Berlin has become a magnet for young Internationals

66 posts in this topic

I think the OP should have added his comments. I have no opinion (except to wonder how they will get on with all the Russian Jews?), but I added an extra link just that those interested could read more.

I can't speak for Lear (obviously) but a lot of Germans take it as a given that anyone coming to Germany to live also has a reason for doing so.

Before every third human in Berlin was a hipster-artist-foreigner, people would look at you like you were crazy for coming to Germany to live "just cause."

"You're from where? Why ON EARTH would you want to live here?" And then make some half-jokey comment about how most people around these parts would kill to live where you come from, be it because of the weather, the wide open spaces, the social liberty and "unbegrenzte Möglichkeiten" or whatever else. Now they seem to accept that people from also-okay places come to Germany, especially Berlin, for a host of reasons. But a reason they still have.

So, if someone thinks a pile of Israelis are herding into Berlin, he probably also thinks they have a reason. That doesn't necessarily mean he thinks it is negative. But he believes (and is probably right) that it is not a coincidence.

Lear is also the creator as well as single biggest contributor to the Berlin is the Sex Mecca of Europe thread, so trends affecting Berlin appear to interest him and to have done so for quite some time.

But we want to know what you think of the issue....

Lear likes the idea ( ) yes ( ) no

Langweilig... *yawns from boredom*

Lear has yet to prove he can type any English at all.

But we want to know what you think of the issue....

Moi?

To me its not a surprise that among other pleasure-seekers and young professionals (immigrants) also Israelis enjoy to live in Berlin.

I always made good contacts with them. I like Pastrami sandwiches. So I welcome the development.

There is also a bigger impact on the society about the mostly secular Israelis coming to Berlin. Because of the German history from 1933-45

its quite remarkable that there is a generation from Israel which is pre-dominantly drawn to Berlin by its liberal standards and economic opportunities….

cool. nice to know. :)

I wish they would some to Hamburg and bring pastrami with them.

Push for Israelis to move to Berlin causes an uproar

USA Today

The Move to Berlin initiative is not entirely new. The Israeli embassy in Germany estimated more than 15,000 Israelis have arrived in Berlin since 2011, after the "Rothschild Boulevard" protests in Tel Aviv that coincided with the Occupy Movement in the United States, along with the Arab Spring demonstrations in this region.

In Tel Aviv then, protesters occupied tony Rothschild Boulevard for three months in a demonstration initially sparked by the high price of cottage cheese in local groceries. Berlin these days is dotted with Israeli start-ups. A street in the Kreuzberg district is informally called "Little Tel Aviv" because so many Israelis live there.

You need to go back to Berlin and get me another pastrami sammich! :)

The articles seem to be only about israelis.

Why the change of title to "Jews"?

I thought it was original title due to ignorance. But if it was changed by the mods, then why?

If it's about Israelis who come to Europe due to inconveniences in their country these are mostly atheists who also don't like Sabbath inconveniences. They are much worse than German Sunday ban because there is no exception for travelers. Public transportation doesn't work, gas stations closed, shops/restaurants closed, taxis charge ridiculous prices.

woz changed by the OP, that's the one you gotta ask if you wanna know why.

People! You can check the title edit history in the top right corner of your screen. Always!

Thanks. Discovered a new function and that's why nominate myself as the dumbest user of this week (today is Friday).