother and I rented a house and we had someone going between the houses and trying to break in throgh a back window. We planted a bunch of cactus and the problem was resolved.

Oh, GER308, you just gave me an idea. When I managed HUD housing (you know, the projects, da pjs), we would post "Danger beware of chemicals" signs wherever we wanted to decrease foot traffic on the grounds. People remember that stuff for months. So, OP, put on a respirator from OBI and make a big show of spraying something out of a bottle on your grounds. Then, post signs.

Just print something that says, "Achtung! Hier wird Unkrautvertigler gespritzt! kein Kontakt!"

I propose that the OP hire Spiderpig to come by and stand in his puffy black jacket and heavy work boots. I have the distinct feeling that he has a scary visage!

sort of a 6'5" Fonzie with muscles... :lol:

Hello Toytown

This is weird.

I rent a house with a back yard. It is fenced with an old gate into the neighbour's yard. I also have a neighbour. Said neighbour insists on using my backyard to access their backyard. They have had deliveries made through my backyard. They even tell their gardener to walk into my backyard in order to do their garden maintenance.

I have told them to get my permission before they enter my yard. They don't. I have told them to stop entering my fenced yard. I have told their gardener to stop. But they keep coming back. They are trespassing and frankly freaking out my wife. It is kind of weird to see complete strangers wandering through your backyard without warning.

Is there such a thing as trespass in Germany? what are my "rights"? How can I get them to cease and desist (without putting padlocks and chains on every gate)?

thanks all

It would freak me out also seeing ppl walking though my yard, what if you where walking around in your underwear etc (just saying) BUY A BIG PADLOCK you just might have to resort to this?