What made you smile today?

6,314 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

At least motor cycles make a loud warning noise.

Erm....that's the annoying part along with the ones that don't slow down.

"Oh, somewhere in this favoured land the sun is shining bright,
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light;
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout,
But there is no joy in Mudville—joy riding's been struck out."

apologies to Ernest Lawrence Thayer

Thank you, fraufruit! That is so beautiful!❤️
A delightful and talented girl and a gentleman together!

That has made my day!❤️❤️

20 hours ago, Krieg said:

Probably 99% of the motorcycle riding I do is useless driving.

18 hours ago, Krieg said:

Actually there has been several attempts to forbid motorcycles on Sundays.   Luckily all failed until now.

And yet, lorries are still banned from driving on Sundays. Lorries. The most useful of all driving.

I am not against motorbikes on Sunday. I am against the Sunday lorry ban.

20 minutes ago, theGman said:

And yet, lorries are still banned from driving on Sundays. Lorries. The most useful of all driving.

I am not against motorbikes on Sunday. I am against the Sunday lorry ban.

Why? There is no need, shops are closed Sunday too, Germany works very well with one slightly quiet day. In any case there are many exceptions, milk transport for example.

4 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

Why? There is no need, shops are closed Sunday too, Germany works very well with one slightly quiet day. In any case there are many exceptions, milk transport for example.

Why ban it? What's the advantage? Driving a car around on a Sunday is, at best, mildly easier than driving around on a Saturday. The modern world has an insatiable thirst for stuff. That stuff has to get to us somehow. Spread the load over 7 days instead of 6. On Sundays, every inch of motorway laybys in Germany are full of poor lorry drivers forced to spend the day parked up, twiddling their thumbs. Absolutely pointless.

54 minutes ago, theGman said:

Why ban it? What's the advantage? Driving a car around on a Sunday is, at best, mildly easier than driving around on a Saturday. The modern world has an insatiable thirst for stuff. That stuff has to get to us somehow. Spread the load over 7 days instead of 6. On Sundays, every inch of motorway laybys in Germany are full of poor lorry drivers forced to spend the day parked up, twiddling their thumbs. Absolutely pointless.

Some peace and quiet  is welcome. Especially on days off.

In my experience, many people choose to return from the south after holidays on Sunday because there are no trucks on the road. This includes retired people like us who don't have to be at work on Monday. Unfortunately, it also includes thousands of campers who also clog up the roads and try to pass each other like lorries do.

6 hours ago, theGman said:

It would break the German system.  If they could deliver on Sundays....

When the LKW gets somewhere, it would expect to be unloaded (needing staff on Sunday).

Then it's empty and needs a new load - meaning the dispatcher et al also need to be active on Sunday.

And the security mob too...

The office and retail Germans need their Sunday off - so let them have it.

But can you let the Baumarkt open on Sunday so I can fix things I broke on Saturday whilst fixing them  ???

Pretty please ??

10 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

It would break the German system.  If they could deliver on Sundays...

When the LKW gets somewhere, it would expect to be unloaded (needing staff on Sunday).

Then it's empty and needs a new load - meaning the dispatcher et al also need to be active on Sunday.

Back when I was a manpower worker, the factory I worked in did not work on Sundays and I think entirely do to the fact that they would have had to pay shift premiums.

11 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

It would break the German system.  If they could deliver on Sundays...

The office and retail Germans need their Sunday off - so let them have it.

But can you let the Baumarkt open on Sunday so I can fix things I broke on Saturday whilst fixing them  ???

Pretty please ??

I said let the lorries drive. I didn't say they have to offload. Then it's up to the lorry drivers what they do. It doesn't need legislating against.

The A99 in Munich is a major corridor for traffic going from eastern to western Europe. I reckon at least half the lorries aren't even offloading in Germany. Let them through.

14 hours ago, fraufruit said:

In my experience, many people choose to return from the south after holidays on Sunday because there are no trucks on the road. This includes retired people like us who don't have to be at work on Monday. Unfortunately, it also includes thousands of campers who also clog up the roads and try to pass each other like lorries do.

I do have to work on a Monday. I would prefer to let the lorries through on a Sunday if the want to. Could make my Monday mornings a lot easier. So, swings and roundabouts and all that.

17 hours ago, Sannerl said:

Some peace and quiet  is welcome. Especially on days off.

So we should indeed ban motorbikes too then. And church bells while we're at it...they're far more annoying than a lorry on the motorway.

Britney Spears is free! The Free Britney Movement #FreeBritney has worked. Now, back to first world problems 😀.

Is that a Pita in your pocket?

In 1999 David Gerrold, an American science fiction screenwriter and novelist, (he wrote the script for the original Star Trek episode "The Trouble with Tribbles") predicted:

I've got a cell phone, a pocket organiser, a beeper, a calculator, a digital camera, a pocket tape recorder, a music player, and somewhere around here, I used to have a color television.

Sometime in the next few years, all of those devices are going to meld into one. It will be a box less than an inch thick and smaller than a deck of cards. (The size will be determined by what's convenient to hold, not by the technology inside.)

The box will have a high-res color screen, a microphone, a plug for a headset or earphones, a camera lens, wireless connectivity, cell phone and beeper functions, a television and radio receiver, a digital recorder, and it will have enough processing power and memory to function as a desktopsystem. It will be able to dock with a keyboard and full size monitor. Oh yes, and it will handle email as well.

Most important of all, it will have both speech recognition and speech synthesis. It will listen and respond in English or whatever language you need, and yes it will be a translator too. It will be an agent, going out and doing cyber errands for you. For instance, I need a Japanese restaurant in Tulsa, near the Ramada Inn. Book a reservation and arrange transportation.

If there's no Japanese restaurant, try for Italian. Or voicemail Bob as follows: 'Bob, we accept your offer, but we'll need a draft of the deal memo by the 15th. Let me know if that's a problem.'

I call this device a Personal Information Telecommunications Agent, or Pita for short. The acronym also can stand for Pain in the Ass, which it is equally likely to be, because having all that connectivity is going to destroy what's left of everyone's privacy.

— David Gerrold, 1999

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gerrold#Other_works

Wednesday plays my favourite song by my favourite band.

Wednesday: "When I grow up I want to be as disturbed as Alice ... and do pills and tranqs." :lol:

It's impossible not to smile. :D

"A couple have been reunited with their cat 10 years after he went missing from their narrowboat."

Big Ginge was last seen by owners Colin Clayton and Eva Bellamy in 2011 while on their honeymoon near Fradley Junction - 25 miles from their Birmingham home.

Despite usually hopping on and off the boat, he disappeared and the couple registered him as missing.

They were shocked to receive a call to say he had been found in Staffordshire.

The couple's three cats, Weasel and her offspring Diesel and Big Ginge, then three, were used to living on the canal and went on and off the boat.

Mr Clayton said there had "never been an issue" with the cats finding their way home and then the other two cats came back without Big Ginge.

The couple stayed another five days searching before registering him as missing on his microchip.

Earlier this year, Cats Protection, Lichfield and Tamworth branch, said the team became aware of a stray in Lichfield, who they nicknamed Marmalade.

Sue Hocknell from the branch said: "Over time a local man fed him and gradually Marmalade began to trust him.

"I then got a call to say Marmalade had ventured into his flat and that he had a lump on his flank.

"I managed to get a quick vet appointment and that's when we discovered his true identity."

The lump was not found to be serious and Big Ginge is now back in his original home, but mystery surrounds where he has been over the last decade.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-59322766