What made you smile today?

6,169 posts in this topic

I know Ed Bob's hid a lot of odd ball community reps into the actual numbers of greenies we receive. It won't just read good, awesome, awesome with sauce etc but something else. We all miss them. It's very dependant on randomly looking at your profile when the numbers actually align. Personally, I'd never seen one before. Until tonight.

619951b3db6fe_Image3.png.206d709f684169a  

I smiled. :D

23 minutes ago, Metall said:

Wow. As much as I love Le Mesurier in "Dad's Army", this is showing a bit too much privilege...

I think he was being droll.  He was not privileged in the sense that he knew someone who knew someone who could get him out of action due to bone spurs.  It just happenned he ended up where he ended up.

On 11/14/2021, 12:21:13, Janx Spirit said:

In 1999 David Gerrold, an American science fiction screenwriter and novelist, (he wrote the script for the original Star Trek episode "The Trouble with Tribbles") predicted:

[long smartphone prediction]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gerrold#Other_works

Huh. Don't you say.
I was a Unix system administrator attached to a project in 2000 trying to develop what we now know as a smartphone.
During a major brainstorming session, people were going "phone needs a calendar", "phone needs a data connection", "how about more games on the phone?" yadda yadda.

I yawned (a sysadmin always is tired) and said "Guys, you're looking at this all wrong. You DON'T wanna develop a phone. " <minor outrage> "What you really wanna develop is a computer with all of its functions. ALL of them. Small enough to put in your pocket. And then you add something so you can make phone calls with it. THAT'S what you want!!"

I didn't get a Wikipedia entry for saying that, but yes, I did say it.

I'm normally a Les Paul plugged into a Marshall stack kinda guy, but damn, this song is bangin...

6 hours ago, theGman said:

I'm normally a Les Paul plugged into a Marshall stack kinda guy, but damn, this song is bangin...

Todrick Hall is currently one of the hottest choreographers (dancer, musician, composer...) around.
I really like how he takes drag dancing/werking and turns it into an almost abstract work of art. Kinda reminds me of Daft Punk's "Around the World"!

7 hours ago, tor said:

50 years ago, Norway accepted gay marriage 

Gay people in Iceland used to flee to Norway and Denmark in the 70's because they were more progressive.  Bumming around Oslo around 30 yrs. ago with a friend, we were standing outside a bar speaking Icelandic and an older fellow heard us and came over to chat.  He was one of them refugees.  Makes me smile that they found a place where they could be happy but a bit sad they had to leave in the first place.

1 hour ago, Wulfrun said:

619f5b8981ba1_howold.jpg.14bc40c3f2a3637

There was me thinking I'm old, turns out I'm only middle aged :lol:

So the retirement age is going up to 80 now? :D