Berlin has become a magnet for young Internationals

79 posts in this topic

Suddenly everyone wants to be German
FT

The media, meanwhile, carry reports of British Jews reclaiming their right to a citizenship stripped from their ancestors by the Nazis. And German local authorities have reported sharp increases in citizenship applications from British expatriates; the embassy in London has also seen a spike in inquiries. Everyone, it seems, wants to be German.

&

Enthusiasm for becoming German extends beyond the practicalities of securing a post-Brexit EU identity. In case you hadn’t heard, Berlin is Europe’s coolest city. It is edgy, arty, brimming with history,and — even better for the scarred veterans of the London property market — cheap. The German capital sits at the heart of a bigger overhaul of Brand Deutschland.

A new and very Yiddish ‘Hallelujah’

But Berlin is a very special city. I moved here in 2005. I figured it was a good time to broaden my scope and to live among the nations, to put myself in a kind of double diaspora.

“I fell in love with the city, the music here, the patchwork of cultures and the kaleidoscope of languages.

“Berlin is a truly cosmopolitan city in the way it hasn’t been since the 1920s. Unlike Paris or London, it’s a city where artists can afford to be creative and not make a ton of money. As a base it’s been wonderful.

Well, if it suits you to be called a dickhead, I won't stop you. :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
n.
1. Slang A fool; an idiot.
2. Vulgar Slang A penis.
intr.v. putzed, putz·ing, putz·es Slang
To behave in an idle manner; putter.[Yiddish pots, penis, fool, of unknown origin.]

24 minutes ago, Lear said:

Being a Yiddish Penis is also fine…..

brille.gif

Because you're such a cut-up?

On 07/10/2016, 23:56:57, Lear said:

"With global connections"??? Don't get me wrong. I like Berlin and I think it's a very interesting city but it's not the place for "ambitious people" (that would be New York, London, Frankfurt Dubai...) and I hope they are not referring to those two airfields with a hut next to them as "global connections".

Making “Aliyah” to Berlin
Jewish Journal (L.A.)

During my first week in Berlin, which I had visited periodically, the love was instant, and I felt, mutual. Finally, a creative, pleasant city where things just worked and people didn’t scream. Transportation was smooth. My landlord was a sweetheart. People on the whole were really nice. And the beer was $3 instead of $7!

I realized how much I enjoyed being in an international city, unencumbered by constant nationalistic demands. I began to heal so much of the pain I felt living with my “ex-lover”, Israel.[/QUOTE]

On 8/18/2016, 3:51:33, grimmiger said:

I finally got round to using the bike map for a tour down to Grünewald. I can't believe it's taken me so long. The route was much better than I usually end up taking (just head of in the general direction, and end up following the main arteries). I  love the quiet bits of suburbia, with nice homely looking cafes or restaurants, lots of greenery, play parks, quiet traffic, wide roads, and ultimately the forests and lakes. I love the fact that so much of Berlin is like a quiet provincial town, and somehow also reminds me of Singapore in the 70s (when it was still low rise).

We've lived in Dahlem (ok, so now we're also in Freiburg...) since August 2013. I love it so much. The apartment is a bit "meh" but we are on the edge of Grunewald, lots of quiet, leafy green streets, a swimming lake in the summer months that we can walk to on foot - through trails! - and of course lots of restaurants, bakeries, etc (a function of living near FU to be sure).

To date, it is the only place I've ever lived in the world that allows you to be surrounded by nature and feel like you're not living in the city at all while at the same time being 25 minutes from Wittenbergplatz/Nollendorfplatz on the U3. And that's why until we figure out our long-term jobs (academia is a bitch) I will be keeping that apartment. (It also helps that because we directly got it from the previous tenants we are still paying rock bottom rent.)

On 11/20/2016, 8:25:42, Smaug said:

"With global connections"??? Don't get me wrong. I like Berlin and I think it's a very interesting city but it's not the place for "ambitious people" (that would be New York, London, Frankfurt Dubai...) and I hope they are not referring to those two airfields with a hut next to them as "global connections".

I mostly agree, but as an academic working in the humanities (who is ambitious but not a corporate business type), neither Frankfurt nor Dubai have a lot to offer in terms of "global connections" for what I do. If I move out of academia, my next bet would be places with research centers, government orgs, non-profits, or think tanks. Berlin has those, as does a place like Washington, D.C. (though I never want to move back to DC... EVER). New York and London have, of course, always been good places and have lots of opportunities. Unfortunately they're mostly unaffordable for non-corporate people.

Berlin for Jews
UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO PRESS BOOKS

And what happens when an American Jew, raised by a secular family, falls in love with Berlin not in spite of his being a Jew but because of it?  The answer is Berlin for Jews. Part history and part travel companion, Leonard Barkan’s personal love letter to the city shows how its long Jewish heritage, despite the atrocities of the Nazi era, has left an inspiring imprint on the vibrant metropolis of today.

@Lear Thanks for sharing! Looked interesting...that was until I watched the trailer and naja, not my cup of tea.  bit too metrosexual and soap opera GZSZ-like production also taking place in Berlin but dialog all in English as one would expect in Berlin. :D

Not sure if this was already mentioned, EPIX has an original series running called Berlin Station  a spy/espionage drama which has gotten fairly good reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZRPE6ybVis 

9 hours ago, sr5dnptylno said:

Not sure if this was already mentioned, EPIX has an original series running called Berlin Station  a spy/espionage drama which has gotten fairly good reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZRPE6ybVis 

Yep. I´ve already seen the first 10 episodes and highly recommend Berlin Station. Its probably the finest "Berlin" based TV series in this century. With a very modern urban Berlin atmosphere. The only disadvantage, for a German viewer, is the American-only perspective on the city.