Berlin has become a magnet for young Internationals

79 posts in this topic

Somewhat ill-humoured article about the Berlin hype among young Israelis: James Kirchick, "Was soll die israelische Begeisterung für Berlin?", FAZ, 29 July 2915 I think there are many reasons for this surprising popularity, but the author overanalyses them. His suspicion that this immigration is welcomed by Germans because it is further evidence of the normalcy of their country and because it confirms the widespread negative views on Israel especially among the German left (i.e. Israel leaves critical young people no choice than to leave the country) may be applicable to some Germans, but doesn't reflect a general opinion.

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  

Germany more admired than any other European country; 
Merkel the only leader trusted to make valuable contribution to peace process
Times of Israel


The survey, conducted in mid-February, found much Israeli sympathy for Germany in general and for its chancellor in particular. A quarter of respondents said they have “very favorable” view of the country. Nearly 45% have a “somewhat favorable” opinion of Germany, while only 26% hold negative views.

Asked which European country Israel should seek to have the closest relationships with, Germany came in at top place with 33%, followed by Great Britain (25%) and France (14%).

Sixty-six percent of Israelis could correctly answer — without any prompt — who the current German head of government is, and a large majority (61%) have a high or very high opinion of Merkel.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread is weird. Berlin is a magnet for young (insert any nationality). Why is this dedicated to Israelis?

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fritsen said:

This thread is weird. Berlin is a magnet for young (insert any nationality). Why is this dedicated to Israelis?

 

Well now, jus' supposin' you were a search engine optimizer and your B2B clients or your cuz were operating travel agencies or resettlement consultancies in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. Opening threads on the primary English language expat forum in Germany, (with the bonus wider area coverage of it's parent enterprise The LowCal), using keywords in the topic title like Berlin+Israelis might be a smart move. After all, probably the first step taken by any young Israeli considering a gap year (or more) in Europe would be to put some question featuring those keywords into Google.

 

If I were a travel agent or resettlement consultant in Israel with an interest in promoting travel to Berlin or biz for my cuz's hostels, kosher catering services or realtor agency I'd make sure my clients had access to an internet cafe room and then I'd set up all the browser home pages to open on Toytown or The LowCal.

 

B) muahaha

 

OTOH maybe I'm just being too cynical... and the OP isn't even working for the city's 'Visit Berlin' enterprise either.

 

Who knows? AFAIR Lear hasn't taken much interest in answering questions about their motivation in any of their previous pro-Berlin marketing threads so, if they remain true to form, your guess as to why may be as good as mine.

 

2B

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, 2B_orNot2B said:

AFAIR Lear hasn't taken much interest in answering questions about their motivation in any of their previous pro-Berlin marketing threads so, if they remain true to form, your guess as to why may be as good as mine.

 

:blink:

 

Berlin would be probably too poor to pay me.

 

:D

 

I just like reading news. The things I find interesting or entertaining I´d like to share.

 

I changed the topic title so that I can spam this thread even more…..

 

:ph34r:

 

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone explain to me the attraction of Berlin? None of the "cool" startups which have changed the world come out of Germany. 

 

I have seen Communist buildings from Dresden to Ulan Bator and they are hideous. Why are these attractive to live in?

 

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone tell me why this is "news"?

 

hasn't this been going on for quite a long time already?  I mean, it's already too late - the city is no longer cheap, and with all the new hipster riffraff, I'm doubting it's sex appeal has really improved.

 

got to leipzig

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jeremy said:

Can anyone explain to me the attraction of Berlin? None of the "cool" startups which have changed the world come out of Germany. 

 

I have seen Communist buildings from Dresden to Ulan Bator and they are hideous. Why are these attractive to live in?

 

 

 

 

(West) Berlin hasn't been a part of (West) Germany until 1990, i.e. there was no German army present there. So anyone who didn't like to serve in the army (this was compulsory back then) could just move to Berlin. This is why West Berlin attracted many hippies and the likes. On the other hand, West Germany remained conservative and quite religious. That hippy generation had children who now form what is known as "hip" Berlin. Poor, but open to the world more than any other city not only in Germany, but the whole Europe because no other country has had such a big hippy island in its (de jure) capital.

 

Well, this more or less explains why Berlin attracts foreigners. Well, not all of them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

"Hippy Island"

 

 

I like.

 

:lol:

 

Berlin is a lot of things at the same time:

 

A diverse large western metropolis.

Start up mecca.

Political center of power.

Hipster heaven.

Student magnet.

Cultural global city.

Alternative refuge.

The German version of cosmopolitanism.

The future of Europe.


Universities in Berlin attract more applicants than last year

 

Quote

The Humboldt University of Berlin has received 51,400 applications for bachelor study, a year-on-year increase by 25 percent. With only 3,835 seats available, demand exceeds supply by several times.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

(West) Berlin hasn't been a part of (West) Germany until 1990, i.e. there was no German army present there. So anyone who didn't like to serve in the army (this was compulsory back then) could just move to Berlin. This is why West Berlin attracted many hippies and the likes. On the other hand, West Germany remained conservative and quite religious. That hippy generation had children who now form what is known as "hip" Berlin. Poor, but open to the world more than any other city not only in Germany, but the whole Europe because no other country has had such a big hippy island in its (de jure) capital.

 

You know I like to slightly wind up people. That was a fair defence.

 

I'll be up there with my caravan blasting out "Silver Machine" within 8 hours then.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jeremy said:

Can anyone explain to me the attraction of Berlin? None of the "cool" startups which have changed the world come out of Germany. 

 

I have seen Communist buildings from Dresden to Ulan Bator and they are hideous. Why are these attractive to live in?

 

 

 

 

 

well "young internationals" does not mean "competitive young internationals"

 

actually there is indeed one company that changed the world: the rocket internet, the biggest copycat of last 10 years...trust me even the chinese do not have a chance to compete this title. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally got round to using the bike map for a tour down to Grünewald. I can't believe it's taken me so long. The route was much better than I usually end up taking (just head of in the general direction, and end up following the main arteries). I  love the quiet bits of suburbia, with nice homely looking cafes or restaurants, lots of greenery, play parks, quiet traffic, wide roads, and ultimately the forests and lakes. I love the fact that so much of Berlin is like a quiet provincial town, and somehow also reminds me of Singapore in the 70s (when it was still low rise).

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2016, 6:51:33, grimmiger said:

I finally got round to using the bike map for a tour down to Grünewald. I can't believe it's taken me so long. The route was much better than I usually end up taking (just head of in the general direction, and end up following the main arteries). I  love the quiet bits of suburbia, with nice homely looking cafes or restaurants, lots of greenery, play parks, quiet traffic, wide roads, and ultimately the forests and lakes. I love the fact that so much of Berlin is like a quiet provincial town, and somehow also reminds me of Singapore in the 70s (when it was still low rise).

I'm seriously thinking of boxing up my bike and flying it with me to Berlin. How long is a bike trip end to end, east to west?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How long is a piece of string? Seriously, exploring Berlin on the bike is a great pleasure in the summer months. You can also take bikes on the S-Bahn to Potsdam or further afield on the Regio, such as the lakes of Mecklenburg or Sächsische Schweiz

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Venture Capital and Start Ups 
Is Berlin an example for Australian capital cities?

With the expansion of the EU eastwards and freedom of movement of people Berlin is once again exerting a magnetic force on ambitious young people who want to live in a major metropolitan centre with global connections.

Start up scenes in major cities tend to reflect the underlying competitive strengths of the cities concerned. Berlin as a major centre for higher education, research and the creative industries tends to more resemble New York than Silicon Valley.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now