What made you smile today?

4,209 posts in this topic

post-85138-13100773544527.jpg

I read about this book on TT two years ago and ordered a copy for Vierling's little girl, then three. It became her "lieblings Buch", her favorite book. I love it myself. Teach your children young.

Of course, Enkelin wanted her parents to show her that they were like the mother and father in the book, I guess to be sure the book was reliable.

Vierling's two girlies, now 7 and 3, just called to wish me belated birthday greetings and to say that the book is still their Lieblingsbuch.

post-85138-14224716939567.png

What a truly wonderful man Bernard Jordan was. His story of going AWOL last June made us smile, now he has left his estate to charity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-31026464

This:

I'll save uncle nick the trouble on this one: the OP said to email THEM at the address provided. Just do that

Just read this. I find it very German like and it made me smile to see that an educated lady would be so bold. So, folks in Dortmund, do you know her, and is she still going strong. I have much respect for her.

http://www.trueactivist.com/shes-69-and-hasnt-used-money-for-15-years-and-has-never-been-happier/

I stopped off in Bad Cannstatt on the way home to go to the ATM - and was puzzled by loud, raucous cries. After a minute, I figured out it was birds sitting in the trees, but was still puzzled because I'd never heard crows (beastly birds) making that type of noise. A young guy saw me standing there staring up into the trees, and said: Don't worry, it's the parrots, they can make some really strange noises. At first I thought, "yeah right, tell me another"... until some of them took off and flew by and you could see that they were in fact... parrots! They must have flown over from the Wilhelma zoo nearby. There were at least eight of them, chattering away. So fun! :)

EDIT: Just been googling, and found out that there is a large population of feral parrots that live in Stuttgart. They're originally from South America, the first was probably a pet that flew away - and it's a mystery how they manage to survive and thrive in a climate that is very different from their native one. There's an interesting article about it in the Stuttgarter Zeitung (in German only).

Even though it is a drizzly day, I decided to walk to the Ubahn instead of riding a stadtrad to enjoy the weather. If I hadn't walked, I would not have found the leather glove I lost a few days ago, neatly placed on a post.

Lots of parrots in Germany. Köln, Wiesbaden, Heidelberg, etc. Wishing we had a flock in Frankfurt.

http://www.welt.de/wissenschaft/article13828914/Papageien-machen-sich-im-Rheinland-breit.html

Was outside my motorbike dealears today standing about 10m away from my bike,suddenly my navi blasted out"please drive to the chosen route" two little girls playing nearby first looked startled and then one said "how cool is that! a motorbike that can talk" i felt like the knight rider :)

Smile and cry...just caught the last bit of Galileo Big Pictures and was very moved by Nicholas Winton's amazing accomplishments. Dubbed as the British Schindler.

suddenly my navi blasted out"please drive to the chosen route"

Several days ago a muffled voice spoke out of a drawer in the dining area: "You have reached your destination".

Frightened the life out of the wife.

You'd have thought that if the Navi was still running & hadn't had a GPS signal for a few days they could have programmed it to say "Heeelp - I'm shut in - please rescue me".

This reminds me of a story in a German newspaper: a German man man on holiday was led down a street that got increasingly narrower by his navi. In order to continue his journey he folded back the wing mirrors and lost his thumb during the process. When his car finally got stuck the navi said "Sie haben Ihr Ziel erreicht." This could be translated in two ways:

1. You have reached your destination.

2. You have achieved your purpose.