Berlin has become a magnet for young Internationals

79 posts in this topic

Can I pick "none of the above"? Cause they all kinda seem like wankers (or schlickers, as the case may be)...

Well, if poaching is considered illegal, how 'bout a simple boil -  I've got the Zatarain's :) 

How Berlin Became the World’s Coolest Capital City

brille.gif

the German capital has leveraged its legendary climate of cultural experimentation, DIY creativity, and free-wheeling spirit born from repression to become one of the most achingly hip places on the planet. Even as it’s catapulted to the center of European power and faced growing gentrification woes, Berlin remains a dynamic cultural trendsetter—a place whose live-and-let-live ethos has lured artists, activists, and visitors since Berliners swarmed the Wall with sledgehammers in 1989.

Um yes, that's all very well, I'm a fan of the city myself, but it's pushing it a bit to regard Condé Nast Traveler as the arbiter of coolness...;)

1 hour ago, john_b said:

but it's pushing it a bit to regard Condé Nast Traveler as the arbiter of coolness...;)

True.

Better ???

Why Kiwis are choosing Berlin over London for their Big OEs (New Zealand)

With its relatively low cost of living, creative culture, thriving start-up scene and arguably Europe's best nightlife, Berlin has become a magnet to young professionals from around the world

Without reading Lear's posts because he is on ignore, it looks like he is still promoting Berlin as the greatest sex mecca and city on the planet. 

He really should travel more.

4 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Without reading Lear's posts because he is on ignore, it looks like he is still promoting Berlin as the greatest sex mecca and city on the planet. 

He really should travel more.

I spent four days in Paris last week, and honestly, Berlin hast its cool angle, but Paris, London, New York... those are the really awesome cities.

Seriously, Berlin's a great place to live - if you're the big city type - but the days when you could come here on a lark, find a cheap place to crash, and just hang out are long gone. Average rents have more than doubled in the last decade. So have bar prices. And the housing that you can actually get (that is, is actually available9 costs far more than average.

And unless you have particular, sought-after skills or enjoy working night shifts at hostels, jobs are scarce. And if you're in tech, you have to really watch out to not end up in a Samwer sweatshop.

3 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

Seriously, Berlin's a great place to live(...)

It is. I think most of the reasons that made me choose this city are the same if not for most of (foreign) people around here at least for some of them:

1) in this city/country I got a good job comparing to my country which is almost impossible

2) salaries here are crazy high compared to my country and the food/rent and other expenses are similar or sometimes even lower

3) the "feeling" in Berlin, the environment, is more relaxed. It gives a feeling of "enjoy your life" instead of "work, work, fast, stress, stress" like it was back in my country

4) the weather is damn lovely, in my country the summer was impossible to bear. Going out of home was like taking a walk at the Sun for me :lol: But I am a lover of the greyish skies, colder weather style, snow (never saw snow in my city)

5) Christmas here really does feel like Christmas! Magical! 

6) Besides working, there is a lot of time left to really appreciate your work efforts. Back in my country I would work so much, I would even carry work home and even at weekends I would never be able to enjoy life at all. 

... I really feel like even my health is so much better in here, less allergies, less stress, less crazy worries like "working 14h per day is not gonna pay for my rent". 

7) In Berlin you can be whoever you are. Nobody cares if you are using piercings, tattoos, pink hair, weird colorful clothing mixes... and that's so lovable! In my country you would never get a job if you were showing up a piercing (I got banned from a shopping mall for using a small barely noticeable piercing in my face while working advertising a company inside the mall).

Sorry for long post and sorry for comparing always to my country but, I really live here like I got out of prison (my country) and that I am being able to touch the freedom. Everyday is a "wow" appreciating all I have in here day! So... never going back to my country (to live there again). ;)

Guten Rutsch !

What it’s like to drive a Trabant, communist East Germany’s ‘car of the people’ - New York Daily News

Berlin is one of the world’s trendiest cities, blossoming in recent years under the creative gumption of hipsters, artists, musicians, and entrepreneurs. A young, increasingly international population, a sprawling, accessible transit system, and a commitment to sustainability and carbon neutrality for the foreseeable future make it a veritable paradise for the modern urban millennial.

Come to think of it, although my first visit to Berlin was back in 1967 and I've lived here (on and off) since 1992, I've never taken the wheel of a Trabi...maybe one for the bucket list in 2018!

How Berlin became the capital of cool
The Times

But Berlin’s status has not been cemented overnight. It has an astonishing cultural history, which takes in everything from the Bauhaus school of art to Iggy Pop and David Bowie, both of whom called the city home in the 1970s. It a centre of modern art and film. It has a thriving food scene. And it is home to people from all over the world. The city has long drawn young creatives who are attracted by the reasonable cost of living – but it is now drawing families, too.

bildschirmfoto2018-044lp59.png

Why Berlin's vibrant culture is good for business

Europe's Silicon Valley

Berlin has long been a magnet for artists and musicians such as David Bowie and Iggy Pop, who lived in the city’s Schöneberg neighbourhood in the late 1970s.

But the German capital - described by former mayor Klaus Wowereit in 2003 as “poor but sexy” - has become Europe’s Silicon Valley, competing with London as the continent’s premier startup hub and source of venture capital.

Sonnenuntergang_an_der_Spree%2C_Berlin.j